Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550iX, '91 E30

Lightbulb Lifted G05 w/ AT tires

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

Wanted to share my G05 with everyone in case anyone decides to go the same route and has any questions. When I was looking for a new vehicle I was looking for something with the latest tech package that I could still get decent utilitarian use out of (mostly higher tow rating), and I decided to try to make the G05 work for that.

I realize this goes against what most people buy these cars for, but I know there are other crazy people out there like me.

Quick overview on the factory build is:
2020 MY, built in July 2020
M Sport, Phytonic Blue, Coffee Extended Marino, Executive, DA Pro, Luxury Seating, Acoustic, Bowers+Wilkins, Hitch, Extended Shadowline, Leather Dash, Glass Controls, 2 Axle Air, Anthracite Alcantara Headliner

I left the car alone for about a year from factory, then decided to make some changes to make it a bit more utilitarian. First I wanted to ditch the 21s and get some more meaty tires on there since I pretty commonly drive through some crappy conditions. Since I skipped the m-sport brakes I knew I could downsize in wheel diameter pretty easily, but instead of taking in depth measurements out of impatience I just went with a safe diameter of 19" and ordered a set of wheels right away. I wound up with Rotiform ZMO-M wheels (19x8.5) with Falken Wildpeak A/T tires (255/60).

Next I wanted to get a bit more height out of the car so I got a set of the adjustable air lowering links but used them to raise the car. I settled on a 1.5" lift in normal driving height which moves up to 2.5" when you select the max height.

Here's some pictures of the heights:

Regular driving height (+1.5" from stock)

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Full height (+2.5" from stock)

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

I just got the car aligned today and luckily it all came out in the green. Sorry on the poor quality, the shop didn't print out the sheet for me and only attached these photos.

Before:
View post on imgur.com

After:
View post on imgur.com

On the subject of wheel sizing, I realized after trying on some wheels from a friend that I could have fit much smaller wheels than 19s. I will probably try to go down to 17s in the future. Here is an example of my car with 17s that a friend was running on his ML55:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Overall, I have gotten so much use out of this car in the 30k miles I've had it and have been very happy with its capabilities so far. Here's some bonus pictures of it getting some towing use. I've probably towed 30ish times so far and am very happy with it even not being body on frame.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

2013 F10 550iX Carbon Black/MSport
BMW Fault Code DB
Appreciate 4
      02-27-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
PNWM50I
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' x5 M50i

Thanks for sharing. I like the rotiform design and finish!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:22 PM   #3
TexasBimmer89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

1.5" height looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 05:34 PM   #4
Wittyshins
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xdrive40i M sport

Hey! just starting this exact same journey with a 2019 G05 X5.
Do you have a link to what adjustable air lowering links you used?

Also, what did you run into putting much smaller tires on? When I pull the front wheels and measure I can't imagine something smaller than 20" fitting around the tension strut. Nervous to drop a ton on wheel/tire combo and be off with the offset or spacing.

Your rig looks awesome, cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 08:43 PM   #5
beattiecj
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

Love it, thanks for sharing. Nice e30, and trailer.
Appreciate 0