BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2021, 04:28 PM   #1
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
End of last week I agreed in a price for 45e build and the dealer said he had an allocation, today he texted me and said he had to wait until next month for the 2022 allocation to open up and that the price may change.
Is this accurate, does anyone know when the 22 allocations will be out?
      05-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

They generally come out in the June/July timeframe. While waiting you may as well check and see what you can do with other dealers, it seems there are some allocations left yet according to what people have been posting.
      05-11-2021, 05:17 PM   #3
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
They generally come out in the June/July timeframe. While waiting you may as well check and see what you can do with other dealers, it seems there are some allocations left yet according to what people have been posting.
Quote:
Thanks, let me try to call out a few more dealers and see what happens.
      05-11-2021, 05:46 PM   #4
bando23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosLepre View Post
FWIW - my dealer has also told me the same. I think there may be a few left for MY21 but at this point tempted to wait since no HK
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibando View Post
Quote:
FWIW - my dealer has also told me the same. I think there may be a few left for MY21 but at this point tempted to wait since no HK
Quote:
Quote:
I wanted the HK but I figured I could change the speakers, my worry is not being able to get the M sports package.
      05-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
bando23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I wanted the HK but I figured I could change the speakers, my worry is not being able to get the M sports package.
Not happy that BMW isn’t being super transparent with options that are coming in/out… honestly thinking of other options at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #7
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Not happy that BMW isn’t being super transparent with options that are coming in/out… honestly thinking of other options at this point.
^ This.

I get there's a shortage of critical components; fine. Not BMW's fault. But what is BMW's fault is the willy-nilly handling of the situation.

They know what parts they have, so count them up now, allocate, and let those of us with orders know, with certainty, what we can and cannot expect.

It's not cool, and I'm really annoyed with the brand for this crap-management at the moment.

I'd prefer to be given the bad news now so I can make a proper decision rather than wonder, each day, which options my car will/will not have.
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #8
Ebomb808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A4

Any expectations of what we should expect for an MSRP increase? Lots of inflationary pressure and supply shortages, I wonder if we'll see an abnormally large price increase versus MY20 and MY21.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 09:50 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMarkA View Post
^ This.

I get there's a shortage of critical components; fine. Not BMW's fault. But what is BMW's fault is the willy-nilly handling of the situation.

They know what parts they have, so count them up now, allocate, and let those of us with orders know, with certainty, what we can and cannot expect.

It's not cool, and I'm really annoyed with the brand for this crap-management at the moment.

I'd prefer to be given the bad news now so I can make a proper decision rather than wonder, each day, which options my car will/will not have.
While it is aggravating, they are actually doing what you suggested. They receive the orders and then allocate/order the parts and create the VIN to lock in the build. Since the supply chains are fluid, and ignoring that their ordering system isn't set up to do it, there is no way to know at time of order whether specific parts will be available. What they seem to be doing to try and complete the requested builds is delay the time between when the order is taken and the VIN assigned.

It obviously is going to piss off some folks no matter how they handle it but since these are unprecedented times they are probably struggling and frustrated as well. My advice to anyone ordering now would be to hang in there until the VIN is assigned, get a new VIR and then make the decision based on how the vehicle is equipped.

Good luck
FracGuy51.50
FastMarkA560.50
gqgambler716.00
      05-12-2021, 05:56 AM   #10
john1200c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 M50i

Quote:
get a new VIR and then make the decision based on how the vehicle is equipped.

Good luck
From what I have seen anytime my dealer has made changes for me and I made about 5 while it was in 112 status the website tracker immediately reflected my updated VIR, so you also could try looking at the website if you are in the US once your VIN is assigned...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #11
bando23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since the supply chains are fluid, and ignoring that their ordering system isn't set up to do it, there is no way to know at time of order whether specific parts will be available. What they seem to be doing to try and complete the requested builds is delay the time between when the order is taken and the VIN assigned.
Fair, but an alternative to this is being more transparent that there are issues in the first place so that both buyer and supplier can make more informed decisions.

For example: If I want a super spec'd vehicle, here's an expected wait time up front — if it'll roll into MY22, put down a deposit and come back when those option sheets are open. If I'm okay having some of those options dropped, here's how the price may fluctuate but you'll get the vehicle sooner.

But information today is fairly asymmetrical and fairly consequential things like MSRPs, lease terms, taxes, etc. are based on what options are/aren't available and it is a bit of a that this forum is the best place for info (esp. for newbies like me).
Appreciate 2
FastMarkA560.50
330dMSXD103.00
      05-12-2021, 08:45 AM   #12
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Since the supply chains are fluid, and ignoring that their ordering system isn't set up to do it, there is no way to know at time of order whether specific parts will be available. What they seem to be doing to try and complete the requested builds is delay the time between when the order is taken and the VIN assigned.
Completely understand this idea, I just think the way BMW is responding to the current reality is "business as usual," when it's hardly that.

