10-26-2022, 11:24 AM   #89
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
overall, it's not about working all the kinks out as that period associated with new models and tech is over. the X5 45e was released in 2019 and is the second iteration of X5 PHEV (previous version was the X5 40e).

I've had my MY21 45e since Dec 2020. while it was getting a new lower tailgate motor in Oct 2021, it was flagged for the HV battery recall, which took a month to resolve (1 battery module was replaced). mind you, I never experienced any performance issues before its replacement. it just happened to be getting service for something else when it was flagged.
I somewhat agree to this. By now, the short term design kinks would have been worked out. The left over is quality and manufacturing consistency issues. However, long term design issues have yet to seen tho. Even car came out in 19, it is far too new to see long term design issues. We can see this examples in most if now all previous generation of BMWs or maybe just any other brands. Like E36 and E46's subframe cracking issue, mostly susceptible to couple, but really only showed up after 7 years or so. M engine rod bearing issues, mostly shows up at higher milege like 60-80k. N54 turbo release gate rattle. DI intake port carbon issue ...... I can keep going. Why we havn't heard too many N55 or B58 issues, because they are still new.
      10-26-2022, 06:33 PM   #90
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLiBMWX5 View Post
I share this incase anyone has any thoughts.
Here's a story from some years ago. Bought a brand new Volvo XC90. Not more than 15 miles on it on the first day of ownership, check engine light comes on: Urgent transmission service required. Pull the dipstick and the fluid looks like a strawberry milkshake.

I take it to the dealer and they determined that the transmission/radiator intercooler leaked and there was coolant in the transmission. The dealer was great. They gave me three options: (1) leave the car and get my money back, (2) order a replacement and wait for it, or (3) replace the transmission and take a loaner that could pull my boat on the 2 week vacation I had coming up. I took option 3, new transmission.

The transmission was changed, and the car ran great for years to come.
      10-28-2022, 11:18 AM   #91
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 XM,'21 45e 'Lemon', '23 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLiBMWX5 View Post
Reaching out as I am really upset to learn my new 2022 x5 i45e needs a new engine among other things.

About a month ago I noticed my check engine light was on and my service icon was illuminated. My interface in the care indicated Drivetrain and that is was ok to drive and to contact service - which I did. I took my car in on October 5th. I was told it was the air flap. Was then told it was repaired. Went to pickup my car with my 8 yr old and the service light was back on. Was told oh maybe they did not clear it. I did not trust this and refused to take the car and kept the loaner.

Next I am told it is the started - this is odd - not the car is 7 mo old and only has 6,000 miles. Either way the get a new starter and that evidently would not turn the engine. Turns out when the tech checked the engine there is a hard spot in the engine. The eDrive has been compensating (for who knows how long) but there are literally metal fragments in my oil filter. BMW is saying to replace the engine along with many other parts thanks to the oil fragments.

Needless to say this has me rather upset and at this point I am inclined to say this is too much for a 7 mo old car and not to mention the additional depreciation I now have related to this. It is never good to take a car apart as nothing ever goes back as it should. I either want my money back or a new car. We will see how that goes but for now here I sit almost at 30 days of no car. Yes I have a loaner but I am paying a loan on a car I do not have!

I share this incase anyone has any thoughts.
Call the BMWNA customer service line and tell them you want to open a case and get an Executive Level Rep. They should pass it onto someone else who will decide if you really get Exec level representation. You will tell them that you are worried this will take more than 30 days to fix and that's a legal limit in most states for lemon law. I wouldn't say the words lemon, unless you say it only to the first person you talk to. Dont - yet - threaten legal action, but I would call around looking for free evals from lemon law attorneys.

I've just gone through all this ... for months. So read the thread and see what I've gone through and what I've posted.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #92
finn123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: -

I wonder what would you guys do…
Given - bmw x5 45e MY21. Build date 10/10/2020. Came to me on 20th of December 2020.

Once I got the car, I noticed the 360 camera misaligned. It took one day to fix it. Then after 3 months of using the car, h&k amp died - bass just disappeared. It took a couple of visits to fix the issue. The first one was via sw update and the second attempt was by changing the amp. Then autumn 2021 came. The car had 12k km when the dealer found metallic powder in the gearbox oil. The gearbox was changed. That happened in December 2021. This spring 2022, I turned to the dealer again. After driving the new gearbox for about 3-4k km, I started to notice the car jerks on cold when driving from the standstill. Of course, they didn’t reproduce that and suggested to come again when it gets worse. But that wasn’t a single problem. That spring I had the following problems - driver’s seat frame loosened (it was basically going back and forth), driver’s seat ventilation died, air conditioner died, shadow line exhaust pipe’s paint peeled off, the paint of my ivory white merino leather peeled off from the driver’s side door handle, and the plastic around the airbag was cracking. Everything was fixed, but with some delays.. except the gearbox. Autumn 2022 came. The gearbox started to worsen. I could feel jerk almost every morning (the car has 30k km now.). Turned to another dealer this time. This didn’t find any errors. Opened tsara case. Bmw recommended updating oil level and updating sw. The problem disappeared for 3 days, but started to happen again. They contacted bmw for further instructions. In the mean time, I decided to do a test drive of another new X5 45e that sits on the dealer. It had 6k km… oh I better not do that. I figured out that my car can’t cope with a steep driveway - the test car would just stop and stay still right on the same place where my car would go backwards. Moreover, I noticed the ambient lighting is strange on my car. When I set the color to blue, all the door handles stay green (the test car didn’t have this problem). The last thing was the steering wheel. When I drove the test car, I immediately noticed that maneuvering on a parking lot doesn’t make the steering wheel make “wooooo” sound, which my car is making. Of course, I told the dealer about all of that… just 30k km and so many problems. Im so upset as it’s a 120k euros build. And these are the money I paid for a really raw car.

