BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #1
motherkin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: g05 45e

Question about custom order

Hi folks, this is my first time ordering a BMW and I have some questions.

Background - I am waiting for the MY 22 X5 but who knows if it will be released in July. I don't want to order the MY 21 now because many options are missing.

1. My dealer told me to place an order for July production now to "secure" the allocation and available rebates.
- What does placing an order actually mean? What if MY 22 is still not released in July?
- Does the negotiation of pricing happens now or later?

2. They said the $1000 deposit is refundable, is this true? (in California)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherkin View Post
Hi folks, this is my first time ordering a BMW and I have some questions.

Background - I am waiting for the MY 22 X5 but who knows if it will be released in July. I don't want to order the MY 21 now because many options are missing.

1. My dealer told me to place an order for July production now to "secure" the allocation and available rebates.
- What does placing an order actually mean? What if MY 22 is still not released in July?

Pay with Amex.
Unless the vehicle is in your possession, you’ll always get your money back (it’s just easier with Amex)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #3
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Unless the vehicle is in your possession, you’ll always get your money back (it’s just easier with Amex)
This is not correct. In most instances the deposit for a custom order is non-refundable. It is only refundable if it says so by law, which most say California does, or if the parties agree beforehand it is refundable. It all boils down to what the agreement for the deposit was and it seems most are non-refundable.

Edit: OP: As we have seen with the pricing guides recently released for other models, the options currently missing, and some additional ones, will not be available at the start of MY22. It is highly unlikely that the X5 will not follow that. You should probably be resigned to not having the current missing options for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by TurtleBoy; 06-06-2021 at 09:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:20 AM   #4
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
This is not correct. In most instances the deposit for a custom order is non-refundable. It is only refundable if it says so by law, which most say California does, or if the parties agree beforehand it is refundable. It all boils down to what the agreement for the deposit was and it seems most are non-refundable.

Edit: OP: As we have seen with the pricing guides recently released for other models, the options currently missing, and some additional ones, will not be available at the start of MY22. It is highly unlikely that the X5 will not follow that. You should probably be resigned to not having the current missing options for the foreseeable future.
Hence Amex.
Do a chargeback. They won’t go after you.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

"Background - I am waiting for the MY 22 X5 but who knows if it will be released in July. I don't want to order the MY 21 now because many options are missing"

Based on X7 ordering guide. There seems to be no change in MY 22. A little change i think on how the packages are but no options coming back. No heated cooled cup holders no HK.. So you are just devaluing your dollar due to the inflation by waiting as the price also might get higher next MY.

Shop around different dealers. Some might have late june early july. As of right now the financing rate has been the same the past 3 mos. 1.9 for 60 its a good rate. They do 0.9 before but if the Feds increase the interest. It might not last. For custom order. You have to secure allocations. Each dealer has allocation from BMW. Its limited slots and they give you production number if they have allocation. Also the rebates for financing is 2.5K. That may change month to month basis. There is also the conquest incentive and military. Conquest is when you previously owned luxry vehicles from the competition. I got 1K last year from my m340i not sure how much it is now.

Placing an order is when you spec out a build from the website. You give the build number to the sales agent then they actually put it in their computer. If they have allocation theycan tell you the build week and can give you the production number. Negotiations should happen during the ordering process. So do your research. Build the car you want and negotiate the price so that they cant renege on the deal when the car comes. A good deal nowadays is invoice plus financing credit plus conquest. That should net you at least 11 K off the MSRP.

Deposit is more like good faith. I didnt put one on mine and its a 99k car. The Sales manager knows me as I have given them customers before.
Appreciate 1
DrMicro11.50
      06-07-2021, 01:18 PM   #6
evodz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5, 45e

I'm in California and I've several BMWs though out the year. I don't always get asked for a deposit but when I do its, $500 and is refundable. My last 2 cars (45e included), I did not place a deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
Hence Amex.
Do a chargeback. They won’t go after you.
As long as you don't do chargebacks too frequently it should be all good but you do get put on a database whenever you file one though
Appreciate 0