BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M 2024, Mustang MACH 1

X6 Luggage compartment package - The Net

So I got the luggage compartment package that comes with those automated aluminum-rubber railings that keep the luggage from sliding. There are also some points where you can hook a net onto (the net came with the car).

My question is, how?? I attach photos of one of my attempts to make use of this extra option. The net cannot be unfolded to cover the whole trunk bottom, has four hooks and looks like it could serve as a horizontal pouch or a vertical bag...sort of. Any ideas, any photos?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:38 AM   #2
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Should look more like this if I follow the instructions in the manual of my x5. The bottom ones hook in the eyelets on the floor under the rubber mat
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      02-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
My X5 with the Luggage Package:

Name:  20200216_093127.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  337.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #4
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 35i, '20 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
why do you have the cargo net in the back like that? what purpose does that serve?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #5
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thereef510 View Post
why do you have the cargo net in the back like that? what purpose does that serve?
It serves the purpose of holding small things that I don't want to roll around, and it secures my long ice scraper/brush and my folded sunscreen, which are behind it. Note the included anchor points, arranged for that specific purpose. I use a cargo box for securing other items in the cargo bay, and the folding hooks on the walls for bags. I could secure it close to the hatch, but I'd have to cut holes in my cargo mat, which I've done in the past but not on this car. Not as accessible in the back, which may be your point, but it depends on how you want to arrange your particular cargo area, and the function of the net doesn't change wherever it's placed.

Last edited by Paladin1; 02-16-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
thereef5101163.00
      02-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #6
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think you can do both. I don't use it but I just followed the instructions and then took it out again. You could put small things in so they don't move around ( if you put in the the back position) if you put it in front it's hard to reach.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #7
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It serves the purpose of holding small things that I don't want to roll around, and it secures my long ice scraper/brush and my folded sunscreen, which are behind it. I use a cargo box for securing other items in the cargo bay, and the folding hooks on the walls for bags. I could secure it close to the hatch, but I'd have to cut holes in my cargo mat, which I've done in the past but not on this car. Depends on how you want to arrange your particular cargo area, in your car.
I think I have the same floor mat and you can just put them around without cutting holes

For putting in the ice scraper it makes sense indeed to put it more in the front.

By the way how to you get the automatic cover functioning with the mat?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I think I have the same floor mat and je can just put them around without cutting holes

For putting in the ice scraper it makes sense indeed to put it more in the front.

The automatic cover functions fine - I have the shorter Luggage Package mat so I don't have to shift it around or remove it when I lower the cover - it also gives me access to the anchor points on the floor without cutting the mat, although you could use a full mat and just cut out the holes over the anchors. I've never had great success at cutting holes in my cargo mats and having them look decent, hence this compromise, but if you're handy with an X-Acto knife you could anchor a net front or back. Or just eliminate the mat.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I think I have the same floor mat and je can just put them around without cutting holes

The automatic cover functions fine - I have the shorter Luggage Package mat so I don't have to shift it around or remove it when I lower the cover - it also gives me access to the anchor points on the floor without cutting the mat, although you could use a full mat and just cut out the holes over the anchors. I've never had great success at cutting holes in my cargo mats and having them look decent, hence this compromise, but if you're handy with an X-Acto knife you could anchor a net front or back. Or just eliminate the mat.
That's good German thinking to make a shorter mat for cars with automatic cover. I don't have it because it is not compatible with the 45e because of the battery. The rubber bars neither. So luggage pack with the 45e is only the nets in the trunk and the usb c and comfort system and blinds in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #10
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for all the info and advice, I tried to play with it a bit and I'm still not sure how usefull this small net thing is. If I try to make a "bag" out of it, there are realy no metal points where I can hook it on as far as the upper side of the trunk goes. I took a picture of what looks like a plastic opening that allows you to unscrew the whole side boot plastic cover (just a guess)...and that's the only point where I can attach the net to.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscross View Post
Thanks for all the info and advice, I tried to play with it a bit and I'm still not sure how usefull this small net thing is. If I try to make a "bag" out of it, there are realy no metal points where I can hook it on as far as the upper side of the trunk goes. I took a picture of what looks like a plastic opening that allows you to unscrew the whole side boot plastic cover (just a guess)...and that's the only point where I can attach the net to.
I think you attached it like it should be. The upper ones are in plastic indeed. Not in metal.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Why didnt we get a alcantara cover thing that says X5 on it??? the X6 a and X7 got it wtf
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Why didnt we get a alcantara cover thing that says X5 on it??? the X6 a and X7 got it wtf
You mean the foldable cargo cover on X6 or cargo cover panels on X7? Probably because the X6 sloping rear roofline and useable cargo length is shorter than X5 - the hard cargo cover creates a coupe-like shelf space.

Same for X7, usable cargo length behind 3rd row seating is short and doesn't require retractable cover.

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:09 PM   #14
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You mean the foldable cargo cover on X6 or cargo cover panels on X7? Probably because the X6 sloping rear roofline and useable cargo length is shorter than X5 - the hard cargo cover creates a coupe-like shelf space.

Same for X7, usable cargo length behind 3rd row seating is short and doesn't require retractable cover.
...and it's not covered in alcantara leather (at least not on the X6). Hope you feel a bit better now
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #15
thereef510
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...and it's not covered in alcantara leather (at least not on the X6). Hope you feel a bit better now
i don't, i want a x5 thing that thiefs can look into the back window and see it says x5 in big block letters and wonder if its worth breaking into the truck
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #16
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Btw, I just realized today that the foldable trunk cover on the X6 can be nicely stored under the main compartment, fits right in...Noice!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #17
OSCORP
Private
Colombia
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

Would it fit with a spare tire store there?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #18
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCORP View Post
Don't think so...too shalow. The only spare you might fit there is a bicycle one. Honestly, I don't have runflats on the 22"s and there's no spare either. I'm not sure I would be changing a tire myself anyway...I'd just use the BMW roadside assistance
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:22 PM   #19
chriscross
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCORP View Post
Don't think so...too shalow. The only spare you might fit there is a bicycle one. Honestly, I don't have runflats on the 22"s and there's no spare either. I'm not sure I would be changing a tire myself anyway...I'd just use the BMW roadside assistance
Just realized that I got your question wrong I have no idea how much space there is if you optioned a spare tire and if the foldable cover still has its place down there in that case...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 12:36 PM   #20
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
i don't, i want a x5 thing that thiefs can look into the back window and see it says x5 in big block letters and wonder if its worth breaking into the truck
And the X5 badge on the exterior/rear wouldn't do the trick?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0