BMW needs to be upfront with the dealers and customers about what is really happening, because the expectations need to be managed.

I've ordered 7 BMWs in my life, and the experience of each has been incredibly consistent: place order, watch the incredibly inaccurate online tracker , pace back and forth during the "Awaiting Carrier" stage, and pick up a car exactly as it was spec'd.

What am I doing with a car in Order Received that already had an option yanked from it? I'm looking at dealers all over the country with inventory because that's a sure thing, while ordering a BMW at the moment is not.
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-12-2021, 09:44 PM   #13
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

OP.. this is what a friend of mine says. Some dealers bumps out people who had heavy discounts in favor of people paying the full price.. I hope this was not the case for you.. they will tell you they have allocations. Get your order. Doesn't give you production number right away because if some guy willing to pay msrp comes along. They will give them the Allocation. It makes more money for them
Appreciate 1
330dMSXD103.00
      05-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #14
MarcosLepre
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceRN09 View Post
OP.. this is what a friend of mine says. Some dealers bumps out people who had heavy discounts in favor of people paying the full price.. I hope this was not the case for you.. they will tell you they have allocations. Get your order. Doesn't give you production number right away because if some guy willing to pay msrp comes along. They will give them the Allocation. It makes more money for them
I would not be surprised if that was the case, what's worse is that they ran my credit and got the approval.
      05-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #15
rppatel4
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bando23 View Post
I placed my '21 45e ordered on Tuesday. I still haven't heard from the dealer yet to get confirmation of build order. Now I know why it is taking so long.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #16
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rppatel4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bando23 View Post
I placed my '21 45e ordered on Tuesday. I still haven't heard from the dealer yet to get confirmation of build order. Now I know why it is taking so long.
Do not despair: I placed my order for an X5 45e with a dealer in CT on May 1 and was not given a production number until May 10... I now have a week 23 build date, but no VIN yet. So far everything appears to be on track though, fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #17
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wait What? View Post
Do not despair: I placed my order for an X5 45e with a dealer in CT on May 1 and was not given a production number until May 10... I now have a week 23 build date, but no VIN yet. So far everything appears to be on track though, fingers crossed!
Same story here. Placed order with the dealer in NY on May 3rd. Dealer was upfront that they did not have allocation. Was in status 47 till Wednesday (5/12) when the dealer got the allocation for build week 24. Two other dealers have called up in last 7 days saying they had allocation. So allocations for 2021 are still there. Only regret is the loss of HK.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:03 PM   #18
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
Quote:
Same story here. Placed order with the dealer in NY on May 3rd. Dealer was upfront that they did not have allocation. Was in status 47 till Wednesday (5/12) when the dealer got the allocation for build week 24. Two other dealers have called up in last 7 days saying they had allocation. So allocations for 2021 are still there. Only regret is the loss of HK.
Congrats! What color combo did you go for?
I got arctic gray (man, I love that color, it just has that slight blue tint that really makes it shine) over black Vernasca leather and 20" wheels.
I can hardly wait to be behind the wheel!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #19
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I got arctic gray (man, I love that color, it just has that slight blue tint that really makes it shine) over black Vernasca leather and 20" wheels.
Thanks. I have Dark Graphite with Tartufo. Loved arctic gray too. Now the excruciating wait and hoping they don’t take away more options. Will be following your progress closely as I am a week behind. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:43 PM   #20
Wait What?
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
Quote:
Thanks. I have Dark Graphite with Tartufo. Loved arctic gray too. Now the excruciating wait and hoping they don’t take away more options. Will be following your progress closely as I am a week behind. Good luck!
I love dark graphite! I have been debating for days between arctic gray and dark graphite: definitely my top two color choices for the X5. Eventually I went arctic gray after seeing an AG X7 in the dealership parking lot in the sun and that was it, I was sold on that color :-)
I will definitely keep you filled in on what happens with my order: I sure hope no last minute surprises... The Genius I spoke to earlier this week told me that I should get a VIN next week: we'll see if that happens and if everything is confirmed when that happens... Weird times for certain.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #21
Paul-in-MA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

With the air suspension and HK unavailable, I gave up on trying to order a 2021. I'm one of the first on the dealer's 2022 allocation list.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 06:37 PM   #22
bando23
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

My dealer told me my order had also shifted to a 2022.
Appreciate 0