BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #1
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

X3MC vs X5 M50i

Has anyone driven both for comparison specifically straight line acceleration SOTP feel, etc. I know that the X3MC is going to handle better but I've read that there is sig low end turbo lag with the S58 in this application.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #2
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Has anyone driven both for comparison specifically straight line acceleration SOTP feel, etc. I know that the X3MC is going to handle better but I've read that there is sig low end turbo lag with the S58 in this application.
Everyone will know you’re in X3. M or whatever letter you put next to it.

As far as your question goes, it’s been said on this forum that X3M handles better.
Good luck with your downgrade.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      05-30-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Everyone will know you’re in X3. M or whatever letter you put next to it.

As far as your question goes, it’s been said on this forum that X3M handles better.
Good luck with your downgrade.
You are certainly helpful.
Never good to assume. I'm not looking to "downgrade" as you put it. Merely wondering about the acceleration feel comparatively speaking as I am sure others here have also.

Last edited by speedyman; 05-30-2021 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
bforbrian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

My thread should help some:

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1682601
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bforbrian View Post
Wow, great thread on the subject. Thanks, you are much more helpful than Mr miserable post #2 here. LOL
Appreciate 1
bforbrian718.00
      05-31-2021, 03:28 PM   #6
M50iMWGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i

Quote:
Yes. I briefly owned a X3M prior to my M50i.

The X3M had a very noticeable lack of torque below 2K RPM. Not sure if I would call it turbo lag, but it was there nonetheless. Once it kicked in though, it was insanely quick. It liked to run at higher RPM ranges for sure. The M50i feels 90% as quick to me.

The brakes were much better in the X3M, as was the handling -- but the ride quality in the X3M was so bad, it was one of the primary reasons I got rid of it.

The X5 M50i with 2-axle air is night and day better for *me*. Yes, you do sacrifice sports-car like handling, but the M50i in Sport suspension mode is plenty for the way I drive. The interior on the M50i is much nicer, and comfort is better all around. Exhaust in the M50i sounds much better to my ears as well.

Overall, I am much happier with the M50i than the X3M.
Appreciate 2
Denk1006.00
      05-31-2021, 04:19 PM   #7
Thewolfbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Competition (G80)

Garage List
As with previous post, I owned the X3M and traded in for a M50i.

For me it was about the size. I had 4 other X5's before the X3M, so I was used to the interior space of the X5 vs the X3M. My daily commute is about 40 miles each way and I am 6ft at 225lb. In winter with a suit and overcoat, the X3M sport seats were a snug fit.

In full disclosure, I drove the snot out of the X3M. Tracked it and did at least 100 launches. Built like a tank! Yes, there is a lag but I feel it is there for a reason as a liveable daily driver. To reduce the lag, I would drive in sport or sport plus and transmission in D3. I basically set M1 as my in town driving mode.. Beside taking the lag out, it made the exhaust sound so much better. When driving in this set up, it always felt angry, always ready to race anything....and would and win.

As far as speed....Best I did 0 to 60 in the X3M was 3.6 and 3.77 in the M50i. 1/4 miles are within .20 of a second. I have hit 11.90 in the M50i. Both all stock. The X3M never wanted to stop pulling unlike the M50i. At 160 mph, the X3M was flat and felt perfectly planted.

Unless you get DHP with M50i, they are absolutely on different levels when it comes to handling. Even with DHP, the X3M is precision instrument.

The ride of the X3M did get softer over time. I also ran my tires a couple pounds lite for daily driving. I also didn't have the seat to the floor.

Do I miss the X3M, yes. It was absolutely amazing to drive. The down fall of the X3M is the looks, it looks like any other X3. IMO, it needs more of a noticeable different look. Something that makes you go, that's different. Sort like the difference between a M50i and a X5M.

The torque of the M50i is comical. Puts a smile on your face every time you jump on it. Again, I tend to drive in Sport or Sport Plus (unless on highway).

Brakes also go to the X3M. I just ordered X3M rotors to put on the M50i as I received confirmation they will fit perfectly. I don't think with the rotors it will brake like the X3M, just like the look.

In my opinion, unless you want to go to a track day once or twice a year, the decision isn't about speed or power. It should be about what you will use it for.

Good luck on your decision and life is good when you have that decision to make.

Cheers
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      05-31-2021, 04:27 PM   #8
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Love the M50i and the off idle torque. I am not at all considering an X3MC just wondering how it compared in straight line acceleration. Thanks for the comparisons.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:56 PM   #9
-Vanguard-
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M Competition

The x3M is much smaller inside and feels cheaper all around.

It handles better and probably sounds better.

That's where it ends. The X5 M50i is faster in straights, amazing interior, newest tech, better materials, and much more space.

When you aren't attacking corners in sport plus mode, the X3M is a complete downgrade to the X5 M50i and even then I doubt the handling is much worse, especially if you skip the air suspension.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18116.50
      06-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #10
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vanguard- View Post
The x3M is much smaller inside and feels cheaper all around.

It handles better and probably sounds better.

That's where it ends. The X5 M50i is faster in straights, amazing interior, newest tech, better materials, and much more space.

