BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
silkage
Registered
Rep
Drives: SAV

2019 first OTA will matching with Tesla V9.0 autopilot

Just got a inside news from a Chinese BMW senior engineer. He said the first OTA will available at later this summer. This OTA will match with Tesla autopilot V9.0. But I'm not sure about when will arrive at US market.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkage View Post
Just got a inside news from a Chinese BMW senior engineer. He said the first OTA will available at later this summer. This OTA will match with Tesla autopilot V9.0. But I'm not sure about when will arrive at US market.
huh?
      02-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
silkage
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjays View Post
Quote:
huh?
Sorry, I thought this saved as draft. Anyway, was searching about autopilot V9.0on Tesla.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

I doubt this to be true but the CEO have talked about the 2019 cars having hands free full speed on highway. Which i thought he misspoke because there is only hands free for traffic jam. But that might be a software update for later this year.

But then i question that because pre-december cars don't have hands free traffic jam yet...even with them having a driver facing cam.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
silkage
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
I doubt this to be true but the CEO have talked about the 2019 cars having hands free full speed on highway. Which i thought he misspoke because there is only hands free for traffic jam. But that might be a software update for later this year.

But then i question that because pre-december cars don't have hands free traffic jam yet...even with them having a driver facing cam.
From what I know, the X5 with driving assistances professional package included latest Mobileye system. Which are three cameras under the windshield. Total will be 12 camera on X5. He stated this system can reach L3 or L4 self driving.

Edit: not current X5 have 12 cameras. But current X5 dose have latest Mobileye hardware.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Don't compare Tesla's garbage to what BMW offers. Autopilot is inherently misleading not only in it's name but also capabilities. Their system is only an SAE II nothing more. In tact, Tesla doesn't use Radar or advanced sensor only cameras on most models where that's rolling out. The newer ones do have some changes to their cameras by adding sensors but otherwise they are trying to compensate for lack of hardware with software. I haven't seen whether or not BMW is anything more than SAE II but I doubt it. There are only 2 cars with SAE III and none are from Tesla
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #7
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
From what I know, the X5 with driving assistances professional package included latest Mobileye system. Which are three cameras under the windshield. Total will be 12 camera on X5. He stated this system can reach L3 or L4 self driving.

Edit: not current X5 have 12 cameras. But current X5 dose have latest Mobileye hardware.
well he's clearly mistaken. He must be talking about the iNext which is coming out in 2021. Current 2019 BMW do however have the new mobileye tri-focal camera and EyeQ4 chip which comes with mobileye's perception neural net. But the driving actuation is being done i believe by ZF a tier1. These tier1s are as incompetent as they come and do the bare minimal so they can pump things out quickly/

So no, i'm not holding my breath for any real improvement to DA Pro. Just wait till 2021 for the iNext which is internally developed by mobileye/bmw end to end.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

well he's clearly mistaken. He must be talking about the iNext which is coming out in 2021. Current 2019 BMW do however have the new mobileye tri-focal camera and EyeQ4 chip which comes with mobileye's perception neural net. But the driving actuation is being done i believe by ZF a tier1. These tier1s are as incompetent as they come and do the bare minimal so they can pump things out quickly/

So no, i'm not holding my breath for any real improvement to DA Pro. Just wait till 2021 for the iNext which is internally developed by mobileye/bmw end to end.
the X5 has SAE Level II automation not Level 1 if that's what you were trying to say.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
the X5 has SAE Level II automation not Level 1 if that's what you were trying to say.
I had to look up what SAE Level II was. :-)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-inn...ehicles-safety
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2019, 07:38 PM   #10
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post
Quote:
I had to look up what SAE Level II was. :-)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/technology-inn...ehicles-safety
Indeed, that's the standard most companies should following SAE levels are easy once you read about them
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #11
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 m3

Quote:
Quote:

In 2021 Bmw will go to aptiv as their tier 1 supplier for the camera system with mobileye eye q5. Magna will sell a lidar for the system using innoviz lidar. Bmw expects this to deliver L3 functionality.

The current system is using mobileye eye q4 with zf/trw as tier 1 supplier. Standard is monovision with trifocal optional.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
Quote:

In 2021 Bmw will go to aptiv as their tier 1 supplier for the camera system with mobileye eye q5. Magna will sell a lidar for the system using innoviz lidar. Bmw expects this to deliver L3 functionality.

The current system is using mobileye eye q4 with zf/trw as tier 1 supplier. Standard is monovision with trifocal optional.
Mobileye roadmap
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mobileye roadmap
wtf they're using a 28nmn process in 2019??? It's taking them until 2021 to shrink below that.. granted the jump to a 7nm mode is a big one but man that's sad to see
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
like2short
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mobileye roadmap
wtf they're using a 28nmn process in 2019??? It's taking them until 2021 to shrink below that.. granted the jump to a 7nm mode is a big one but man that's sad to see
Lol.... automotive design cycles are long!!! The eye q4 sampled in 2016. Eye q5 just started sampling. Silicon power is not everything, it took Tesla a long then to have function parity with the eye q3 using Nvidia processors with 8tflop performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #15
mnewnam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '21 Mineral White X5MC

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mobileye roadmap
Lol.... automotive design cycles are long!!! The eye q4 sampled in 2016. Eye q5 just started sampling. Silicon power is not everything, it took Tesla a long then to have function parity with the eye q3 using Nvidia processors with 8tflop performance.
Isn't MobileEye more advanced than a Tesla in terms of capability? From what I read, Elon had some sort of disagreement with MobileEye management and decided he could do it better, hence AutoPilot 2 was a Tesla design while the MobileEye system in AutoPilot 1 was at least initially more capable than the Tesla developed solution.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mobileye roadmap
even in 2016, 28nm was huge, most companies were using 16nm o 14nm so that's like a 10 year product cycle
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
flyinglarry
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 G05 40i

I'm wondering when we can adjust the suspension height from the Display key. The manual has couple pages talking specifically how this can be done, but my display key is missing the entire page of height adjustment menu called Entry Level
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:56 PM   #18
BMW_F1
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi e-tron 55

Quote:
even in 2016, 28nm was huge, most companies were using 16nm o 14nm so that's like a 10 year product cycle
EyeQ4 is on a 28nm FD-SOI as opposed to FinFET, so that is not exactly a fair comparison.

https://www.mobileye.com/our-technol...ion-eyeq-chip/
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:04 AM   #19
WAHF80M3
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I am so lost with all this technical talk haha...!! 🤔😬😵
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:29 AM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_F1 View Post
Quote:
EyeQ4 is on a 28nm FD-SOI as opposed to FinFET, so that is not exactly a fair comparison.

https://www.mobileye.com/our-technol...ion-eyeq-chip/
That's a little better but I'm still surprised by people using larger wafers on any process. Perhaps it boils down to cost
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:43 AM   #21
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

It's all about power consumption. The next iteration EyeQ5 appears to be running with 7nm tech. Their STM fab plant is one of the few with high yield 7nm.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #22
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
It's all about power consumption. The next iteration EyeQ5 appears to be running with 7nm tech. Their STM fab plant is one of the few with high yield 7nm.
it also consumes a lot more paper but overall it's really very little. I wonder if the process change will actually result in a denser microarchitecture or not because AMDs 7nm is less dense than Intel's 14nm++ for example in terms of transistors
Appreciate 0