05-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #23
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post

So I ask you: where were his escape paths? Into the center divider? Into the back of the van in the lane to the right?
You have obviously never ridden between cars on the interstate....

There is a ton of room between the wall and the car and car and the car.

Should have done better.

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 3
zx10guy5149.50
Efthreeoh17197.50
      05-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #24
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
The driver landed on the trunk and stayed on. I think he did a pretty good job on that part.
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2017, 07:16 PM   #25
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post

Should have done better.
Did you even watch the video?
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 08:16 PM   #26
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Got run / pushed off the road, down a steeep hill, while on a motorcycle
years ago. That was enough for me, salute to those that do in current
traffic overload of drugs, drunks, and digital thumb demons !
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 08:24 PM   #27
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Got hit in March. Bike is finally fixed. Got hit similar fashion as that guy, but instead swiped on the side and I rolled off to the ground instead of onto the rear. Probably going around 30ish when I got hit. It was unavoidable.

You can only scan and predict as best you can. I had no exit route, it was packed traffic with a guy cutting into the carpool lane.

With the speed he was going, if he attempted to maneuver to the right, best bet he still clips the rear of that car and ends up in the middle of traffic getting run over.

Appreciate 1
      05-23-2017, 10:12 PM   #28
Ric in RVA
Bergspyder
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i Sport 6mt

Quote:
Did you even watch the video?
You don't ride do you?

There is enough room that either option is better than ramming speed straight up the ass.

My work is done here....Carry on!

2011 128i 6 MT Sport, 2009 Cayman 987.2, 2011 528i N52, 2018 F150 Platinum
Appreciate 2
      05-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #29
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

I daily commute my ZX6R to work and I take the freeway daily in the morning and evening. I see this kind of situation happening alot! But I will have to agree with those that ride and understand that there could be solutions from the rider to avoid this.
Yes, we all get it is not his fault the one driving that Camry is a complete restless driver! But a rider you have to be mentally prepare that every driver out there is like that! When I am in the carpool lane I am always slowing down ahead of time when I am approaching cars on my right side because I know one of them could do a move like this, or riding not too much in the center but closer to the right, I honestly think it would give you more room to split lane if a driver pulls something like this.
You can't ride a bike thinking everyone is going to respect you and the laws, you need to think completely the opposite.
You can say I am wrong, is your believe against my, everyone thinks different but from my point of view that rider look like he was riding as calm as thinking everyone around respects the laws! I bet he will be twice or even more precaution when riding now.
(Just my opinion)
Appreciate 4
      05-24-2017, 12:51 AM   #30
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Given that I f*kin hate people who cross the double yellow car-pool lane divider (both coming in and going out), that biker must've been as high as the car guys. I replayed the video and the biker had 3 full seconds from when the idiots crossed the double yellow to the biker hitting the car. What the hell was the biker looking at? Did he even brake?
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2017, 01:55 AM   #31
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
No the car is 100% at fault....but as I have told my three sons who all right.

WHO THE FUCK CARES IF YOU ARE RIGHT AND DEAD????

You as a biker most develop a constant awareness of all the drivers around you and be ready for anything. To find places to put the bike if you are pulled out on, cut off or the like. It will happen and how painful it is is totally up to you in many cases.

The plan here is brake hard. Pick an escape route and go there.

Instead we probably got (rear) brake and no decisive action or recognition that there were options. Target fixation at its finest.

FOCUS YOUR LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO SINCE YOU ARE GOING THERE. NEVER FOCUS YOUR VISION WHERE YOU DON'T WANT TO GO AS IT EXCLUDES ALTERNATIVES.

Given that situation I would not have hit that car.
This
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #32
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

8 on the takeoff
10 on the landing, stuck it nicely!

In all seriousness, glad he is ok. You can always be more aware of your surroundings but it is clear the driver is legally at fault.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #33
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:

Should have done better.
I have noticed that since I started riding in the California, lane splitting has made me much better at evasive maneuvers. Once you are comfortable with lane splitting, you are able to better utilize the space that is available between cars.

In this situation, I would've split the lanes. One of the warnings that I saw in the video was the Camry's first lane change at 0:19. When I see someone make a quick lane change like that in traffic, I like to cover the brake in anticipation of a second lane change by the car.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2017, 08:42 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Watch the biker's other videos. He's an asshole who likes to create situations for his channel. He's aggressive and he behaves like a maniac. He doesn't drive defensively, he drive offensively, putting himself into situations to shock the other motorists and his viewers just a prove a point. I wouldn't be surprised if he purposefully wanted to get super close to this car just for the camera to prove a point, but misjudged and actually ended up hitting the car. Yes, the car is entirely at fault, but like some of you said, this could have been avoided by the motorcyclist as well.

I respect the road, and I respect the motorists, especially motorcyclists who are more at risk than us in cars. I always try and give space and I am extra vigilant for bikes. But this guy is an asshole and if he acts like an asshole ALL THE TIME on the road, chances are he was going to get into an accident. Seriously, this guy is a pretentious douche bag.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9698.00
      05-25-2017, 02:18 AM   #35
stevenopoly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 350z

you guys are being way too harsh on the rider. all of those small cams have a very wide angle of view which makes it seem like he's going slower than he actually is. You think he has a lot of time to react, but the reality is it was probably shorter than it seemed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 02:38 AM   #36
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Quote:
Why are we blaming the guy on the bike? The idiots in the car made the illegal move. Everyone's so quick to judge but this guy had about 2 seconds to react, he didn't have the luxury like we do of watching it over and over on Youtube to figure out the best plan of action.

