BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #1
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

Turn car off

I know this has been discussed, but has anyone figured out how to prevent the car from staying on? I have had this car for almost a year and a half and still can’t figure it out. I have all the comfort access stuff turned off. The car (usually) turn off if after driving, out in park, and the off button pushed.

But, the car will stay on if any door is opened, even if only to get something out — car not started, no buttons pushed, nothing. Just open the door, and the car will stay on indefinitely until locked with the fob, or manually turned off with the radio power button.

I thought that having Bluetooth turned off on my phone would help, but it doesn’t.

Stuff like this aggravates the hell out of me.

Any solutions out there?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
0_steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i/20 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
I know this has been discussed, but has anyone figured out how to prevent the car from staying on? I have had this car for almost a year and a half and still can’t figure it out. I have all the comfort access stuff turned off. The car (usually) turn off if after driving, out in park, and the off button pushed.

But, the car will stay on if any door is opened, even if only to get something out — car not started, no buttons pushed, nothing. Just open the door, and the car will stay on indefinitely until locked with the fob, or manually turned off with the radio power button.

I thought that having Bluetooth turned off on my phone would help, but it doesn’t.

Stuff like this aggravates the hell out of me.

Any solutions out there?
This happened quite a bit in my 5 series. The passenger seat sensor may need to be looked at. It may think there is a passenger still in the car. Opening the passenger door will likely shut it down.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:45 PM   #3
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0_steve View Post
This happened quite a bit in my 5 series. The passenger seat sensor may need to be looked at. It may think there is a passenger still in the car. Opening the passenger door will likely shut it down.
Opening the passenger door is guaranteed to make this happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Do you mean how can you have all the electronics stay off? I don't think that's possible and it's by design that the car is responsive to your presence. You have to trust that the vehicle is smart enough to do its own power management. This is the way of the future for vehicles - my neighbor's Tesla X, for example, keeps its taillights on all the time while charging, which always makes me think he's left his car on in his garage.

When you exit the vehicle and walk away (or, if you've disabled Comfort Access for some reason, press the lock button) it will shut down the engine and all electronics.

I don't even bother to press the start/stop button to turn the engine off. With auto start/stop I trust that it will go from Ready to Off when I lock it.
Archived: 2019 BMW X5 50i M Sport Mineral White/Full Black,2019 Ford GT350 Ford Performance Blue/Dark Slate, 2012 BMW X5 50i Alpine White/Black, 2014 BMW 320i M Sport Melbourne Red/Black, 2009 BMW DINAN3 Alpine White/Black, 2008 BMW 335xi Alpine White/Black, 1998 BMW 328is Avus Blue/Tan
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      03-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
Do you mean how can you have all the electronics stay off? I don't think that's possible and it's by design that the car is responsive to your presence. You have to trust that the vehicle is smart enough to do its own power management. This is the way of the future for vehicles - my neighbor's Tesla X, for example, keeps its taillights on all the time while charging, which always makes me think he's left his car on in his garage.

When you exit the vehicle and walk away (or, if you've disabled Comfort Access for some reason, press the lock button) it will shut down the engine and all electronics.

I don't even bother to press the start/stop button to turn the engine off. With auto start/stop I trust that it will go from Ready to Off when I lock it.

Here is a great example - if the car is parked in the garage, and I go in it to grab something (don’t turn it on, don’t push any button, simply open the door), shut the door, and go back inside. I can come back an hour later and it will still be on.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 01:19 PM   #6
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

I would look through the vehicle settings menu to see if there's an electronics time out setting. It seems like the car should turn off parking lights and other electronics after say 10 minutes of inactivity.

If there isn't one, disabling Comfort Access and not pressing the lock button may be an edge case that BMW didn't account for.

Why did you disable CA?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #7
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maboomba View Post
I would look through the vehicle settings menu to see if there's an electronics time out setting.
There isn't.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 02:22 PM   #8
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

My solution is to just let CA automatically lock itself when I walk away. I've never locked my car in the garage before but this way, I'm sure it's off.
      03-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
I disabled Comfort Access, too, because the car would unlock every time I went in the garage to take out the garbage or check the mail. It was like a dog wanting me to take it for a walk. But it does not cause my engine to keep running. I think you should have a dealer look at it.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer-Bimmer View Post
I disabled Comfort Access, too, because the car would unlock every time I went in the garage to take out the garbage or check the mail. It was like a dog wanting me to take it for a walk. But it does not cause my engine to keep running. I think you should have a dealer look at it.
Do you carry your keys with you all of the time? Mine stays locked unless I've got my key on me, but since I only carry my key when I'm using that car, not when I put out the garbage and stuff, it doesn't behave the way yours does. :

I love the way CA works now.
      03-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #11
Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Do you carry your keys with you all of the time? Mine stays locked unless I've got my key on me, but since I only carry my key when I'm using that car, not when I put out the garbage and stuff, it doesn't behave the way yours does. :

I love the way CA works now.
Yes I carry my keys all the time (but not my wife's key). When I don't I tend to get locked out of the house.
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00