When you aren't attacking corners in sport plus mode, the X3M is a complete downgrade to the X5 M50i and even then I doubt the handling is much worse, especially if you skip the air suspension.
Yeah, spot on, rode in a 2020 X3 the other day with a friend. You are absolutely right, no comparison. X3 feels constrained on the inside and a totally different road experience, no interest in the X3 at 6' 3" 235.lbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:44 PM   #11
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

you are much more helpful than Mr miserable post #2 here.
Just a thought to consider:

"mr miserable" made 3 good points that most every other poster repeated, albeit more tonally gentle.

Should forum civitas be open to a bit more rough & tumble language rather than every post delivering exactly what we expect in exactly the tone we prefer?

Maybe it's ok if some posts have fair opinions AND sharp elbows?

It is for me anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #12
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Just a thought to consider:

"mr miserable" made 3 good points that most every other poster repeated, albeit more tonally gentle.

Should forum civitas be open to a bit more rough & tumble language rather than every post delivering exactly what we expect in exactly the tone we prefer?

Maybe it's ok if some posts have fair opinions AND sharp elbows?

It is for me anyway.
So a slap across the face about a "downgrade" after merely asking for straight line acceleration characteristics of the X3M is to be expected?
I guess my question pushed the guys buttons, and was offensive to him in some strange way.
Once again, I'm thrilled with my M50i and was just wondering how certain driving aspects of the X3M compared with the M50i, won't make that mistake again.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #13
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
So a slap across the face
A slap? geezus

Sack up. Psychologically strong > psychologically safe.

Be strong. It's in you. Find it!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 09:15 PM   #14
zhangyi17
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I had test drove X3M for fun, but never intended to get X3. Interior space is not as nice as X5. More over, I don't need a true M car in SAV form. If I want to attack a corner flat out, I will get a M3 or M5 instead of a X3M or X5M for that matter. What I really appreciate in the m50i is the TT V8 and how it cruise effortlessly at highway speed. When cruise is on at 110kph, it just goes. You switch to power meter and it tells you that you still have well over 200hp in reserved which came in handy when passing. It's calme and relaxed and it doesn't even encourage you to abuse it's vast reserved power. This character is what I am looking for for a family SUV.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #15
speedyman
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhangyi17 View Post
I had test drove X3M for fun, but never intended to get X3. Interior space is not as nice as X5. More over, I don't need a true M car in SAV form. If I want to attack a corner flat out, I will get a M3 or M5 instead of a X3M or X5M for that matter. What I really appreciate in the m50i is the TT V8 and how it cruise effortlessly at highway speed. When cruise is on at 110kph, it just goes. You switch to power meter and it tells you that you still have well over 200hp in reserved which came in handy when passing. It's calme and relaxed and it doesn't even encourage you to abuse it's vast reserved power. This character is what I am looking for for a family SUV.
I was hopping to hear from someone who had driven the S58 in an X3M and the 4.4L TT in the M50i back to back.
I agree, would not be looking for a full M version of any SUV. Handling where we live is not much of a factor as the roads are essentially all flat and straight with 90 degree turns at stop signs and red lights.

Last edited by speedyman; 06-14-2021 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #16
Aimster82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i 2019 BMW X5 5.0

Not sure why it is a "downgrade" ..

X3M is sportier and has sportier seats. Handles better too.
X5 is better luxury ... if you get the right options.
X5 is big for some, X3 is just the right size for others.

If you are going to get a little option X5 I would just get a fully loaded X3M.
If it is a fully optioned out X5 then X5.

Things X5 has over X3 with options .. better leather seats with massage, premium audio (B&W), Air Suspension option, Glass controls, heated arm rests, hot/cold cup holders. Of course some of these have been discontinued because of production issues.

Last edited by Aimster82; 06-14-2021 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 12:08 AM   #17
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

The x3 is a downgrade from the x5 in everything but performance, where its relative lack of weight/overall size comes in handy. In terms of creature comforts, that much is glaringly obvious.

In "bmw" terms, the x5 is two more than the x3. Yeah, sounds stupid, but there's a reason BMW does little things like skip offering the larger displays and nicer materials on the N-minus-2 models (x4/x6, x3/x5, etc). How much of a difference this makes to -you- is subjective, but the overall difference in spec and material offerings is objective. That's why they cost different amounts. For my next act I shall flourish my captain obvious cape.

Performance is performance. The x3m is a bundle of laughs. The overly bouncy, stupid, stiff stock suspension turned me WAAAAYYYYyyyyy off, but it's not like it's hard to swap the bits for that.

As for the bit about "everyone will know you're driving an x3"... ah my god I can't imagine caring about that anymore. It's unbelievably silly to avoid a purchase you'd otherwise rather enjoy just because of what uninterested parties might think. To quote Schitt's Creek:

Quote:
David: Okay, I'm gonna need you to step out of the car for 20 minutes, so that I can do my transcendental meditation before I fail this test.
Alexis: Okay, you are acting all sorts of crazy right now. This honestly does not matter. Nobody cares.
David: Uh, people care. I care, the driving examiner person cares.
Alexis: No, he doesn't. Trust me, people aren't thinking about you the way that you're thinking about you.
David: What does that mean?
Alexis: You always over think everything, and that's why you fail all the time.
      06-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #18
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmonet View Post

As for the bit about "everyone will know you're driving an x3"... ah my god I can't imagine caring about that anymore. It's unbelievably silly to avoid a purchase you'd otherwise rather enjoy just because of what uninterested parties might think. To quote Schitt's Creek:
I like. Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, you're making the payment. Get what you're happy with.