BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2021, 05:47 PM   #1
Bayernischemama
Rep
Drives: X5 x45i

Noob Lease Negotiation on x40i

My long-awaited X5 arrived in Richmond, CA today so I should be picking up later this week according to my sales rep. Normally I'd have my husband with me to help me not get worked over by the sales guy but I'll be alone so I'd love some help making sure I'm going in well-informed!

The MSRP of the build comes out at $78,445. I'm in San Francisco so from what I've gathered on the other threads I shouldn't expect more than 5-8% off of MSRP, is that correct?

I'll be going with 10k miles for 36 months. Also trading in a 2018 Honda CR-V with a KBB trade-in value of $26k-$28k. The payoff amount is around $20k.

Are they going to try to push a protection plan on me? Our last lease was traded in in excellent condition so I don't really see the point in paying extra for a protection plan.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:45 PM   #2
munich5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i (12+ past BMW's)

Welcome to the forum!
Typically any discounts would be negotiated prior to ordering, I’m afraid you won’t have much leverage now that you’ve ordered the car. That said, I’d still ask for a discount- the market is quite tight at the moment so 7% + relevant incentives would be a “good deal” IMO.
I would keep your trade separate- I’d suggest looking at an online car buying site such as Vroom or Carvana.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

As mentioned, all of the negotiating should have been done prior to ordering but that has past. I think your expectations of a discount is fairly accurate but don't be surprised if they are in the 2-4% range. Quite a few have reported that dealers are going with MSRP for the 45e but you should be a bit better with the 40i.

Good luck with everything and let us know how it turns out.
      06-02-2021, 01:40 AM   #4
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

To confirm what others have said (and also my experience), the price should have been negotiated before it was ordered.

When I ordered I signed a spec sheet with agreed pricing, so nothing will change when I take delivery.

Right now, I think 5% is about right. I'm also in the Bay Area, and most dealers I contacted wouldn't budge from 5%. In the few weeks since I've ordered, it seems like things are getting worse, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 2-4% that TurtleBoy mentioned is more in-line with what you can expect.

In regards to a protection plan, they may try to push something but as long as you're firm about not wanting it, it should be fine. Absolutely no reason you have to purchase it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #5
Bayernischemama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munich5 View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Typically any discounts would be negotiated prior to ordering, I’m afraid you won’t have much leverage now that you’ve ordered the car. That said, I’d still ask for a discount- the market is quite tight at the moment so 7% + relevant incentives would be a “good deal” IMO.
I would keep your trade separate- I’d suggest looking at an online car buying site such as Vroom or Carvana.

Good luck!
Damn, I wish I had known that before hand. The price wasn't brought up at all when I ordered. I didn't sign a spec sheet or anything either.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
YuicyYumboYack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: the speed limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayernischemama View Post
Damn, I wish I had known that before hand. The price wasn't brought up at all when I ordered. I didn't sign a spec sheet or anything either.
Hm, a little strange that they didn't negotiate the price first. I would say that unfortunately in this situation, they have the leverage because it's difficult to get a 45e for a decent price right now. I would push for 6 to 7% off if possible, but if you can get 5% off it's pretty good considering state of things.

That being said, you are NOT obligated to purchase the car if you're uncomfortable with the deal. Obviously this will depend on your situation, but you can also consider waiting until MY22 vehicles are available. But who knows what changes they're going to make, including increasing the price...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
Bayernischemama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuicyYumboYack View Post
Quote:
Hm, a little strange that they didn't negotiate the price first. I would say that unfortunately in this situation, they have the leverage because it's difficult to get a 45e for a decent price right now. I would push for 6 to 7% off if possible, but if you can get 5% off it's pretty good considering state of things.

That being said, you are NOT obligated to purchase the car if you're uncomfortable with the deal. Obviously this will depend on your situation, but you can also consider waiting until MY22 vehicles are available. But who knows what changes they're going to make, including increasing the price...
I ordered an x40i so hopefully a little easier than a 45e? He said I was one of the last few at the SF dealership to order before they stopped orders due to a chip shortage. Not sure how true that is.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
I ordered an x40i so hopefully a little easier than a 45e? He said I was one of the last few at the SF dealership to order before they stopped orders due to a chip shortage. Not sure how true that is.
They haven’t stopped taking orders. Likely either they were out of allocations or just line to prepare you for their price.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #9
platinum903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, G05 X5

1.) Always negotiate price before actually ordering the car (future advice).
2.) Market is very tight right now - not just BMW, but all cars because of chip shortages. 5-7% off MSRP is really good right now. Be sure to ask for rebates and credits available.
3.) Sell your Honda to CarMax or Vroom. Used cars are commanding a fortune right now and you will do better there than on a trade.
4.) If they try to screw you and make you pay full MSRP, walk away. You are under no obligation to buy it if they won't play ball. After all, you've still got that Honda to drive and can wait until things normalize in the car market.
5.) I always immediately tell the Finance people that I'm not buying any of their protection packages. If they feel the need to waste their breathe, go for it, but I'm not buying. Don't let them pressure you into adding anything additional.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:50 AM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum903 View Post
3.) Sell your Honda to CarMax or Vroom. Used cars are commanding a fortune right now and you will do better there than on a trade.
One thing to keep in mind is that in many states the value of the trade-in is not taxed so that should be taken into account when comparing a trade-in value to selling it elsewhere.