BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2020, 09:53 AM   #45
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I like the Q8 exterior styling, especially what Audi does with LED light strips on the back. When I test drove a Prestige, I was less than impressed with how it drove. The engine wasn't refined and the suspension was just OK. The 4 wheel steering was pretty sweet though and i will option it on my next X5. I much prefer the inline 6 in the BMW and the air suspension in the X5 makes it better riding than the Q8.

I like iDrive better than Audi MMI but mainly because BMW still has a control wheel and Audi has gone with touch for everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #46
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I actually owned a late model Q7 (and drove an R8 extensively, which is a different zip code entirely), and I'm guessing your perspective comes from someone who has not. Styling aside (which is in fact pretty plain-Jane to my eye in the Q7), few would argue the quality of Audi's interiors, perhaps yourself excepted. The fit and finish are on par with anything else in this price range in the luxury segment, backed up by any number of professional reviews. The quality of materials is equivalent to anything else put out by MB, BMW, RR or Porsche, depending on what you want to spend. To say that it isn't is, let's say, inaccurate.

That said, the design elements in the Q7 are the reason I'm driving a BMW. Touch screens for critical controls may be trendy, but are inefficient, to be kind, and arguably dangerous, to be accurate. My 2018 had standard buttons and not even touch capability, and the nav screen was a dash popup that looked like a Mazda add-on. It was missing many of the features of identical EU models, having nothing to do with US regulations - no cupholder covers, for example, or an actual automatic parking assist, or configurable presets. The tech was generations behind BMW, in spite of the cutesy Google Earth VC display on the instrument cluster. But the materials and workmanship for what was there were excellent. The engine and transmission were superb, although throttle lag was and still is a problem, and a dual-clutch isn't the best choice IMO in an SUV. But again, reviewed and reported more reliable than many German rivals, and I couldn't dispute that.

Another problem with Audi, not unlike Porsche, is that to get to the top tier of materials was pricey - way. My dash was plastic - soft plastic, and quality - but plastic. The door cards were plastic. A lot of the controls were plastic. Just using the configurator, that's what you got, even with the top level Prestige trim like mine. You could option an Audi with full leather with Audi Exclusive (the equivalent - sort of - for my full leather Merino in the G05, but more), but it would cost you around $20K extra. Yes, that's right. Even the cargo cover was extra in my car.

So yes, goodbye Audi and hello BMW - and not my first rodeo with BMW either having owned a previous 3 Series, 5 Series, an M5 and a diesel F15. But to argue Audi doesn't produce a quality car is pretty far off the mainstream.
I second this completely, having spent some time in both a previous gen Q5 and the current gen Q5. Their powertrains are definitely on par with MB/BMW (Keep in mind BMW is often a sleeper because of how BMW under rates their engines like our X5's B58). What gets me about them are the same thing, SO MUCH plastic. In fact, sometimes I think VW group uses a 3-tier strategy (low: VW, mid: Audi, high: Porsche) when it comes to quality vs the typical 2-tier (Toyota vs Lexus). Another point that supports my theory is pricing. Audi is almost ALWAYS cheaper in the segment. If you play with build configurator it's quite obvious. They always give you leather for free (where BMW/MB charges even in expensive cars like the X5), an identical Q5 will be thousands cheaper than a comparable X5. It's almost like Audi takes a Genesis approach and don't compete directly. It's also evident in their chassis. All the luxury German brands except Audi are basically RWD platforms. Yes I'm aware X1's and such are FWD but I'm talking models where BMW/MB are all RWD but Audi is FWD: 3/C vs A4, 5/E vs A6, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #47
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Not a fan of this update. I liked the looks of the pre-refresh, even if it was considered simple or boring.

However the new interior is much worse. Audi's old MMI was great, this new touchscreen one is awful and includes so much piano black plastic with huge amounts of dust, scratches and fingerprints (an OCD nightmare), and the great and tactile HVAC controls are now gone and put into the touchscreen. A mix between touchscreen and physical controls such as the interior of the Q3 would have been better. Not to mention in both pre and post-facelift the materials are still incredibly cheap feeling with too many plastics compared to a similarly equipped X5/7 which includes more soft touch materials, smooth leathers and a nice amount of stitching added.

Another problem is the new engine isn't as good. The old V6 was better due to its supercharged nature. However if the new engine loses the supercharger and is likely going to suffer from lag that is present in the new S4/5 with a similar powertrain.

Audi as of late seems to be producing a lot of misses. I miss their vehicles like the B8/8.5 A4 and A5 as well as the first generation A7 and previous A8.
      02-04-2020, 11:47 AM   #48
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

in order to steer this conversation back on track away from the Bling and the Golden Chains. Here is some more reviews.

A lot of people seem to like the car:
Audi Owner:
"Just put down a deposit on this one for my family. Smoothest ride from an SUV I’ve found and we test drove everything in the segment. Air suspension is almost cloud like, barely perceptible gear shifts, and engine is quiet but powerful.

Mercedes GLE and GLS ride is frankly cheap even with airmatic suspension but beautiful interior. BMW X5 has nauseating throttle response and engine breaking even in comfort mode. Cayenne was nice but to similarly equip it you’re at 90k."

German review of sq8 - no bad:
Appreciate 1
mcsa65.00
      02-04-2020, 09:55 PM   #49
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
I own a 2019 X5 40i
Test drove the 2020 Q7 today
Damn impressive interior and ride is way better than X5 with adaptive m suspension and better than the loaner X7 I had with air suspension

Feels more isolated from the road than X5
Lifeless steering (usual Audi trait,I know because I own one )
Overall I’d still prefer to drive the X5
But this is way closer to the X5 than the 2019 Q7
      02-06-2020, 08:41 AM   #50
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I own a 2019 X5 40i
Test drove the 2020 Q7 today
Damn impressive interior and ride is way better than X5 with adaptive m suspension and better than the loaner X7 I had with air suspension

Feels more isolated from the road than X5
Lifeless steering (usual Audi trait,I know because I own one )
Overall I’d still prefer to drive the X5
But this is way closer to the X5 than the 2019 Q7
What are your thoughts on power compared to x5.
Did you feel any lag in the engine.

