07-27-2020, 09:38 AM   #67
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post

What I like for example, is if you are traveling down a three lane (or more) road and you're in the far left lane and want to move to the center lane, you can clearly see both the center lane and the far right lane. This helps in situations when a car in the far right is also moving to the center at the same time as you; helps avoid the whoops!
^ this is a good function of these mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #68
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddelX52019G05 View Post
These mirrors are a really nice upgrade, even following the best practice way to adjust your mirrors you really only pick up the lane of travel next to you clearly.

What I like for example, is if you are traveling down a three lane (or more) road and you're in the far left lane and want to move to the center lane, you can clearly see both the center lane and the far right lane. This helps in situations when a car in the far right is also moving to the center at the same time as you; helps avoid the whoops!

You'll pick up other car transitions faster having the wider road view, it's awesome! It definitely gives me more confidence in seeing the wider field of view.
Ditto the 3 lanes or more. ...and not trying to say anything bad about the appropriate adjustment of the regular mirrors as given in the video and others etc...but this is really an apples to oranges comparison, As you state, the wide angle mirrors...even when set correctly...just give an overall wider viewing area.

You can see in the pics below of my old e53 X5 with its wide angle mirrors...I’m on a 3 lane boulevard that has additional 4th turning lanes. You can see in the pics below that when I’m in the turning lanes...I have a view of all 3 lanes of traffic to the side of the vehicle:

{Driver’s side}

{Passenger’s side}

BTW, just picked up a set for a f15 X5 50i I just picked up a few weeks ago. The first mod will be wide angle/EC/heated mirrors. There coming from a seller in Cluj Romania purchased off eBay. He was selling them for $120...but I put it on my wish list. He sent out an email that he was down to his last pair so was dropping the price to $90 to the first buyer. I offered back with a $70 offer...then he responded with his last/final offer of $85. I responded with SOLD!

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-27-2020 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:46 PM   #69
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Thank you all for discussing these EURO spec wide-angle aspherical mirrors. Ordered the following two from eBay seller from Spain, but couldn't find a passenger side mirror with auto dimming.

Question: Does any G05 models/trims have auto dimmed + heated + blind spot passenger side mirror?
  • Driver Side Mirror: 51167441443 (Blind Spot, Heated, Auto Dimmed).
  • Passenger Side Mirror: 51169491786 (Blind Spot, Heated).
      11-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #70
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
Thank you all for discussing these EURO spec wide-angle aspherical mirrors. Ordered the following two from eBay seller from Spain, but couldn't find a passenger side mirror with auto dimming.

Question: Does any G05 models/trims have auto dimmed + heated + blind spot passenger side mirror?
  • Driver Side Mirror: 51167441443 (Blind Spot, Heated, Auto Dimmed).
  • Passenger Side Mirror: 51169491786 (Blind Spot, Heated).
No, G05 passenger mirrors are not auto-dimming. Not really sure why not and I thought it would be bad, but seems ok without dimming (both on the stock Canadian mirrors and the aspherical replacement, which are major visibility difference on driver side and minor on passenger side relative to stock).
      12-16-2020, 07:41 AM   #71
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Received my Euro spec mirrors. They were nicely packed in bubble wrap. Looks good so far. Seller is from Spain, but shipped the mirrors from Belarus warehouse using Belpost. Will install soon. First two images are from seller, last two are mine:
Attached Images

12-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #72
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
No video but its like Fast400 has first mentioned...

1. Get in your drivers seat, adjust it to your liking, two hands on the wheel, arms slightly bent and then set the memory so you can always get to that position again
2. Place your face against the drivers window so you are looking at the drivers side view mirror. Basically your head is just kissing the glass.
3. Adjust the drivers side mirror horizontally so you can see down the drivers side of your car a little, not a lot.
4. Adjust the vertical position of the mirror to your liking but you will need to be able to pickup a low height sports car as well as a semi truck.
5. Now place your head directly above the center console and do the same for the passenger side mirror.
6. With those adjustments, get into the center lane of a three lane freeway and while sitting in the normal driving position, two hands on the wheel, arms slightly bent, simply turn your head to look out both mirrors and make any final, minor adjustments. Try not to lean left or right when looking out the mirrors.
7. You will want to see the same car in your rear view mirror that you do in your side view mirrors. You will not see 100% of the car in both mirrors at the same time.

Remember, anytime your drivers seat position is changed (any part of the seat), it will change what you see when you look out your mirrors. Here's the hard part, resisting spinning your head around to look out the windows for direct line of site viewing instead of trusting your mirrors. If you are driving at 60mph and you spin your head around to look sideways or slightly behind you and that takes say 2 seconds, you just drove 176 feet without looking in front of you

Anyway, try it, see how it goes. It took me around a week to get used to it. The mirror Fast400 installed will certainly help and maybe some would prefer the mirror but I never liked the visual distortion concave mirrors produced. You know those words in your passenger side view mirror that says objects are closer than they appear? I like seeing them in real size.
I’ve been doing this for years, I read it in a AAA article back in the 80/90s. Never understood why this wasn’t the standard.

If done right, as car transition out of your review mirror, you will pick them up in the side mirrors and then into your peripheral vision never lose interest sight as the approach, come along side, and pass.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2021, 08:16 PM   #73
Grumpy311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, 328i

So why do we have to stupid warning in our mirrors in the US when the Europeans have the aspherical mirrors? Or am I misunderstanding what an aspherical mirror is?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 07:17 PM   #74
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy311 View Post
So why do we have to stupid warning in our mirrors in the US when the Europeans have the aspherical mirrors? Or am I misunderstanding what an aspherical mirror is?
This was covered in post #24 (I believe on the 2nd page). There are some excerpts from the DOT regulations...as well as a PDF downloadable link of the DOT regulations on mirrors etc.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0