BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-12-2021, 01:55 PM   #1
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Review of X5M Sterckenn carbon front splitter

Hi all,

Thought I would post up my experience and thoughts on a recent purchase of the Sterckenn carbon front splitter for the X5M …

So, I purchased this from IND as they promised a shorter delivery time than a UK supplier … the item arrived in perfect condition thanks to an obscene amount of bubble and foam packaging, which was much appreciated for such a delicate and expensive mod!

IND purchase page here:

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...t-splitter-set

Fitting was completed by Autoworks UK, and as always a professional job, even though some of the screws weren’t quite perfect (shout out to Dale for a “can-do-this” attitude!):

https://www.autoworksservices.co.uk/

The splitter itself is high quality, no scratches or dents / marks, and fitment is perfect. For me it finishes off the front end nicely, and acts to ‘lower’ the front end visually. I was a bit 50-50 on the 'winglets' but in the flesh they look classy.

Looking forward to some carbon side skirts to finish off the look!

And, photo finish …
xmanpro3052.00
-cj-198.00
Mr.blue221.50
      06-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #2
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

And, photos ...
Attached Images

QF8221.00
xmanpro3052.00
-cj-198.00
      06-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

sorry all ... pics seem to be oddly posted, but i'm posting from "normally taken" iPhone pics ... if anyone has any pointers to get all the pics portrait or landscape, please say!
      07-13-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Probably should have named this thread "random pics of X5M minor mods" ... never mind.

Few pics of the IND gloss rear wiper ... not an especially dramatic mod, but for me, it just ties in with the gloss diffuser to give a matching look.

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...ap-gloss-black

admittedly probably one for the extreme OCD owner

PS - I'm not on commission with IND!
Attached Images

Last edited by 155ND; 07-13-2021 at 01:52 PM..
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4629.50
      07-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
Few pics of the IND gloss rear wiper ... not an especially dramatic mod, but for me, it just ties in with the gloss diffuser to give a matching look.

admittedly probably one for the extreme OCD owner
OCD guilty, too! (on G05, though)
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
155ND905.50
      07-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #6
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

And, the IND / Autotecknic carbon mirror covers - the cheap ones ($450) rather than the expensive ones ($2,795)!!

having fitted them, I'm 50-50 whether i prefer these to to gloss black standard mirror covers ... but then i tend to over-modify my cars, i'm told

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...rror-cover-set
Attached Images

Mr.blue221.50
      07-13-2021, 03:58 PM   #7
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
OCD guilty, too! (on G05, though)
G05 / X5M ... it's all good

i bought the 40i G05 in December 2018 and had that until the X5M came out ... both awesome cars, my wife now has the 40i and loves it as i did ... though she just stared blankly at me when i showed her the X5M before / after rear wipers ("plain" plastic v gloss black), and shook her head in disappointment ......... !
      07-14-2021, 12:20 AM   #8
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Looking good! Question though, what's the first point of impact if you open your hatch and misjudge ceiling height? I assumed it would be the wiper blade (or is it the bmw roundel?), in which case the oem would probably tolerate touching another surface better?

(I realize the goal should probably be to not be in this situation at all.. )
      07-14-2021, 08:33 AM   #9
X5M_Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp

Garage List
Looks beautiful
Appreciate 1
155ND905.50
      07-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
Looking good! Question though, what's the first point of impact if you open your hatch and misjudge ceiling height? I assumed it would be the wiper blade (or is it the bmw roundel?), in which case the oem would probably tolerate touching another surface better?

(I realize the goal should probably be to not be in this situation at all.. )
i suppose this could happen in a car park with a ceiling, but i've never really thought about it. i'm the kind of driver that automatically goes right to the top of a multi-story car park and then parks right at the far end in a corner, so reducing the chance of another car parking next to me!

Mrs 155ND doesn't like my parking approach, but as i say to her, it's a few more steps on your stepometer honey ...

to answer the question, i think the contact point would be the paint, rather than the roundel or the wiper ... *shudder* !!
-cj-198.00
      07-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Looks awesome! I don't think there is anything wrong with a few mods on any vehicle. As long as you don't go overboard. In my opinion the X5M or at least the Competition should have come with these mods mentioned. I added the side skirts and grill and I felt i went overboard, the real reason for the grill was because some minor damage and because the front splitter wasn't available when the grill was. In the end, it all looks good and I have gotten a lot of compliments to back it up so I'm satisfied, well until I can get the front splitter to match the grill! 😆
      07-16-2021, 01:53 PM   #12
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
Looks awesome! I don't think there is anything wrong with a few mods on any vehicle. As long as you don't go overboard. In my opinion the X5M or at least the Competition should have come with these mods mentioned. I added the side skirts and grill and I felt i went overboard, the real reason for the grill was because some minor damage and because the front splitter wasn't available when the grill was. In the end, it all looks good and I have gotten a lot of compliments to back it up so I'm satisfied, well until I can get the front splitter to match the grill! ��

thanks, i don't THINK i've overdone the mods ... yet

speaking of which, my HRE wheels arrive in the UK on Monday I'm told ... i'm quite excited, will post pics

could you post pics of your side skirts please?
      07-17-2021, 07:30 PM   #13
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Looks awesome! I don't think there is anything wrong with a few mods on any vehicle. As long as you don't go overboard. In my opinion the X5M or at least the Competition should have come with these mods mentioned. I added the side skirts and grill and I felt i went overboard, the real reason for the grill was because some minor damage and because the front splitter wasn't available when the grill was. In the end, it all looks good and I have gotten a lot of compliments to back it up so I'm satisfied, well until I can get the front splitter to match the grill! ��

speaking of which, my HRE wheels arrive in the UK on Monday I'm told ... i'm quite excited, will post pics

I apologize, for some reason I can't add pictures. You can check out my post " Installed carbon side skirts ". I don't know why I keep having issues with posting pictures, the app indicates that I didn't give it permission and yet there is no where to change that setting. Looking forward to seeing the pictures with your wheels installed. Sorry the pictures aren't better, I took them right after I installed the skirts. I will be looking into a slight lowering to get rid of some of the wheel gap you see in the photos.
      07-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #14
-cj-
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X5MC | '20 Z4

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I apologize, for some reason I can't add pictures. You can check out my post " Installed carbon side skirts ". I don't know why I keep having issues with posting pictures, the app indicates that I didn't give it permission and yet there is no where to change that setting. Looking forward to seeing the pictures with your wheels installed. Sorry the pictures aren't better, I took them right after I installed the skirts. I will be looking into a slight lowering to get rid of some of the wheel gap you see in the photos.
It's in the main "settings" app on your iPhone. Settings - Bimmerpost - Photos - All photos
Mr.blue221.50