As a rider myself I really wanna strangle those guys in the car.
This ^ . You cant change direction to fast or brake hard in a bike. It will be more dangerous. And 2 sec is nothing in this short distance. I had similar situation driving in right line on 35mph street. approaching red light which turned green . There was only one car in my lane which was also moving ~30 mph. both left and right lanes had few cars stopped . the car in front of me passes these cars and all of sudden one of drivers in the middle lane decided not to wait for cars in front of him and changed in my lane. I see it in like slow motion him moving in my lane. I applied brakes but it takes time to see and react. Point is people dont pay attention and it takes time to react . Bikes are not cars. if he moves right will get run over by another car . if he moves left will be between wall and that car - its worst scenario.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #37
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The Camry is at fault because of the double lines but the biker was not driving defensively. There's major traffic and you're speeding in the adjacent lane. To add to that, you're driving a bike which is difficult for anybody to see, especially when it comes out of nowhere going over 80 mph.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      05-25-2017, 09:14 AM   #38
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Watch the biker's other videos. He's an asshole who likes to create situations for his channel. He's aggressive and he behaves like a maniac. He doesn't drive defensively, he drive offensively, putting himself into situations to shock the other motorists and his viewers just a prove a point. I wouldn't be surprised if he purposefully wanted to get super close to this car just for the camera to prove a point, but misjudged and actually ended up hitting the car. Yes, the car is entirely at fault, but like some of you said, this could have been avoided by the motorcyclist as well.

I respect the road, and I respect the motorists, especially motorcyclists who are more at risk than us in cars. I always try and give space and I am extra vigilant for bikes. But this guy is an asshole and if he acts like an asshole ALL THE TIME on the road, chances are he was going to get into an accident. Seriously, this guy is a pretentious douche bag.
Saw this too in the comments. I've noticed that nearly every one of these bikers are major asshats who act entitled to the road. They become very violent, even when people in cars make honest mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #39
HXS
Licensed Drug Dealer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Just saw one of the biker's vids. Guy is a major d-bag. D-bag even illegally crossed a double yellow carpool lane himself. What a hypocrite
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 12:08 PM   #40
jeff113
Private
Rep
Drives: M2C, Focus RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenopoly View Post
you guys are being way too harsh on the rider. all of those small cams have a very wide angle of view which makes it seem like he's going slower than he actually is. You think he has a lot of time to react, but the reality is it was probably shorter than it seemed.
The wide angle of view caused time dilation in the video???
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #41
Fast4d
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

I love ABS on my bikes. you don't have to think just squeeze. I tend to lock up briefly on that initial brake application during a panic stop.

as a rider I rather NOT hit anything even if they are in the wrong.

ride like they all want you dead and MOST IMPORTANT keep the speed delta down.

watch those empty spaces as you lane split. cars will dive into them.

as for them Hardleys. they fucking suck.
Appreciate 2
jeff11365.00
Efthreeoh17197.50
      05-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #42
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

Correct me if I'm wrong, far as I can tell the biker didn't even brake. Watching his right hand, he covers the brake but does not apply. In addition there was no dip in the front suspension to indicate hard breaking.

Agreed the car is at fault, but also would state that the biker had plenty of time to react and choose an escape route instead of slamming into the back of the car. He should have started breaking the instant that car moved into the lane and searching for an escape route. It appears that it was intentional that he wanted to get real close so as to may make it appear worse than it really was (speculation), similar to those asshats that jump on the gas and starts tailgating when someone pulls out in front of them, simply because the are an asshat.

And yes I am an avid rider. Been riding over 20 years and still riding. From rockets to cruisers. From street, to twisties to track. I ride as if every other driver on the roads is out to side swipe me, turn left in front of me, pull out in front of me and to rear end me....... to include other bikers.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17197.50
      05-25-2017, 07:54 PM   #43
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Doc View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, far as I can tell the biker didn't even brake. Watching his right hand, he covers the brake but does not apply. In addition there was no dip in the front suspension to indicate hard breaking.

Agreed the car is at fault, but also would state that the biker had plenty of time to react and choose an escape route instead of slamming into the back of the car. He should have started breaking the instant that car moved into the lane and searching for an escape route. It appears that it was intentional that he wanted to get real close so as to may make it appear worse than it really was (speculation), similar to those asshats that jump on the gas and starts tailgating when someone pulls out in front of them, simply because the are an asshat.

And yes I am an avid rider. Been riding over 20 years and still riding. From rockets to cruisers. From street, to twisties to track. I ride as if every other driver on the roads is out to side swipe me, turn left in front of me, pull out in front of me and to rear end me....... to include other bikers.
I agree. This asshat was trying to make a statement with aggressive driving and while the car is at fault, the motorcycle rider was being an idiot. Look at his other videos, he's asking for trouble.

He also deleted his video where he claimed a car took his lane so he started swerving in front of the car and acting recklessly. He urged the car to pull over and started cursing and getting angry at the guy and the guy had enough and kicked his whiney ass.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2017, 02:37 PM   #44
Navy Doc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

I saw that one. What a bitch looking for trouble, finding it and gets his ass kicked.
Appreciate 0