03-18-2024, 07:35 PM   #1
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Noisy Cabin

Annoyed by the Cabin Noise to post the inquiry

I haven't decided where the noise is....or noises is
I really need to get all the kiddo's crap out of the rear doors so it's empty and all things that may move

I hear a rattle occasionally from either Drivers Side B Pillar and or some aft rear Driver Side.

I don't think it's tire noise but I have varying noises in the cabin to decipher....everytime a small rock or pebble get's kicked up into the wheel well, I hear it . It's not rubber as I hear the same -ping- whether I'm on snows or summers.

I suspect it's just door seals and not great contact or maybe it's windows, but I get some road noise that should be quieter in the cabin.

Is it me or am I just looking for noises.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 08:59 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i find my 2021 45e very acceptable with regards to cabin noise. it's so minimal, i can keep the media volume around 15% and hear songs/radio comfortably. the only time i have to raise media volume is when HVAC is blowing max at the beginning of the trip to heat up or cool down the cabin (if i don't precondition). i roll on 20" Pirelli Scorpion A/S RFT
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 10:54 PM   #3
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Try opening and reclosing the panoramic roof cover. That sometimes create issue if you keep it closed for a long time.
Sometimes it's the door seal -- use a door seal sealant to keep that conditioned. If that is dry it makes rubbing noise.
There's few other mechanical things you can check on this forum if you search for it. But above was my solution to treat the issue.
Appreciate 1
Ninja_H20.50
      03-18-2024, 11:53 PM   #4
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e M-Sport

Garage List
Check your sunroof seal. Our '22 45e was starting to sound noisy like a window wasn't closed all the way, and upon inspection I noticed the seal had shrunk.

After the dealer replaced the seal, it is once again QUIET just like when we picked it up at PCD. I barely have to raise the volume up to ~40%.

The photo with the seal shrunken is the passenger side and the other photo is the driver side. It shrunk enough to make the cabin noisy.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 01:12 AM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Mine is pretty quiet except when wife or kids are complaining. BMW said they could not fix that issue and it was not covered under warranty
Appreciate 7
BMPHIL629.00
Mattl0806987.50
nZtiZia4653.50
LDT1539.50
R3v1v331.50
sbc-yyc84.00
BzsBimmer3274.00
      03-19-2024, 07:09 AM   #6
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Mine is pretty quiet except when wife or kids are complaining. BMW said they could not fix that issue and it was not covered under warranty
Omg - I have this same problem, come on bmw it’s time to step up!! lol
Appreciate 1
Ninja_H20.50
      03-19-2024, 07:09 AM   #7
chefwong
Major
Rep

Was your Seal full coverage @ delivery or you can see it was visually shrunk. Our Sunroof Seal was short from the factory on our July 22 Build
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:06 AM   #8
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
you win the internet today!
Appreciate 1
eluded3043.00
      03-19-2024, 08:08 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Was your Seal full coverage @ delivery or you can see it was visually shrunk. Our Sunroof Seal was short from the factory on our July 22 Build
short from the start, but the noise has only been an issue recently? still worth mentioning if you decide to take it in
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 08:35 AM   #10
chefwong
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
short from the start, but the noise has only been an issue recently? still worth mentioning if you decide to take it in
Always there I suppose, but just different observations...

I should check the sunroof seal to see if it's shrunk further..

Way earlier on in ownership, there was buffeting noise that I could semi-duplicate, but can't duplicate now. There are times where IDGAF and there are times where you just start picking up all the noises cause one is on Chill mode and you more aware.

Road/Wind Noise has gotten annoying to the point that I have checked the DS Door Seal on at least 3 occasions, just to see if I was going crazy and something was pinched.

Ha, Maybe I need to take it back old school and add sound sound deading to the panels . It definitely helps....I used to go all out and pull the interior and trunk and line as much as one possibly could. I don't have the gusto in me do do that sorta stuff these days

Last edited by chefwong; 03-19-2024 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:34 AM   #11
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Annoyed by the Cabin Noise to post the inquiry

I haven't decided where the noise is....or noises is
I really need to get all the kiddo's crap out of the rear doors so it's empty and all things that may move

I hear a rattle occasionally from either Drivers Side B Pillar and or some aft rear Driver Side.

