BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-14-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
rysol
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Is the M Sport Professional Package worth it?

I like the M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers, but it has to come with "M Sport Professional Package" which costs an additional $1000, and I also like the Extended Shadowline Trim as well but unfortunately, there is an individual option for that. Not a fan of "M Shadowline Lights" or "Illuminated Kidney Grille" tbh

Would it be possible to only have those 2 installed/replaced later on or the M Sport Pro Pkg worth the cost?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:15 AM   #2
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Pre-LCI when painted calipers and extended shadowline were stand alone options, they were $650 and $300, respectively.

The M Sport Professional includes these, plus the illuminated kidneys and shadowline lights all for $850.

So it doesn't make any sense to not get the M Sport Professional if you want calipers + extended shadowline.

I'm not sure if you can turn the grille lighting off in the settings.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:18 AM   #3
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rysol View Post
I like the M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers, but it has to come with "M Sport Professional Package" which costs an additional $1000, and I also like the Extended Shadowline Trim as well but unfortunately, there is an individual option for that. Not a fan of "M Shadowline Lights" or "Illuminated Kidney Grille" tbh

Would it be possible to only have those 2 installed/replaced later on or the M Sport Pro Pkg worth the cost?
with M Pro pack, you also get M exhaust system. It changes the exhaust note. IMHO its worth the cost given everything that is in it. I personally, like the blacked out headlights too.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 07:02 AM   #4
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

You can turn off the illuminated grille from idrive so can ignore that. Its just the M Shadowline Lights headlights you'd have to live with.

Have you seen the M Shadowline Lights in person next to standard headlights? If not that may change your opinion on them.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 08:31 AM   #5
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
You can turn off the illuminated grille from idrive so can ignore that. Its just the M Shadowline Lights headlights you'd have to live with.

Have you seen the M Shadowline Lights in person next to standard headlights? If not that may change your opinion on them.
I have the shadowline lights on my car, didn't have them on previous G05 but am yet to notice any difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMPHIL View Post
I have the shadowline lights on my car, didn't have them on previous G05 but am yet to notice any difference.
The difference is subtle but I think they look good.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 09:55 AM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Please don’t confuse safety with that shiny painted caliber. Unless your drive your x5 on track, the bigger brake makes zero difference in braking performance. The limitation on street usage is always the tires. People largely get it down the look.

Regarding hitch, once your get it, there is no option to get kick sensor back. It is not a $250 option.
Appreciate 2
taek293.50
Swappy531.50
      05-15-2023, 11:17 AM   #8
rysol
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post

Actually no I haven't seen it in person, I can hardly tell the difference when browsing online image

Last edited by rysol; 05-15-2023 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 01:38 PM   #9
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Upgraded calipers= larger diameter rotors

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1886999
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 02:55 PM   #10
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdah View Post
I was debating if I should get M sport professional option before made my order. I eventually ordered M Sport professional package.

There's basically two approaches to get better brakes:

1) Tow hitch option $650

2) M sport professional package
This is not correct. MSport brakes are available as an option without getting the MSport Professional package. The package is only required is you want red calipers.
Attached Images

realdah57.00
      05-15-2023, 05:09 PM   #11
realdah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
This is not correct. MSport brakes are available as an option without getting the MSport Professional package. The package is only required is you want red calipers.

Thanks TurtleBoy, I didn't know that it is only required for red calipers. then, it makes sense for OP to just get blue one for $650.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 05:20 PM   #12
fr_tz
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90/G05 50e

Garage List
2024 G05 50e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Curious, do you know why BMW does it this way and not make both colors available as a standalone option?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 06:01 PM   #13
FastMarkA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_tz View Post
Curious, do you know why BMW does it this way and not make both colors available as a standalone option?
If I had to guess, red calipers are definitely the more "look at me!" ones, so requiring the rest of the M-Sport decoration completes the look.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr_tz View Post
I would assume to generate more income. They were always available as a standalone until the LCI. They seem to be very popular so perhaps a way to sell the package.
realdah57.00
      05-15-2023, 07:39 PM   #15
MG21
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Chevy Tahoe

Imo if u get a lighter color it looks odd with out the package. Body color + gray grill+ black bumper. It looks bad imo.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 12:37 PM   #16
FIOSCH
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mercedes GLE 350 de

The problem I encountered with the M Sport Pro pack when configuring the 50e I’ve got on order (in Skyscraper Grey) is that in the UK has to be combined with either 21” 741 M or 22” 742 M style wheels (at pack cost of £2,100 and £3,200 respectively) neither of which appealed to me - both rather too fussy, or over elaborate IMO, and quite predictable now having been around in the UK for quite a while as the ‘standard’ offerings in the larger sizes, such that the vast majority of X5s of recent years that one sees on the road here have one or the other with M Sport Pro/extended shadowline trim - browse BMW UK’s approved used website and you’ll find scores of such cars - far fewer with the 20” 740 M wheels that actually are the standard for the M Sport but regarded by most here as too small for the X5.

