BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Ringo2712
Private
Panama
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Rough Transmission

The tranny on my 40i Sport is not running smooth. When it changes from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd under normal acceleration it changes rough. Under moderate to hard acceleration it feels normal. Also when slowing down and the gears come down is very noticeable like if it was a manual tranny and you can feel the car holding down.

This is my third X5 and never felt anything like this on my previous ones or any other car I have driven. The dealers says is normal because the tranny has been improved over the F15 one which I think is totally BS....no one improves for the worse.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of behavior with their tranny's?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

No not normal at all, the only time I can feel a shift is in sport or sport +. Take it to another dealer.
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
gpitts247.00
      06-28-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
No not normal at all, the only time I can feel a shift is in sport or sport +. Take it to another dealer.
This! 100%.

Mine is smooth as silk no matter how I accelerate except sport or sport+, then you feel it a bit more.
      06-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Agree the acceleration roughness is not normal — upshifts for me are very smooth. However, I do notice that the downshifts when slowing down to a stop are noticeable and a little annoying.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #5
maczrool
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M50i Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Agree the acceleration roughness is not normal — upshifts for me are very smooth. However, I do notice that the downshifts when slowing down to a stop are noticeable and a little annoying.
Same.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
dream54ing
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428xi F32- X5 X5 G05 -640i F06

ask them to test drive another one on the lot with you and tell them to replicate the same thing! total BS, we dont feel much if any at acceleration or slowing down
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #7
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

I felt the same when it's slowing down.
Especially in slow traffic conditions like around 11-14, it's very jerky.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #8
semibypass
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

Has anyone found a resolution to rough acceleration and de-acceleration? I have a rough (jerky) acceleration problem that is random and pretty annoying. One day it will drive relatively smooth (with a normally short range drive), another day, it will be really jerky with a gentle acceleration, such as at a traffic light accelerating behind someone. It gets worse in ECO mode. I've noticed it was pretty smooth after a software update for some period of time, but it eventually started to return. I can't really reproduce it for the dealer due to it being so unpredictable. I drove a loaner car (same model, year, same total mileage of around 900 mi) on the same route for a day without any problems.
Appreciate 1
saloum0.00
      10-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
dan321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Jerky acceleration isn't right. There are a lot of things that can cause jerky acceleration. I assume that when the dealer had the car, they found no error codes? If you can't reproduce it, I don't know how you will get it fixed.

I'd suggest logging each time it occurs in a notebook. Include time, duration, speed, conditions, and your description of the roughness and anything else you think might be significant. Then go back to the dealer with the log, and maybe you can get the dealer to fix it. You will probably have to be persistent.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
semibypass
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan321 View Post
Jerky acceleration isn't right. There are a lot of things that can cause jerky acceleration. I assume that when the dealer had the car, they found no error codes? If you can't reproduce it, I don't know how you will get it fixed.

I'd suggest logging each time it occurs in a notebook. Include time, duration, speed, conditions, and your description of the roughness and anything else you think might be significant. Then go back to the dealer with the log, and maybe you can get the dealer to fix it. You will probably have to be persistent.
No, the dealer didn’t find any error codes. Thank you for the advice, I will definitely monitor and keep track of those details. Hopefully I can get it fixed soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
buddiluv
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo2712 View Post
The tranny on my 40i Sport is not running smooth. When it changes from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd under normal acceleration it changes rough. Under moderate to hard acceleration it feels normal. Also when slowing down and the gears come down is very noticeable like if it was a manual tranny and you can feel the car holding down.

This is my third X5 and never felt anything like this on my previous ones or any other car I have driven. The dealers says is normal because the tranny has been improved over the F15 one which I think is totally BS....no one improves for the worse.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this kind of behavior with their tranny's?
@Ringo2712, I am having the exact same issues that you described with my brand new 2019 X5 xDrive 40i. Have you (or anyone else) been able to get this fixed by your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 04:25 PM   #12
mnx5er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 3.5i

There is something up with the transmission in odd cases. If I’m in sport mode and come off a freeway slowing down, then accelerate hard on a turn the X5 kind of lunges on and off. I’ve had this happen a few times on hard accelerations coming off high gears. It’s an odd end case, otherwise it is smooth.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
buddiluv
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnx5er View Post
There is something up with the transmission in odd cases. If I’m in sport mode and come off a freeway slowing down, then accelerate hard on a turn the X5 kind of lunges on and off. I’ve had this happen a few times on hard accelerations coming off high gears. It’s an odd end case, otherwise it is smooth.
I'm not sure that I've experienced this yet, but will keep an eye on this. My transmission only seems to be jerky/rough at low speeds and when up-shifting or down-shifting in the low gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd gear). Has anyone had their dealer look into this? If so, what was the outcome?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:54 AM   #14
Olsen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 50i

Hello
50i (NOT M50I)
I have same problem
Small speed. 3-2-1 boom

How to solve the problem? The update did not help. The dealer does not see the problem. Especially noticeable when switching 3-2-1
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
deathstrike
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2016

hi
i have a new bmw X5 g05(bulid) in november 2019 and
i am having the same problem with the rough/jerking gear changing at low speed. (on comfort mode setting )
is there and update on this problem? thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #16
semibypass
United_States
Rep

