Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 G05 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSMC55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_G0530d View Post
Mine is a January 2019 build date, and Driving Recorder works a treat.
What software version are you on? Thanks in advance.
I'm on 11/2019.34.
Appreciate 1
TSMC55126.50
      02-28-2021, 09:51 AM   #24
Superman750
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 M50i

I was strongly considering an X3M before I decided on a X6 M50i. The drive recorder wasn't subscribed to on the X3M and the SA we could get it for a one-time $80 charge.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 11:18 AM   #25
RR08
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 GO5

This appeared on the connected drive portal as an option here in UK recently, the cost is £199.99
Says you can record 40 seconds of video?
Wondering if it's worth adding to my car and how long does it record and retain video onboard.

I have a blackvue camera system fitted at the moment that records for hours and hours onto a 256 gb microsd card.

Terry
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #26
Unit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR08 View Post
This appeared on the connected drive portal as an option here in UK recently, the cost is £199.99
Says you can record 40 seconds of video?
Wondering if it's worth adding to my car and how long does it record and retain video onboard.

I have a blackvue camera system fitted at the moment that records for hours and hours onto a 256 gb microsd card.

Terry
If you have the Blackvue already mate I'd switch it across. Recorded Drive is very good but has a few issues if you're used to an aftermarket (I had a Blackvue in both my M4s and wish now I'd added to the M50i instead of giving to my brother):

1) It won't record on motion activation. So great when driving but not when parked up

2) Likewise it can't be set to record 24/7 like the Blackvues can with a secondary battery

3) It's designed to record incidents when driving and it does it very well. You can manually activate to record if needed BUT what it wont allow you to do is simply go back to a given point in time to simply look at something that happened on your drive. For example in the M4 I often went back to check I hadn't been over the speed limit passing a traffic cops gun etc. Saved the two week sweat seeing if a ticket came through!

4) It uses the external cameras which is a little silly as they can get obscured by dirt unlike an in-cabin mounted dashcam.

In short, great bit of kit, awesome 360 recording but wont give what you're used to with the Blackvue.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #27
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

The drive recorder is not a dash cam. It is always recording, but the recorded footage is not saved - think of it like a buffer. If there is a collision, the drive recorder then saves the 20 seconds portion before ether event from its buffer, and 20 seconds after, so 40 seconds total, of the incident. Thats it.

Its better then nothing, but not ideal.

Hence I had the BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 installed by the dealer before picking up my car. Managed to get it for half price
This is always recording from front and rear. So, like the above poster mentioned, I can use it to go back and see if I ran that red light accidentally and may be due a ticket, for instance! It can be set to continuously record, and with a large enough memory card, you get a lot of video! I have a 200GB memory card in mine and get many hours of front and rear video recording.

It can also be set to park mode, meaning when the vehicle is off, it will sense motion and start recording a short clip - so if someone bumps you car in a car park for example, you'll get some footage.

Personally, I don't really use the Park Mode, just the basic record while driving. There are a lot more bells and whistles - wirelessly being able to connect and change settings or view back footage directly on your phone, etc - although once set up the way I wanted I just leave it to do its thing in the background.

Wouldn't be without one.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4647.50