I don't think it's tire noise but I have varying noises in the cabin to decipher....everytime a small rock or pebble get's kicked up into the wheel well, I hear it . It's not rubber as I hear the same -ping- whether I'm on snows or summers.

I suspect it's just door seals and not great contact or maybe it's windows, but I get some road noise that should be quieter in the cabin.

Is it me or am I just looking for noises.
Same with my 45e; occasional plastic-on-plastic rattle when going over bumps. Happens often enough to annoy, but not often enough to expect the shop to find the problem. Grinning and bearing it until it (a) goes away or (b) gets bad enough that the shop can't fail to hear it.

But generally I agree that the cabin is exceptionally quiet
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:39 AM   #12
g8r
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 & BMW X5 2024

I have the 21 and 24 x drive X5 40i and they are as quiet as the previous Lexus RX 350s that I have owned.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 10:58 AM   #13
Ninja_H
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
Check your sunroof seal. Our '22 45e was starting to sound noisy like a window wasn't closed all the way, and upon inspection I noticed the seal had shrunk.

After the dealer replaced the seal, it is once again QUIET just like when we picked it up at PCD. I barely have to raise the volume up to ~40%.

The photo with the seal shrunken is the passenger side and the other photo is the driver side. It shrunk enough to make the cabin noisy.
That's a huge gap. Nice color BTW
      03-19-2024, 11:36 AM   #14
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The seal wasn't short and covered full length upon pick up. The drive home from PCD was very quiet and it never sounded like a window wasn't closed all the way.

I rarely sit in the passenger seat, and mid January I was, and heard this noise directly above me. Almost like a faint whistling sound once we got up to ~35 mph. Got louder as we got on the highway, and once we got to our destination I looked at the seal and saw the gap. I drove home and did not hear the whistling noise, but it did sound like a window wasn't closed all the way.

To say I was annoyed with my family as they NEVER mentioned the noise is an understatement. BMW drove it and heard the noise. The tech put some tape over the gap, drove it again and the noise was gone. Replaced the seal, test drove again, and no noise.

As nZtiZia mentioned, can't hurt to bring it up at your next service visit. My replacement was covered under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_H View Post
That's a huge gap. Nice color BTW
Yea, especially since the seal covered the whole length upon pick up. Not sure if I should be concerned or not about the issue returning as it's a late June '22 build with only 12,500 miles, and is garage kept. Only time she sees sunlight is when we're driving, other than that it's strictly the garage. I forgot where I read it, but they're gluing the seal when replacing to help prevent shrinkage.

I still love the Java Green II, and would do it all over again on our next one, but I see BMW made available Sakhir Orange III for the X5, so that may be an option as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 12:59 PM   #15
chefwong
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arRod1981 View Post
The seal wasn't short and covered full length upon pick up.

Your pic of the short is how mine looked like upon pickup....
I didn't really want to fuss with it and observe since I'm not the hugest fan of dealer visits.

Interesting remark on how it has shrunk back again though
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 03:38 PM   #16
arRod1981
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your pic of the short is how mine looked like upon pickup....
I didn't really want to fuss with it and observe since I'm not the hugest fan of dealer visits.

Interesting remark on how it has shrunk back again though
It hasn't shrunk back, it has only been replaced once back in mid-Feb 2024. My concern was it shrinking back again since the X5 is only 20 months old, and it needed to be replaced so early in its life.

If when you picked yours up and it had the gap as shown in my picture, I want to strongly lean towards that may be your interior noise issue. Ours didn't have a gap on pick up and was incredibly quiet. The seal shrunk and road noise appeared, and after replacement it's quiet again.

You can do a simple test to see by placing some painters tape over the gap, and if the noise goes away you found the culprit.
Appreciate 0