And I’m not talking about this stupid door seal on the driver’s side. It occasionally starts to produce noise on bumps unless I use gummifledge. Never had this problem with my previous 7 series. I just didn’t have to do anything!

I’m really frustrated.. how will it work when the warranty ends? My factory one ends this December. I already bought extension for that… it feels like when the car hits 100k km, it will just break apart.

Last edited by finn123; 10-28-2022 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #93
cellarrat
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

My issue does not sound precisely like the OP (no drivetrain malfunction warnings), but similar enough to add to this thread:

Driving at ~70 mph with active cruise on, the car feels as though the cruise had disengaged and I began slowly, evenly bleeding speed. I hit "resume" and got a message that "active cruise (or whatever) cannot be engaged at this time."

Pressing the accelerator did nothing; like the care was in neutral (with no revs -- I was in battery control mode).

Did not think I would have the time/remaining power to move from the right lane (NO shoulder) to the left (shoulder available). And indeed, I think had I tried I would have died straddling two active lanes.

Came to a complete stop on a bridge of all places. Traffic whizzing by. Freaked me out plenty until state trooper arrived and put on his bubble top so that drivers coming up behind me at speed could see to get out of the lane. Tow on flatbed back to the dealer was uneventful

Just came back from the dealer. No loaner available. Said it might be a couple of hours or work in the am, and if not, he'd "endeavor to get" me a loaner.

Still prettty freaked out about the experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #94
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarrat View Post
Pressing the accelerator did nothing; like the care was in neutral (with no revs -- I was in battery control mode)..
Kinda sounds like the feel of what happens when Speed Limit mode is engaged (part of DAPP). Do you have DAPP? Makes me wonder if it was a malfunction related to that.

Did you floor the pedal past the lockdown detent?
      11-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #95
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Quote:
My issue does not sound precisely like the OP (no drivetrain malfunction warnings), but similar enough to add to this thread:

Driving at ~70 mph with active cruise on, the car feels as though the cruise had disengaged and I began slowly, evenly bleeding speed. I hit "resume" and got a message that "active cruise (or whatever) cannot be engaged at this time."

Pressing the accelerator did nothing; like the care was in neutral (with no revs -- I was in battery control mode).

Did not think I would have the time/remaining power to move from the right lane (NO shoulder) to the left (shoulder available). And indeed, I think had I tried I would have died straddling two active lanes.

Came to a complete stop on a bridge of all places. Traffic whizzing by. Freaked me out plenty until state trooper arrived and put on his bubble top so that drivers coming up behind me at speed could see to get out of the lane. Tow on flatbed back to the dealer was uneventful

Just came back from the dealer. No loaner available. Said it might be a couple of hours or work in the am, and if not, he'd "endeavor to get" me a loaner.

Still prettty freaked out about the experience.
Wow, that’s unfortunate. Good thing your car didn’t get hit and no one got hurt. Was there any error message on the screen? Did you try to restart or just waited for the tow truck?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:17 PM   #96
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shllshck View Post
Wow, that’s unfortunate. Good thing your car didn’t get hit and no one got hurt. Was there any error message on the screen? Did you try to restart or just waited for the tow truck?
It continued to "run," but without any power. Was able to put it in neutral. And no error messages at all
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 01:49 PM   #97
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Worst possible outcome (so far) today. Vehicle now reportedly operating fine at the shop. No fault codes found. Nothing amiss.

So now WTF do I do? I suggested the shop talk to BMW USA to see of there were other similar reports. I can't say I will be entirely at ease getting back in a vehicle that (a) behaved this way and (b) has not been fixed. Intermittent problems are hell
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 09:49 PM   #98
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Worst possible outcome (so far) today. Vehicle now reportedly operating fine at the shop. No fault codes found. Nothing amiss.