There is a concern around Audi community about moving from Supercharged to turbo engine
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:07 AM   #51
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

There is a concern around Audi community about moving from Supercharged to turbo engine
I've driven both the supercharged (2018) - a lot - and turbocharged (2020) - test drives - versions of the Q7, and honestly didn't perceive a significant difference between them. There is a definite lag in pressing the throttle and acceleration - but I don't believe attributable to the engine. It's been reported numerous times in reviews for both the Q7 and Q5, and I've never seen the exact cause defined. My own personal suspicion is the dual-clutch transmission - and it doesn't happen predictably or consistently - usually from a dead stop to a quick acceleration: there is a distinct pause in the tranny catching up to pressing the accelerator, but not always, and not to the same degree - sometimes almost 0.5 seconds I'd estimate, sometimes almost none. One of the reasons it's such a joy to be back in BMW - never experienced anything like it in any BMW I owned.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5888.50
mcsa65.00
      02-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #52
Atchoom
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I've driven both the supercharged (2018) - a lot - and turbocharged (2020) - test drives - versions of the Q7, and honestly didn't perceive a significant difference between them. There is a definite lag in pressing the throttle and acceleration - but I don't believe attributable to the engine. It's been reported numerous times in reviews for both the Q7 and Q5, and I've never seen the exact cause defined. My own personal suspicion is the dual-clutch transmission - and it doesn't happen predictably or consistently - usually from a dead stop to a quick acceleration: there is a distinct pause in the tranny catching up to pressing the accelerator, but not always, and not to the same degree - sometimes almost 0.5 seconds I'd estimate, sometimes almost none. One of the reasons it's such a joy to be back in BMW - never experienced anything like it in any BMW I owned.
That lag issue is quite known and due to 1/ the transmission (tiptronic, single clutch, a bit clumsy) and 2/ power limitations for emission compliance. I have an A4 3.0 Tdi and my colleague the Q7 - same engine. If there has to be only one reason why I come back to BMW it is this one. And well, there are more...

For the second reason, they changed their ECU mapping after the VW "scandal" on emissions. The difference between a 2016 and a 2018 model is very clear. My 2016 MY already has that lag, it is worse now;

BMW transmissions are so much more responsive...

My colleague has just signed up for the new Q7 60 TFSiE (PH).. We'll see. Not been tested yet
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      02-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #53
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
The lag is real.... and one of the reasons we went with an X5 over a Q8.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #54
mcsa
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 M50d 2020

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:25 PM   #55
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

My personal car is the former generation S5 cabriolet with the supercharged engine
And I’ve driven the 2019 Q7 with the same engine
I think there is less lag on the supercharged engine vs the newer turbo
The DSG is a great gearbox but it’s very different than a regular automatic
And behaves as such. Try switching from 1st to reverse and wait like 4 seconds for any movement.
It’s basically an automated manual. But it shifts faster than most people can, but can be caught out when you are in 4th and accelerating and it’s prepared 5th for you then you suddenly take your foot off the gas when the lights go red, it takes a few seconds to figure (guess) what you are doing next
I prefer the instant response of the supercharged vs any turbo I’ve driven so far
Plus the super charged engine has a tune that takes it from 333hp to 450
Nothing like that yet for the newer turbocharged engine
      02-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #56
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
The lag is real.... and one of the reasons we went with an X5 over a Q8.
Q8 looks great.
But overpriced for what it is and it’s performance.
You wanna charge that much give me more than 335hp
But it does have a great interior.
      02-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #57
rexus300
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

The new Audi turbo lags are little annoying, not sure what Audi was smoking here. I have a 2016 A7 3.0T supercharger and wow that engine moves and is very responsive. It rockets to 60 plus without delay. When I drove the 2019 A7 loaner I noticed the dead feel in the peddle and some lag but it wasnt bad but then going back to my 2016 A7 I was happier with the responsiveness of my A7. The 2020 A7 I test drove was far better so I guess they are mapping the ECU differently but nonetheless the supercharger V6 they had was the best. I am going for the 2020 Audi RS7 so I am all good.

Back to the X5, I love the new one alot and plan to replace our 2015 X5d with the 2020 X5 40i but I am hoping we can get more than 550 miles on a tank highway driving for work commute. I will see the new Q7 and reserve judgement on it. I like how the current Q7 feels more solid and more planted than my 2015 X5 and a more heavier steering feel. The new MMI touch is actually awesome and is more fun to use than the older MMI though you lose the buttons but its more than sufficient. I cannot speak much to the idrive as I find it a little cumbersome to go to submenus etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #58
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
Q8 looks great.
But overpriced for what it is and it’s performance.
You wanna charge that much give me more than 335hp
But it does have a great interior.
100% agree with everything. The turbo lag along with the lack of performance at that price point just really killed it for us. With the options we wanted we were getting dangerously close to $90k, and then Audi doesn't even offer remote start (a bit of a necessity in Chicago). It was bittersweet in that we loved the look of it and the interior design.

Also, your pic of Ayrton Senna somehow adds twice the validity to everything you say.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 08:54 PM   #59
Madjackdog
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 40i X5

The horror! The horror! What were they thinking with that grill? The interior looks great, but give me BMW’s buttons anytime.
Appreciate 0