BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-15-2020, 08:35 PM   #1
Bimmer_008
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

2021 X5 45e Acceleration Issues

Hey everyone, wondering if someone out there may have experienced this and/or has a solution...

I just got my X5 45e and I love it, it's really a well built and well engineered SUV. However, I have noticed that when I am in hybrid/electric mode and I come to a full stop for more than a few seconds (i.e. at a stop light), once I accelerate there is a very noticeable and uncomfortable jolt. It only happens during a full stop where I stay stopped for more than a few seconds. I can feel something shift while I'm stopped, not sure what this is. It doesn't matter how slowly I apply the accelerator, it just jolts, almost as if I'm popping the clutch, but that can't be possible in this. The only way around it is to lightly tap the accelerator pedal to "unlock" whatever is holding the X5 there so that I can accelerate smoothly. And this isn't an issue during quick stops at a stop sign or when I'm in sport mode and using the engine. It only happens with the electric motor and full stops where I feel that "shift" while sitting still. I should also add that this happens regardless of AutoH being on or off. I'd like to get this figured out/fixed because it's the only thing bugging me about my X5.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

Huh... I’ll try this tomorrow but I haven’t noticed it. Mine has been very smooth. But I’ll check again and pay attention to it
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 11:55 PM   #3
Rikkiokbye
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBimmer007 View Post
Hey everyone, wondering if someone out there may have experienced this and/or has a solution...

I just got my X5 45e and I love it, it's really a well built and well engineered SUV. However, I have noticed that when I am in hybrid/electric mode and I come to a full stop for more than a few seconds (i.e. at a stop light), once I accelerate there is a very noticeable and uncomfortable jolt. It only happens during a full stop where I stay stopped for more than a few seconds. I can feel something shift while I'm stopped, not sure what this is. It doesn't matter how slowly I apply the accelerator, it just jolts, almost as if I'm popping the clutch, but that can't be possible in this. The only way around it is to lightly tap the accelerator pedal to "unlock" whatever is holding the X5 there so that I can accelerate smoothly. And this isn't an issue during quick stops at a stop sign or when I'm in sport mode and using the engine. It only happens with the electric motor and full stops where I feel that "shift" while sitting still. I should also add that this happens regardless of AutoH being on or off. I'd like to get this figured out/fixed because it's the only thing bugging me about my X5.

Thanks!
Hi

No issue like this on mine for the three weeks I have had it.

Hope you get it sorted asap 👍🏽
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #4
IllustriousMari
Rep

Not from Hybrid mode. The only time I notice a slight jolt is when I switch to Sport mode and floor it hard, but even that is relatively mild.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:22 AM   #5
Bimmer_008
Rep

Thanks for the replies! Although it is unfortunate that no one else has experienced this issue...I'm hoping it's nothing and a quick fix but you never know.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:35 AM   #6
forestjump
Private
Rep
Drives:

I have the same issue with my 2020 45e. Like you, it is the only thing bugging me with the vehicle. (Apart from the battery recall!). Exact same symptoms so you are not alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 02:52 AM   #7
BrummyGit
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e M Sport

I’m waiting for delivery of my 45e but what has been described sounds exactly like my current Audi A6. When I fully stop I have the automatic handbrake set to engage automatically.

When I pull away, if I try to drive straight off it takes a split second to release causing a jolt. I have learned to make a light tap on the throttle before pulling away, the handbrake releases, and everything is smooth. It’s so second nature now that I don’t even realise I do it any more.

Maybe the electric motor needs brakes to assist when it’s stopped whereas the ICE can hold itself without?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 03:21 AM   #8
marcpitt
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

I also experience this ... I think. It feels to me almost like some slop in the drivetrain that is slipping and then kicks in creating this jolt. Like an old truck with a bad u-joint. But I assume it is not that, but rather the auto start of the ICE and then additional force into the XDrive system which has already started with the electric motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #9
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

I think it’s the auto hold function? I had the same uncomfortable feeling, and since disabling that I no longer “feel” the jolt when accelerating from full standstill.
Appreciate 1
Sirksael102.50
      12-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #10
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBimmer007 View Post
...I have noticed that when I am in hybrid/electric mode and I come to a full stop for more than a few seconds (i.e. at a stop light), once I accelerate there is a very noticeable and uncomfortable jolt.

I'm not sure what you mean by hybrid/electric mode. Are you in Hybrid drive mode or Electric drive mode when this happens?

If it's hybrid, you could be using the ICE and not realize it. The ICE sounds aren't piped through the speakers at nearly the same volume as in Sport mode, so it can be difficult to know that the ICE is running. It doesn't change to a tachometer in Hybrid mode when the ICE is running. At a longer stop the ICE will shut down. You may be experiencing the ICE firing up as you hit the accelerator. I have felt this in Hybrid mode.

