BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-27-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Does it matter which contact lens cleaning solution I use?

it's been 20 years since I last wore contacts and just the last 2 month I've been wearing them again. question, does it really make a difference with the kind of solution you use to store them in overnight? i don't know if it's me but when the contacts were brand new i can see clearly. but as i put them away in the solution i use (Equate brand) i notice each day i feel like my vision gives me that just got out of the pool vision. kinda hazy? i don't know if it has anything to do with the cheaper solutions i use or if it's something i'm doing wrong? any advice from you guys...i would greatly appreciate it
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

a lot depends on your brand as well. I wear top of the line accuve oaysys contacts which i never take out; wear two weeks str8 and then remove. not recommended probably terrible for your eyes...nonetheless my sister cant wear the oaysys because she gets protein? deposits on them and her contacts get blurry. so she ssticks to your classic accuve 2.
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
cmyx6go15573.50
      12-27-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I usually use Opti-Free or Renu solutions. I wouldn’t skimp on lens solution
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #4
SenorRoadRage
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BSM F82

I've always used the cheap stuff and never had issues. Sometimes I get hazy vision as soon as I put them in for a few minutes as they adjust and settle properly in my eyes, but after that it's all good.

Gotta ask it - are you sure you haven't got them in the wrong eyes? I've done that before.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I wear dailies, so I never have to worry about cleaning them. Coopervision is the brand I get. I've tried a bunch of other brands, and the Coopervision seem to be the best fit for my eyes with the least amount of irritation. Keep in mind that everyones eyes are different, and different contacts/cleaning solutions may work better for different people.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      12-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
a lot depends on your brand as well. I wear top of the line accuve oaysys contacts which i never take out; wear two weeks str8 and then remove. not recommended probably terrible for your eyes...nonetheless my sister cant wear the oaysys because she gets protein? deposits on them and her contacts get blurry. so she ssticks to your classic accuve 2.
I haven't noticed a difference in solutions. But when I pull them out, I use the solution and my fingertips to "scrub" both sides lightly and it seems to help.

Some of my best wearing ones were the daily ones you change out each morning. So you had fresh contacts everyday even though I found you could get 2-3 good days out of a pair.

I'm in the same boat with the Oasys. Something about their composition really screws with my eyes...so I stick with the Acuvue 2's. There is a big debate online about Acuvue going to the new brand and peole not tolerating them.

My Dr. told me those (2's) will be harder to get...and I will need to start trying out some different brands.

I have heard good things about Hubble. If I can't find a comfortable one when I run out of my stock...I will probably go Lasik as my prescription hasn't changed in 20+ years.
      12-27-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

First is talk to your contact lens fitter - they may want to take a look at the lens and review cleaning instructions (cleaning by rubbing the lens) - they may recommend a way to deal with protein build-up.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #8
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I wear those also. You should be very careful and not wear them as long as you do. I used to keep them in for a straight two weeks. I ulcerated my cornea twice. I now take them out every few days.
      12-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #9
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorRoadRage View Post
I've always used the cheap stuff and never had issues. Sometimes I get hazy vision as soon as I put them in for a few minutes as they adjust and settle properly in my eyes, but after that it's all good.

Gotta ask it - are you sure you haven't got them in the wrong eyes? I've done that before.
i'm pretty sure as i take the left one out first put it in the holder and than the cap to close it and than the right side.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 09:57 AM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
I haven't noticed a difference in solutions. But when I pull them out, I use the solution and my fingertips to "scrub" both sides lightly and it seems to help.

Rmtt, is that what i'm suppose to be doing? scrubbing them a bit? now that i think about it that's what i use to do back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
First is talk to your contact lens fitter - they may want to take a look at the lens and review cleaning instructions (cleaning by rubbing the lens) - they may recommend a way to deal with protein build-up.
i'm wondering if that's what i'm seeing. protein build up? i thought the solution would automatically take care of that?

just to add i have i guess he calls the newer type of contacts as it does both bifocal and far distance. i tried wearing glasses but my head feels like it's in a fish bowl so it makes me feel off balance. these new contacts really help but now i need to fix this hazy sight i'm sorta seeing and i think it has to do with solutions and the fact i'm not rubbing them. do you guys rub them after taking them off or before putting them on?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #11
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
I used to have the ones that you store every night but the last year I switched to daily wear contacts and they're great. You put them on in the morning and throw them away when you're done. Ask about it next time you see your optometrist.

