Quote:
Originally Posted by like2short View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkage View Post
From what I know, the X5 with driving assistances professional package included latest Mobileye system. Which are three cameras under the windshield. Total will be 12 camera on X5. He stated this system can reach L3 or L4 self driving.

Edit: not current X5 have 12 cameras. But current X5 dose have latest Mobileye hardware.
well he's clearly mistaken. He must be talking about the iNext which is coming out in 2021. Current 2019 BMW do however have the new mobileye tri-focal camera and EyeQ4 chip which comes with mobileye's perception neural net. But the driving actuation is being done i believe by ZF a tier1. These tier1s are as incompetent as they come and do the bare minimal so they can pump things out quickly/

So no, i'm not holding my breath for any real improvement to DA Pro. Just wait till 2021 for the iNext which is internally developed by mobileye/bmw end to end.
In 2021 Bmw will go to aptiv as their tier 1 supplier for the camera system with mobileye eye q5. Magna will sell a lidar for the system using innoviz lidar. Bmw expects this to deliver L3 functionality.

The current system is using mobileye eye q4 with zf/trw as tier 1 supplier. Standard is monovision with trifocal optional.
Mobileye roadmap
wtf they're using a 28nmn process in 2019??? It's taking them until 2021 to shrink below that.. granted the jump to a 7nm mode is a big one but man that's sad to see
Lol.... automotive design cycles are long!!! The eye q4 sampled in 2016. Eye q5 just started sampling. Silicon power is not everything, it took Tesla a long then to have function parity with the eye q3 using Nvidia processors with 8tflop performance.
Isn't MobileEye more advanced than a Tesla in terms of capability? From what I read, Elon had some sort of disagreement with MobileEye management and decided he could do it better, hence AutoPilot 2 was a Tesla design while the MobileEye system in AutoPilot 1 was at least initially more capable than the Tesla developed solution.
It's a long answer.....but basically Tesla wants to move faster, while mobileye operates at a cadence that is more measured.

Notice that Tesla has a trifocal camera in front, like bmw has now. The original plan was for Tesla to use 3 eye q3 chips to power a trifocal design and then Migrate to eyeq4 that can handle all of them.

But there were a few issues that changed the relationship.

1. Tesla wanted to move faster, but mbly older parts were hard coded. Eye q5 is more programmable.

2. Mbly thought Tesla allowed drivers to think their cars were more autonomous than they really are .

3. Tesla switched to nvda, but yes the initial capability was not up to the system with mbly eyeq3.

4. One of the plans was to have the eyeq3 system running together with Tesla /nvda and it would train the Tesla system, but mbly did not like that.

5. Tesla is now using a processor of their own design.
Appreciate 2
mnewnam269.50
volodp196.50
      02-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #24
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
It's a long answer.....but basically Tesla wants to move faster, while mobileye operates at a cadence that is more measured.

Notice that Tesla has a trifocal camera in front, like bmw has now. The original plan was for Tesla to use 3 eye q3 chips to power a trifocal design and then Migrate to eyeq4 that can handle all of them.

But there were a few issues that changed the relationship.

1. Tesla wanted to move faster, but mbly older parts were hard coded. Eye q5 is more programmable.

2. Mbly thought Tesla allowed drivers to think their cars were more autonomous than they really are .

3. Tesla switched to nvda, but yes the initial capability was not up to the system with mbly eyeq3.

4. One of the plans was to have the eyeq3 system running together with Tesla /nvda and it would train the Tesla system, but mbly did not like that.

5. Tesla is now using a processor of their own design.
Nvidia makes good GPUs (I've owned a number and current run a 2080Ti) but Mobile Eye has the know how right now for this sort of thing. I have no doubt Nvidia will surpass them at some point on the software side.

Tesla did let people think that, hell their systems name is incredibly misleading
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0