In Electric mode, I always have smooth acceleration. If you're having this issue in Electric drive mode, I would schedule a visit to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #11
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

I was in electric this morning and it was very smooth. No jolting. And to be clear for anyone else, I did not have Auto hold on
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 09:10 AM   #12
marcpitt
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taybo20 View Post
I was in electric this morning and it was very smooth. No jolting. And to be clear for anyone else, I did not have Auto hold on
I also have never set or use Autohold and experience this. Not in electric mode. Only in hybrid or sport.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I have my 45e for almost a year and I never felt a jolt when accelerating from stand still.

My default is electric individual and it is really smooth in accelerating from stand still.

Off course of you do a kick down in sport and the ICE kicks in with full power I feel the ICE but I presume this is not the issue.

In hybrid mode, when accelerating normally the ICE should only kick in above a certain speed (unless you never charge and your HV battery is always discharged)

Although you say it isn't, your description of the problem sounds like you have autohold on. The feeling something locks when you stop and the resistance/ jolt when accelerating again sounds like the autohold function. Maybe stupid to ask but the AutoH symbol is not visible on your dashboard?

If it is not I would visit the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #14
Bimmer_008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestjump View Post
I have the same issue with my 2020 45e. Like you, it is the only thing bugging me with the vehicle. (Apart from the battery recall!). Exact same symptoms so you are not alone.
Glad to hear I'm not alone in this, granted I don't think it's a great sign that only some of us are experiencing this. Sorry to hear you got caught up in the battery recall as well, I hope the repair went well
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
Bimmer_008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpitt View Post
I also experience this ... I think. It feels to me almost like some slop in the drivetrain that is slipping and then kicks in creating this jolt. Like an old truck with a bad u-joint. But I assume it is not that, but rather the auto start of the ICE and then additional force into the XDrive system which has already started with the electric motor.
Exactly, very annoying for an otherwise very comfortable luxury SUV. It's just that piece of refinement that's missing, granted some people don't have this issue
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:42 PM   #16
Bimmer_008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
I think it’s the auto hold function? I had the same uncomfortable feeling, and since disabling that I no longer “feel” the jolt when accelerating from full standstill.
I've tried driving with AutoH on and off, and unfortunately the problem persists regardless of the AutoH setting. On an unrelated note, with AutoH off, does your X5 roll backwards when you let off the brake on a hill (like a stop light on a hill)?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:44 PM   #17
Bimmer_008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by hybrid/electric mode. Are you in Hybrid drive mode or Electric drive mode when this happens?

If it's hybrid, you could be using the ICE and not realize it. The ICE sounds aren't piped through the speakers at nearly the same volume as in Sport mode, so it can be difficult to know that the ICE is running. It doesn't change to a tachometer in Hybrid mode when the ICE is running. At a longer stop the ICE will shut down. You may be experiencing the ICE firing up as you hit the accelerator. I have felt this in Hybrid mode.

In Electric mode, I always have smooth acceleration. If you're having this issue in Electric drive mode, I would schedule a visit to the dealer.
Pretty much whenever it's using the electric motor by itself, so electric mode or hybrid mode when it's not using the engine. I've reached out to the dealer, just waiting to hear back now. Seems like this isn't normal so it should be looked in to.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #18
Bimmer_008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
I have my 45e for almost a year and I never felt a jolt when accelerating from stand still.

My default is electric individual and it is really smooth in accelerating from stand still.

Off course of you do a kick down in sport and the ICE kicks in with full power I feel the ICE but I presume this is not the issue.

In hybrid mode, when accelerating normally the ICE should only kick in above a certain speed (unless you never charge and your HV battery is always discharged)

Although you say it isn't, your description of the problem sounds like you have autohold on. The feeling something locks when you stop and the resistance/ jolt when accelerating again sounds like the autohold function. Maybe stupid to ask but the AutoH symbol is not visible on your dashboard?

If it is not I would visit the dealer.
I've definitely tried it with AutoH on and off, and it still persists unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 01:01 AM   #19
Bimmer_008
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taybo20 View Post
Thanks for checking yours, seems like it only affects some X5's then
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #20
codex57
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e, Tesla Model 3

No way that's AutoH. AutoH is smooth. Basically, it's like an extra foot to hold onto the brakes for your. If you hit the gas, it lets go like a human would. If there's a jolt, there's something wrong and you need to take it to the dealer. AutoH isn't exclusive to BMW and automatics have been around for a while. There's absolutely no reason why there should be a jolt or sound beyond possibly squeaky brakes in very specific conditions which would happen regardless of whether AutoH is used or not.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 12:56 AM   #21
Jin Ihn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5 45e

Thumbs up I have purchased X5 45e in 24th Aug 2020

I have exactly experienced the same as you did.
I hope BMW officially react and give some feedbacks on this symptoms.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:45 PM   #22
Eu001939
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 30d MSport and X3 20d

The electric motor, which is mounted inside the gearbox between the ICE and the rest of the gearbox system, has a clutch system in it that engages or disengages the electric motor from the drive train. Sometimes you can feel that in certain situations, although is barely noticeable. Maybe there is an issue with that on your car...
Appreciate 0