BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

No Upgrade Available?

Currently on version 07/2019.38, and both the vehicle and the phone app tell me no upgrade available (in the UK).

Do I need to take it to a dealer to update??
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #2
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2020 X5

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Currently on version 07/2019.38, and both the vehicle and the phone app tell me no upgrade available (in the UK).

I would remind them at your next annual inspection/service your car's software is 2 years out of date. I would tell them your head unit freezes up every now and again and you have already tried a hard reboot by holding the power button down for 30 seconds or alternatively play the safety card with them and tell them your missing Android Auto, ADV (Advanced Driving View) or LCA (Lane Change Assist)it usually works. I certainly would not be paying for this update either.

OTA updates is not an option for you as they only upgrade the vehicle to the next level each time ie in your case it would be to 11/2019.xx. I calculate you are at least 5 iLevels behind (03/2021.xx)

Last edited by Bambazonke; 06-13-2021 at 04:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 04:49 PM   #3
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambazonke View Post
I would remind them at your next annual inspection/service your car's software is 2 years out of date. I would tell them your head unit freezes up every now and again and you have already tried a hard reboot by holding the power button down for 30 seconds or alternatively play the safety card with them and tell them your missing Android Auto, ADV (Advanced Driving View) or LCA (Lane Change Assist)it usually works. I certainly would not be paying for this update either.

OTA updates is not an option for you as they only upgrade the vehicle to the next level each time ie in your case it would be to 11/2019.xx. I calculate you are at least 5 iLevels behind (03/2021.xx)
Will do that - have my first oil service due in August so will mention it then
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:24 AM   #4
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Is it the same with map updates? Or can they be completed by myself using the BMW Download Manager??

Ive read I may need an activation code??

I do have the service package which includes may updates, so can always use that if need be.....

Last edited by IftiBashir; 06-14-2021 at 03:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
SquidwarD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

Just had this issue. I was running 07/2019, called the bmw service center, told them I had "Bluetooth connectivity issues" they took the car in and updated the car within an hour I was on my way. Now running 03/2021.xx. They should be able to do it for you.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidwarD View Post
Just had this issue. I was running 07/2019, called the bmw service center, told them I had "Bluetooth connectivity issues" they took the car in and updated the car within an hour I was on my way. Now running 03/2021.xx. They should be able to do it for you.
Thanks - will do this on my service this August!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:54 PM   #7
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Is it the same with map updates? Or can they be completed by myself using the BMW Download Manager??

I do have the service package which includes may updates, so can always use that if need be.....
Different countries have different methods of updating. It's my understanding that outside of NA, BMW customers can download the map updates from the BMW website. That is not possible in the US, it has to come OTA.

As long as you're not trying to change regions, you should not need an activation code (older versions did).

I don't know about other firmware updates. In the USA, you officially only get it OTA when their algorithm decides it's useful to your specific hardware configuration, or you're in for service typically with a complaint that BMW says was 'fixed' in one of the updates. In the USA, BMW won't pay the dealer to update a vehicle unless there's a service issue caused or fixed by newer software. Some may do it out of goodwill, but they're not getting reimbursed under their warranty coverage from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 09:20 PM   #8
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

I have been doing that my self for several years. Use the BMW Download manager The FSC code is automatically downloaded from their site. All you need to do is stick a blank USB 16Gb disk in my case into your PC and the programme does the rest. After that take the USB stick and insert it in the centre console port and follow the instructions on the iDrive screen
      06-15-2021, 04:45 AM   #9
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys - maps updated successfully

iDrive system to be done by dealer in my next service
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:13 AM   #10
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep

Question - what main features am I missing by not upgrading the software??

Reason being, everything seems to be working perfectly well for me at the moment. Maps are updated and work well. Carplay from my iPhone works flawlessly every time - no issue at all. Apps all seem to run ok (main one being Drive Recorder!) and cameras are all good - no problems at all.

Hence, wondering if I should bother upgrading and [potentially] introduce problems into an otherwise stable system?.....
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 06:55 AM   #11
Bambazonke
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:

Reason being, everything seems to be working perfectly well for me at the moment. Maps are updated and work well. Carplay from my iPhone works flawlessly every time - no issue at all. Apps all seem to run ok (main one being Drive Recorder!) and cameras are all good - no problems at all.

Hence, wondering if I should bother upgrading and [potentially] introduce problems into an otherwise stable system?.....
Difficult to tell as yours is a UK spec model and there may be a lot of Driver Assist options that may now have been reprogrammed to behave in a more refined manner that you may not pick up on eg Lane Change Assist aSLA TLA (Traffic Light Assist) etc

There are several forum members from the UK that regularly upgrade their cars and report back changes in great detail notably IFR who kindly shares this info and coding changes on the forum for the benefit of other owners around the world

Last edited by Bambazonke; 06-24-2021 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2021, 09:56 PM   #12
SquidwarD
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:

I can't comment on your software update as you're running UK software, at least for me my only noticeable upgrade was the Amazon Alexa update. Besides that I didn't see any difference. Granted, software updates do provide many changes which we don't see as it might fix a specific issue in the software.

When my car wasn't updating it ran smoothly as is, just like yours. However, there's always a reason for software updates. Regardless if we can see a difference or not, there's a reason BMW is pushing an update. They built the car and software and if they are telling me there's an update for their software, I'm going to get it. They know the components best and I'm going to follow their recommendations, that's how I look at it.
Appreciate 0