Have to say that I quite like the style of the 20” 740 M, which to me don’t really look undersize on the X5, though I accept 21” and 22” are an improvement visually. Certainly 20” is best size for winter tyres, even with the wider 10.5J rear wheels you get with the staggered sizing in the UK. So I’ve specified the standard 740 M (meaning I couldn’t get M Sport Pro pack) intending to change those over to winter tyres, non-runflat probably (Pirelli Scorpion Winter appear to be the only winter runflats available for 305/40 R20 size required for the rear rims) and for summer have acquired a set of M Performance 22” 749 M (complete with Pirelli P Zeros) which I think will look great on the car, and being flow forged, stronger and lighter than the 742 M which are cast alloy I believe.

Had I been able to get the M Sport Pro pack with wheels that I wanted, or the other features separately, would have done that, but only in order to have grille in black as not concerned to have the ‘iconic glow’, seat belt striping, black tailpipe finishers, (slightly) shadowline headlights, or the option of red brake calipers - blue ones I think are just as nice and perhaps better suited to the BMW badge, bearing in mind also the blue elements in the headlights (certainly the non-shadowline version has those) adding to the blue touches. Moreover the 50e does not anyway get the sport exhaust that’s part of the M Sport Pro pack for other engines.

But though the pre-LCI M Sport definitely does look better with black shadowline grille, not convinced that’s the case for the LCI, because of the large black area of bumper below merging with the grille, lacking body colour between to separate them that on the pre-LCI breaks up the blackness, whereas on the LCI the black grille sitting right on top of the bumper makes it rather too extensively black at the front I think. And then for everything to be in keeping with / complementing the ultra dark look of that (unless perhaps the car’s in a dark body colour so that the bumper visually merges with the body) tends to lead down the path of having all exterior trim/components including wheels in a black finish, which in my view giving the car too much of an aggressive, sporty look. Better I think to retain some bright touches, on the wheels and elsewhere on the car, such as the tailpipe finishers, rear model badge, and maybe the grille as well, or at least the grille struts or frame in bright finish to alleviate the black. On the other hand, having the entirely bright grille on top of the black bumper, with no body colour between, may give appearance, particularly on a car in a lighter colour, of the grille receding and the bumper projecting forward when viewed from the front, which maybe is not the best look.

I’ll have to wait and see what my car looks like when I have it with the 749 M wheels fitted, and if I reckon the grille would be better black, expect can get OEM M Sport Pro version fitted instead of the chrome - wouldn’t mind the ‘iconic glow’ if I could turn it off! Or maybe could get M Performance grille if that becomes available for the LCI - saw one recently on a pre-LCI X5 40d, with carbon fibre frame around black struts that looked just right on that car, in British Racing Green! Whilst I won’t have individual (£5,000!) colour on my 50e, carbon fibre exterior trim I’m thinking would look good on it and could add carbon fibre mirror caps, front splitter, rear diffuser etc, which although expensive would give the car a more individual look than the ubiquitous extended shadowline / M Sport Pro!

Some might say just get the Sport/Classic, or ‘xLine’ as that is known in the UK or ‘Serie’ in Germany, model perhaps better suited to 20” wheels to which all season tyres can be fitted (runflats if you have a ‘square’ set up) avoiding configuration complications and additional expense involved with the M Sport and seasonal wheel changing. That I agree would make sense, but peculiar to BMW UK currently the 50e is available only as M Sport model, since the only engine you can have for the xLine model here is the diesel 3.0d. And if you want mild hybrid petrol engine, that’s only available here as the M60i, an altogether different kettle of fish!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 05:16 PM   #17
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

I have 22's on my car and no need to change from summer tyres in South of England, our weather isn't severe enough and the X5 handles it well not like my GLC AMG43 where i had to have winter wheels/tyres due to the car skipping when cold and wet.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 09:53 AM   #18
Cruise'n
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Yes 👍
Appreciate 0