So now WTF do I do? I suggested the shop talk to BMW USA to see of there were other similar reports. I can't say I will be entirely at ease getting back in a vehicle that (a) behaved this way and (b) has not been fixed. Intermittent problems are hell
yes.. call BMWNA ... at least they can look over the situation. Especially if you are nervous about a car. That's a valid safety concern. It's important they know. They need to document it. maybe your fault can save another driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 06:17 PM   #99
jalanjohn
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Total electric loss on 2021 45e

Last Friday, I lost all power on my 45e after several flashing warnings and strange noises. Left with absolutely no electric power. No lights, no radio, no door locks, nothing. Still waiting on BMW Roadside Assist to tow car to dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 09:45 PM   #100
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanjohn View Post
Last Friday, I lost all power on my 45e after several flashing warnings and strange noises. Left with absolutely no electric power. No lights, no radio, no door locks, nothing. Still waiting on BMW Roadside Assist to tow car to dealer.
What year, how many miles, and do you ever charge the 12v system with a battery tender or similar?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 08:09 AM   #101
oldguy00
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by leightos View Post
.... I am going to order a new 45e tomorrow. $2000 refundable deposit for the order. It takes almost 3 months to get a new 45e.....
Just reading all of this thread......jeez, I'm surprised you are ordering another. I know a lot of people like them, but after all you've been through with this model, and other people experiencing the same thing.....is the PHEV really saving you -that- much money? And aren't the rebates drying up now? I figured you'd just go with a x40i, or if you want more fun, a M50i...
Regardless, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 11:15 AM   #102
jalanjohn
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

2021 BMW X5 45e. 13000 miles. Never have needed to charge 12v battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 01:17 PM   #103
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanjohn View Post
2021 BMW X5 45e. 13000 miles. Never have needed to charge 12v battery.
The reason I asked is that I’m wondering if your issue was related to an issue with your 12v battery. I’m a new 45e owner with less than 100 miles and have already put the car on a 12v charger. It took 8hrs to PPF the vehicle and I know the doors are open a lot during the process. (Yes….probably totally unnecessary but I want to avoid any issues and make sure the battery is solid for as long as possible)

Please report back what your dealer diagnosis is.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 03:07 AM   #104
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Just reading all of this thread......jeez, I'm surprised you are ordering another. I know a lot of people like them, but after all you've been through with this model, and other people experiencing the same thing.....is the PHEV really saving you -that- much money? And aren't the rebates drying up now? I figured you'd just go with a x40i, or if you want more fun, a M50i...
Regardless, good luck!
Yes... so when I was in the rental for 4 months waiting on my car- I figured I was saving about 2 fill ups per month, maybe more. So $120+/mo?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 03:11 AM   #105
leightos
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
The reason I asked is that I’m wondering if your issue was related to an issue with your 12v battery. I’m a new 45e owner with less than 100 miles and have already put the car on a 12v charger. It took 8hrs to PPF the vehicle and I know the doors are open a lot during the process. (Yes….probably totally unnecessary but I want to avoid any issues and make sure the battery is solid for as long as possible)

Please report back what your dealer diagnosis is.
My drive train malfunction was caused by the hi voltage battery modules while damaged the harness as well it seems. Got my new one today. So I got some serious good incentives to buy - along with the fact the new hybrid came in in 75 days. Try that with any other hybrid on the market.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Brigitte484.50
nZtiZia4652.00
      12-15-2022, 05:44 AM   #106
Brigitte
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 Mazda CX-9

Quote:
My drive train malfunction was caused by the hi voltage battery modules while damaged the harness as well it seems. Got my new one today. So I got some serious good incentives to buy - along with the fact the new hybrid came in in 75 days. Try that with any other hybrid on the market.
Congrats...good looking car! Good luck...enjoy it and drive safely!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #107
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 08:49 AM   #108
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
hoping this one is headache-free for ya
Happy Holidays!
Appreciate 1
leightos188.50
      01-29-2023, 03:04 PM   #109
cellarrat
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Still pretty freaked out about the experience.
Just updating things w/r/t this issue. BMW had my car for about a week, the pros from NJ got involved, they said No Trouble Found so I took the car home.

About 2 weeks ago, it happened again, this time going about 2-3 mph coming out of a parking lot. Not the same drama as 70 mph on I-95, but still.

Car goes to BMW again in the morning. Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:30 AM   #110
MCouper
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Garage List
I feel your pain. I had this happen to me with my old F10 535. I would see really weird behavior where if I was driving on the highway for a bit and then got off into stop and go city driving, then it would occasionally get a Drivetrain malfunction error. I found a forum at the time with other folks who experienced similar issues in other models (x6, etc). Unfortunately, everyone had to take it to their dealerships multiple times because they could never reliably replicate the issue and the technicians could never seem to find anything wrong while the cars were there. Some people (like me) eventually gave up and got rid of the car because it just wasn't safe to drive and others spent months going back and forth to the dealership and waiting for their cars to get fixed (typical fix was replacing the transmission). Even those who did get it fixed lost confidence in the car and replaced them.
Appreciate 0