BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
pjfk101
United_States
Rep
Drives: toyota rav4 prime, Mercedes GL

A cautionary tale on ordering

First time posting, what a difference a few weeks make.....

I ordered a BMW X5 drive 45e custom from a dealer in MD. 2021 allocation - so I thought. I got 7% off MSRP before incentives. This was really first weeks of may. I was happy.

Then......silence. Found out they had no allocation or gave me allocation away since people started to pay up after the colonial gas hysteria. They took my deposit but said sorry - not sure when we will have allocation after first telling me it would be for June. I cancelled.

Now I'm back trying to order the car but mania is off the charts. Spoke to 2 dealers in NJ who told me MSRP only. (plus rebates off financing with BMW finance) THATS IT. Yuck.

Guys - need help- do anyone have any east coast who you trust, and would offer for me to work with on my build? Or should I wait for 2022 allocations and hope pricing and behaviors improve.

Maying full price is just silly. I'd rather wait 12 months+

Its tough out there.......I read some of you had good look with some NJ or east coast dealers - please message me if you can share a contact.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
45e21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

That really sucks. Did you get anything in writing from them? I was in a similar situation- waiting for allocation status. I got a Vehicle Inquiry Report that had my name and details of my configuration. Once they got the allocation after 10 days, I got another VIR with production number. They also gave me build week 24 which is next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #3
pjfk101
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45e21 View Post
That really sucks. Did you get anything in writing from them? I was in a similar situation- waiting for allocation status. I got a Vehicle Inquiry Report that had my name and details of my configuration. Once they got the allocation after 10 days, I got another VIR with production number. They also gave me build week 24 which is next week.
The deal was in writing but were dragging the BMWFS 0.9% rate approval for 10 days. I kept calling and then the SA told me that they no longer have a JUNE allocation even though when I agreed to the pricing terms with the manager VIA email he said it would be for their JUNE allocation. I was upset. And now this deal that slipped timing wise looks amazing since no other dealers I speak to are doing any MSRP cuts.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
akin67
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfk101 View Post
The deal was in writing but were dragging the BMWFS 0.9% rate approval for 10 days. I kept calling and then the SA told me that they no longer have a JUNE allocation even though when I agreed to the pricing terms with the manager VIA email he said it would be for their JUNE allocation. I was upset. And now this deal that slipped timing wise looks amazing since no other dealers I speak to are doing any MSRP cuts.

Write a letter to BMW Corporate and let them know. Also, give honest reviews of their operating practices on Google Maps, as well as on boards like this so other potential buyers don't waste their time. Also do the same on BBB website. In these reviews name names. Name the sales guy, name the sales manager and the GM. Lastly, many dealers are now owned by Lithia or other national chains that own hundreds of dealers. Write a letter to the CEO of their corporate parent. We consumers have to let dealers know that such behavior will come at a cost. You may be surprised how quickly your allocation comes back. Dealers take reviews very seriously these days.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjfk101 View Post

with the manager VIA email he said it would be for their JUNE allocation. I was upset.
Sorry to hear about the hassle OP (been there!) - the trick is to get the production # from the dealer before any negotiation - if they won't give you the production number, walk; they have no allocation & emails & "in writing" is utterly meaningless. Once you have the PN you can track it and ensure the order has your specs.

Example from a dealer email to me after asking for the PN this past fall:
me:
can you confirm you have a production number ready to go for an order?

Dealer:
... Production number for the order: 35xxx4. At this point the car is scheduled to be produced / assemble 1st/2nd week of Oct - that should put the car here by 1st week of Nov, possible even by the end of Oct. ...
Once you have the PN you can call the BMW 1-800 num, enter the PN and confirm the status. If everything checks out, go forward and ensure the PN is updated with your color / options by asking for screen shot of the order, and by calling the 1800 num.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akin67 View Post

Write a letter to BMW Corporate and let them know ... write reviews ... Dealers take reviews very seriously these days.
Yeeeaahhhh ... one can do all that stuff but it won't make a bit of difference - this is how dealers operate and what they do; they know it, BMWNA knows it, and we know it. They simply make too much profit off of customers unfamiliar with dealer ops & ordering arcana.

This forum is the only way around it and, frankly, if that dealer gives me a PN & 10% off, I'd order from them and so would you.

Last edited by GrussGott; 06-13-2021 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
bandersen587.00
      06-13-2021, 12:46 AM   #6
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Its really hard to get an X5 45e allocations. My Sales manager friend could sell it to me for 10 to 12 k off but thats probably for me deal only. I wish I could help..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
G07xG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 - 2024 M3 Comp

Ice I’ve seen you throwing these 10-13% discounts on almost every post. Can you help anyone get that discount or are you just boasting that you have a “sales manager friend”
Appreciate 2
Datemike109.00
sebseb72.00
      06-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
iceRN09
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive, X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey335is View Post
Ice I’ve seen you throwing these 10-13% discounts on almost every post. Can you help anyone get that discount or are you just boasting that you have a “sales manager friend”
Depends what you are looking for. Are you able to go to MA? Recently had a deal for a 330i loaner which fell through but he is giving it like 9K off the sticker. Which is 46K MSRP. So thats 20% off MSRP. If you are looking for one. 10% of MSRP i can prob swing that on a brand new one. It used to have 3.5 K apr credit. Now its 2k only.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 03:06 PM   #9
platinum903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, G05 X5

They took you to the woodshed and there is nothing you can do other than bitch and moan. Dealers have consumers by the balls right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 10:17 PM   #10
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

I had a 21 X5 sold right out from under me today in a matter of hours. In search a strong white X5 M50i build anywhere within a 2 hr flight from DC.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #11
pjfk101
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
I had a 21 X5 sold right out from under me today in a matter of hours. In search a strong white X5 M50i build anywhere within a 2 hr flight from DC.
It might be the universe telling you to wait a few months

Time will go quickly - its the summer
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #12
Dive4air
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 ///M Sport, ///M4

Market is so tight right now for new and used cars. Used car prices are going insane. Dealers are buying used cars just to keep traffic in the dealership. My local Huyndai and Chevrolet dealers have more Jeep wranglers than the jeep dealer. my BMW multi-car bran luxury dealer had 1 X5. He's buying used sports cars and regular cars to make up for traffic and selling every one. it's a crazy market. If you can wait, wait. That's my advice. Otherwise shop the nation and be willing to fly and drive. Some dealers are still honorable and giving discounts although not like old days. But unfortunately, some dealers are still capitalistic pigs and asking MSRP. Yesterday a friend told me his KIA dealer asked for premium over MSRP on a KIA Telluride. I about fell off my chair.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
yahtzee
El Capitan
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dive4air View Post
Market is so tight right now for new and used cars. Used car prices are going insane. Dealers are buying used cars just to keep traffic in the dealership. My local Huyndai and Chevrolet dealers have more Jeep wranglers than the jeep dealer. my BMW multi-car bran luxury dealer had 1 X5. He's buying used sports cars and regular cars to make up for traffic and selling every one. it's a crazy market. If you can wait, wait. That's my advice. Otherwise shop the nation and be willing to fly and drive. Some dealers are still honorable and giving discounts although not like old days. But unfortunately, some dealers are still capitalistic pigs and asking MSRP. Yesterday a friend told me his KIA dealer asked for premium over MSRP on a KIA Telluride. I about fell off my chair.
Yep. I just sold my 2021 Yukon Denali (a year old with 12k miles on it) for sticker price to my dealer. Insane.
Appreciate 0