BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-15-2024, 04:52 PM   #1
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

Pro Tip: You must enable climate control for remote start

LCI: It's in the climate control menu. After enabling this it informs me having climate control running with remote start is actually illegal in some states. I never knew this was a thing.

Otherwise remote start works fine but it just blows hot air in Florida until you get in the car and press the start button. Kind of useless for my use case. I thought it was broken.

I'm not sure why this is a thing but maybe it has something to do with idling and camping out on public highways with a van, or maybe an environmentalist thing. Just kind of bizarre that you can remote start by default but it won't run the AC.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 04:56 PM   #2
MADBMWX5MC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Same for Pre-LCI.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 05:57 PM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
tscharf when activating Remote Start, it should cool down the cabin with AC.

what are your HVAC settings before exiting? how much time are you letting elapse between activating RS and getting in the vehicle?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 06:31 PM   #4
tscharf
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5

I got in the car after remote starts and it was just running the climate control fans, but the AC was not on. (No AC animation in the temperature area and plenty hot after 10 minutes).

I searched the menu system and found the screens below. My vehicle is not a PHEV. I just tested it and the AC turned on this time after I enabled this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:37 PM   #5
Cityman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 M60i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscharf View Post
LCI: It's in the climate control menu. After enabling this it informs me having climate control running with remote start is actually illegal in some states. I never knew this was a thing.

Otherwise remote start works fine but it just blows hot air in Florida until you get in the car and press the start button. Kind of useless for my use case. I thought it was broken.

I'm not sure why this is a thing but maybe it has something to do with idling and camping out on public highways with a van, or maybe an environmentalist thing. Just kind of bizarre that you can remote start by default but it won't run the AC.
The reason it is unlawful in some jurisdictions has to do with auto theft and safety if it would somehow shift into gear. Many of these laws are antiquated and have not been updated for modern cars. If you keep your hvac on auto, the next time you use remote start it will definitely help heat or cool to the target temp. Of course with an ICE, your AC is not very efficient when idleing. But, it will help.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 04:44 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Another couple of reasons it’s illegal some places to leave a vehicle idling is pollution and noise. Modern engines do not generally benefit from a long idle prior to starting off unless you expect to need maximum performance. Otherwise, taking it fairly gentle until it starts to warm is all that’s required. Obviously, it’s nice to get into a comfortable cabin, and that’s really the only good reason to use it. You get zero MPG while it’s sitting there idling.

Also note, that that option tends to be shut off each time there’s an OTA software update. Most of the stuff is ‘remembered’, but it seems that aspect may not be, or hasn’t been. Maybe newer updates records that information, but I’ve not seen it.

FWIW, where I live, the anti-idling ordinances only apply to trucks.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 10:23 AM   #7
djohn
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

In Illinois, it is illegal to idle an unattended vehicle, but they exempted remote start (as long as it's locked). Also, there is no fine amount. That's the law essentially saying, "please don't do this."

The tougher anti-idling ordinance is for large diesels only.

I know an older man in rural Wisconsin who every day drives around his property puttering with stuff and eventually falls asleep in his idling truck. His wife got him a Prius.
Appreciate 0