Edit, here is the solution I use and the daily contacts
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Rmtt, is that what i'm suppose to be doing? scrubbing them a bit? now that i think about it that's what i use to do back in the day

i'm wondering if that's what i'm seeing. protein build up? i thought the solution would automatically take care of that?

just to add i have i guess he calls the newer type of contacts as it does both bifocal and far distance. i tried wearing glasses but my head feels like it's in a fish bowl so it makes me feel off balance. these new contacts really help but now i need to fix this hazy sight i'm sorta seeing and i think it has to do with solutions and the fact i'm not rubbing them. do you guys rub them after taking them off or before putting them on?
I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years. Long ago, they had cleansing drops that you used to rub on the lens to get rid of the build up before you put them in the saline solution. It seems now the solution does both. I feel the new solution is kind of like all season tires. It works but not the same as doing it right. Do they still make the cleansing drops?
      12-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #13
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:

Cleaning by rubbing after u take the lens out of your eye - just before putting them in your case. Optometrist deal w this all the time so really is a good idea to let your contact lens fitter know and let them fix the issue.

And u may have a contact Rx that isn’t available in a daily wear version.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      12-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I've been wearing contacts for 30+ years. Long ago, they had cleansing drops that you used to rub on the lens to get rid of the build up before you put them in the saline solution. It seems now the solution does both. I feel the new solution is kind of like all season tires. It works but not the same as doing it right. Do they still make the cleansing drops?
Same here...since I was 15. Back then we had Hard Lenses so you could clean those pretty vigorously. I'm not sure if they still make the cleansing drops, but I do use the "re-wetter" drops that are out to put in my eye when my contacts are in. That seems to help them as well.

But I always pull mine out, put solution in my palm, and gently rub the lens to clean it. Then put it in fresh solution to store.

If I am disposing of them, I don't do any of that as you might expect.
      12-27-2019, 10:26 AM   #15
FuriouslyFast
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miss Daisy

Garage List
I use the Target brand solution for my silicone lenses
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
KennySRFElite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 6mt CP

No more solution for me, I wear Dailies. I will never go back to extended wear. Cost is very similar.
KP
Appreciate 3
Rmtt8206.00
Ickdeep5706.00
      12-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #17
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post

Some of my best wearing ones were the daily ones you change out each morning. So you had fresh contacts everyday even though I found you could get 2-3 good days out of a pair.

I'm in the same boat with the Oasys. Something about their composition really screws with my eyes...so I stick with the Acuvue 2's. There is a big debate online about Acuvue going to the new brand and peole not tolerating them.

My Dr. told me those (2's) will be harder to get...and I will need to start trying out some different brands.

I have heard good things about Hubble. If I can't find a comfortable one when I run out of my stock...I will probably go Lasik as my prescription hasn't changed in 20+ years.
I have dailies now that I wear for about 3-4 days. I've been wearing my glasses more. which is an improvement for me

Yeah the accuve 2s are hard to get a hold of. Def a money making scheme by accuve.

I also highly question there is any difference between dailies and your standard 2 week contacts. Just would be cost prohibitive to make two different kinds. But I could be wrong.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      12-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
MADBMWX5MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

I second the opinion of daily wear...imagine this...putting a fresh pair of contacts everyday without worrying about saline solutions, etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2019, 12:30 PM   #19
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

thanks for all the reply's gents! been watching a lot of YouTube videos and it looks like i haven't been cleaning my lenses or rubbing them like you guys mentioned. i will ask since they didn't say but do you rub both sides of the contact (inside/outside) or just the inside?

also, it was noted generic solutions are not as good as brand name one's so i'mma switch over as there's quite a few i should go with
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #20
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
i will ask since they didn't say but do you rub both sides of the contact (inside/outside) or just the inside?
When I wore extended wear contacts, I would always rub both sides. or just make a pool of cleaning solution in my (clean) hand and use my index finger to scrub it around a bit.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      12-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #21
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
When I wore extended wear contacts, I would always rub both sides. or just make a pool of cleaning solution in my (clean) hand and use my index finger to scrub it around a bit.
Same here. Doing it like this gets both sides.
      12-27-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
I wear top of the line accuve oaysys contacts which i never take out; wear two weeks str8 and then remove. not recommended probably terrible for your eyes...
Yes, terrible for your eyes. I used to have my contacts in for 16-19hrs a day since I kinda work a lot and my Optometrist would always cringe. Unless you are going with thin lenses that are meant to be breathable, you can slowly starve your corneas of oxygen. This will lead to abnormal blood vessels growth. Infection, corneal ulcers, and vision problems are other possible maladies that could occur as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
That's what I used to do....cup my hand, invert a contact lens and put it in my palm, pool contact solution, rub the contact, and rinse. Invert the lens again so it was right-side out, pool solution, rub, rinse, then store.

I used to get occasional protein deposits on my bi-weekly lenses but couldn't tie it to diet or stress or anything. Sometimes I'd get them early into the 2 week window, sometimes later, and sometime not at all. I found Ciba Vision (disk and buffer) to be the best mitigation but sometimes I wouldn't get all the overnight solution off and it'd sting my eyes.

Several years ago, I switched to daily lenses and couldn't be happier. I've been using BioTrue but have used CooperVision before. I forget why I switched...might have been price.