05-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Steve Jobs had a lot of money and made good business decisions. But his fashion statements aren't exactly his strong suit.
Steve Jobs understood the relationships between design and function better than almost anyone else in the 20th century. I really shouldn't have to say more than that, as it relates to his choice of DD -- especially on a BMW forum.

Anyway ... as for the Latigo/Tramonto: Those were intended to be the electric version of a Rolls-Royce. Note how some of its lines mimic an E63 6 Series. There's a reason for that since it woudl have been built on a 6 Series chassis that the customer supplied. So really those cars are more like a hybrid/EV Alpina than anything.

Oh ... and 650HP. Yeah, there's that, too.

Besides ... for 2005, this rear end is pretty damn stunning:

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Yuck. It's style. It doesn't work to my eyes. And when the Karma came out, many folks thought the bland Tesla looked better.

The amusing thing is that I've never said I don't like the Z8 design. I love the 507 and it was just a copy of that, so it's not all bad. I was disappointed in the drive of the car, a lighter, smaller car with the E39 M5 motor seemed much more promising. But the design was not bad, just part of a silly trend of the late 90's, early aughts to rehash the past, nearly exactly, like the Thunderturd above. One of my neighbors has a Z8 and a 635CSi, I love one, I'm indifferent to the other.

Jobs wasn't a car guy, let's not pretend that he was. If Wozniak drove a Camry, would we all decide those were cool? Maybe like Jobs I'll just go toss the plate and keep the lines clean.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #25
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRE_Wheels View Post
Quote:
Crap, forgot about the V8. That is good. All the rest had better originals. The Z8 is no better than this.
[IMG]http://consumerguide.com/wp-content/...3141990005.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
You really think the Z8 falls outside of the same retro design of the Beetle, Thunderbird and others? It's just a half assed modernization of the wildly more original and prettier 507.
Even I got a laugh out of this.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #26
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Jobs wasn't a car guy, let's not pretend that he was. If Wozniak drove a Camry, would we all decide those were cool? Maybe like Jobs I'll just go toss the plate and keep the lines clean.
Not pretending that he was. What he was was a form-follows-function guy, and it's well known that he chose the Z8 because, with cost as no object, he considered it the best form-follows-function car available at the time.

No offense, but Wozniak was the electrical/hardware innards/code geek of the two; he had little input in the exterior design of any Apple product after the original Apple I -- including the Apple II. I wouldn't be surprised if he drove a Camry at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:39 PM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Seen a few in the Seattle area but it's been a couple years. Seems like after the early adopters got tired of them they dumped their Karmas for good. Nobody wants one on the used market for obvious reasons.

Such a waste of a great design. That front never looked good but overall it's just a stunner.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 06:40 PM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Steve Jobs understood the relationships between design and function better than almost anyone else in the 20th century. I really shouldn't have to say more than that, as it relates to his choice of DD -- especially on a BMW forum.

Anyway ... as for the Latigo/Tramonto: Those were intended to be the electric version of a Rolls-Royce. Note how some of its lines mimic an E63 6 Series. There's a reason for that since it woudl have been built on a 6 Series chassis that the customer supplied. So really those cars are more like a hybrid/EV Alpina than anything.

Oh ... and 650HP. Yeah, there's that, too.

Besides ... for 2005, this rear end is pretty damn stunning:

That thing looked like a Bangle 6er with a Maserati Quatro front grafted on. Ass is off the Z8.
Appreciate 0