Here is my personal observation of the problem. I have ~4000 miles on my 2019 X5 x40i. All my observations are coming from information collected from a 4K DVR and a relatively fast GPS receiver for speed measurements, and a fast and sensitive accelerometer/motion processing unit in my vehicle (a cell phone accelerometer is too slow to register this kind of problem).
First, it is not really a physical transmission problem (at least not that I have noticed yet). I would call it a “bug” or gremlin inside the Front Collision system and Parking Distance Control system, and in the Automatic Emergency Braking system.
This bug is causing improper information processing from KAFAS and ultrasonic sensors, and possibly the front/side radar sensor (but I can not support the last part of this statement, because my vehicle does not have it), causing a short period of de-acceleration (approximately in the range of 0.1-0.3 second). This de-acceleration itself is just a beginning of the problem. The adaptive transmission algorithm is learning this improper behavior and making it much worse.
I know a some people on this forum also reported a jerky de-acceleration in traffic, jerky cornering at low speed, and absurd behavior of the Auto Start/Stop system in near-stop conditions or having the engine randomly engage when perpendicular traffic is crossing ahead. It is likely some of these problems have the same root and caused by same gremlin.
The reason why this problem is so random is because it involves so many factors: the Driver Assist package your car has, the presence of the traffic in your daily commute, type of the traffic, consistency of the traffic conditions in your total commute, distances between your car and those front of you and the cars on the side of you, the speed of your vehicle, the speed of other cars around you, and also depends greatly on your style of driving.
The reason I am saying this is because the time frame for this problem to manifest is very short. I my case this occurs when I accelerate slowly, the speed of the vehicle is less than 20 mph, and there are cars around of the vehicle. Based on the data collected from my GPS and accelerometer the “JERK/JOLT” appears in between the gear switches, and not with the gear switches as I had thought originally. After the problem was learned by the adaptive transmission algorithm, the car can develop this behavior even in the absence of some of these factors and may, for example, start doing it several times in a row during acceleration.

Unfortunately no dealer nor BMW NA seem to really care or are not capable of fixing the problem in my experience!

A SOLUTION, although short term, to this problem is to the reset of the Adaptive Transmission. It is not fixing the root of the problem and will not gives you long term relief, in my experience, unless you are generally alone on the road.
But at least it is better than to live with the great wall of silence and complete incompetence in regards to this issue from BMW NA and some of their dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #17
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
For the first 10000 miles, the extended warranty should be available at the same price as new. It might be a good investment. You can get it from any dealer. Ask for their best price. Then ask if a rebate is available.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Smooth on acceleration. Some jerkiness on downshifts when decelerating no matter what drive mode I'm in. It's slightly annoying.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 09:23 PM   #19
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Smooth on acceleration. Some jerkiness on downshifts when decelerating no matter what drive mode I'm in. It's slightly annoying.
Having the same rough downshift randomly when driving slow. Anyone find a solution to this? Should I be concerned about the tranny going bad in the long run?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:28 AM   #20
Zethii
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by semibypass View Post
Here is my personal observation of the problem. I have ~4000 miles on my 2019 X5 x40i. All my observations are coming from information collected from a 4K DVR and a relatively fast GPS receiver for speed measurements, and a fast and sensitive accelerometer/motion processing unit in my vehicle (a cell phone accelerometer is too slow to register this kind of problem).
First, it is not really a physical transmission problem (at least not that I have noticed yet). I would call it a “bug” or gremlin inside the Front Collision system and Parking Distance Control system, and in the Automatic Emergency Braking system.
This bug is causing improper information processing from KAFAS and ultrasonic sensors, and possibly the front/side radar sensor (but I can not support the last part of this statement, because my vehicle does not have it), causing a short period of de-acceleration (approximately in the range of 0.1-0.3 second). This de-acceleration itself is just a beginning of the problem. The adaptive transmission algorithm is learning this improper behavior and making it much worse.
I know a some people on this forum also reported a jerky de-acceleration in traffic, jerky cornering at low speed, and absurd behavior of the Auto Start/Stop system in near-stop conditions or having the engine randomly engage when perpendicular traffic is crossing ahead. It is likely some of these problems have the same root and caused by same gremlin.
The reason why this problem is so random is because it involves so many factors: the Driver Assist package your car has, the presence of the traffic in your daily commute, type of the traffic, consistency of the traffic conditions in your total commute, distances between your car and those front of you and the cars on the side of you, the speed of your vehicle, the speed of other cars around you, and also depends greatly on your style of driving.
The reason I am saying this is because the time frame for this problem to manifest is very short. I my case this occurs when I accelerate slowly, the speed of the vehicle is less than 20 mph, and there are cars around of the vehicle. Based on the data collected from my GPS and accelerometer the “JERK/JOLT” appears in between the gear switches, and not with the gear switches as I had thought originally. After the problem was learned by the adaptive transmission algorithm, the car can develop this behavior even in the absence of some of these factors and may, for example, start doing it several times in a row during acceleration.

Unfortunately no dealer nor BMW NA seem to really care or are not capable of fixing the problem in my experience!

A SOLUTION, although short term, to this problem is to the reset of the Adaptive Transmission. It is not fixing the root of the problem and will not gives you long term relief, in my experience, unless you are generally alone on the road.
But at least it is better than to live with the great wall of silence and complete incompetence in regards to this issue from BMW NA and some of their dealerships.
Interesting!
By turning off all front collision and pdc systems for a while would it improve behaviour?
I'm not having problems but maybe worth a try for those who are having trouble...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #21
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

I'm having this issue with my X7 just wondered if anyone is still suffering this or found any fix ?
      09-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #22
ketrab
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F25 2.8i , '21 G5 45e

Mine tranny is at 110k with recent fluid change runs like butter. These ZF trans are superior and should run super smooth.
Appreciate 0