BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-24-2023, 08:40 AM   #1
TexanDiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Can I leave my CTEK charger to charge my car whilst coding with BimmerCode?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I’d like to do some coding today but I’d like to leave my CTEK trickle charging my car. Is that safe/okay to do?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:12 AM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
why? it’s not like coding drains the battery significantly. I wouldn’t recommend it, because during the process, the vehicle reboots. personally, I like to avoid as many external factors that could possibly interfere.
- turn on airplane mode
- turn off CarPlay
- turn off either wifi or bluetooth depending which OBDII adapter I use
- disable auto-joining of wifi networks
- turn off AUTO lights
- turn off HVAC
- mute radio
- I have a 45e so I don’t plug in the charging cable

but I’m no expert…
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:25 AM   #3
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDiesel View Post
I’d like to do some coding today but I’d like to leave my CTEK trickle charging my car. Is that safe/okay to do?
I leave mine (Noco) on. Sometimes I'll deliberately connect it while coding if I haven't driven it for a while. I've actually had a "battery critically low" message come up depending on how long I'm messing with the car when not using the charger. It could probably be avoided if you make an effort to shut off a bunch of stuff like headlights, radio, etc. It's not going to hurt anything by having it attached. There's no communication with the vehicle like CAN or anything that would disrupt the coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #4
TexanDiesel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
why? it’s not like coding drains the battery significantly. I wouldn’t recommend it, because during the process, the vehicle reboots. personally, I like to avoid as many external factors that could possibly interfere.
- turn on airplane mode
- turn off CarPlay
- turn off either wifi or bluetooth depending which OBDII adapter I use
- disable auto-joining of wifi networks
- turn off AUTO lights
- turn off HVAC
- mute radio
- I have a 45e so I don’t plug in the charging cable

but I’m no expert…
Well I barely drive it and the battery drains so I keep it plugged in. I was planning on plugging it in and then coding while it’s charging so the battery doesn’t die while coding. It’s been especially cold here the past few days so the battery will be even more drained at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:56 AM   #5
chefwong
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Coding as in Bimmercode esque coding or full on coding...
If it's the latter, you would probably have a PSU on hand already I suppose

Why not just trickle charge to full - disconnect and then code. Are you using BT adapter or wired. Wired is obviously much faster - OBD-Enet.

Best practice if you're going to leave a power source on, is the typical PSU units that is providing clean 13.6 voltage. It's not worth the risk to me if one doesn't have those types of PSU.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 10:03 AM   #6
TexanDiesel
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

Why not just trickle charge to full - disconnect and then code. Are you using BT adapter or wired. Wired is obviously much faster - OBD-Enet.

Best practice if you're going to leave a power source on, is the typical PSU units that is providing clean 13.6 voltage. It's not worth the risk to me if one doesn't have those types of PSU.
Bimmercode coding. Just to unlock some features. I’ll likely just charge to full and then code once it’s done.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 10:13 AM   #7
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

I'm guessing by "full on coding" you are referring to programming (firmware updates). If that's the case, a person should never program w/o a sufficient power supply which is 50A minimum. For basic coding (configuration changes), starting with a full battery after charge or leaving a trickle connected should be fine either way. Agree here ... just wanted to clarify terminology.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 02:53 PM   #8
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDiesel View Post
Yes, for years I kept a CTEK connected during coding, never a problem.

CTEKs have quite a "clean" 12vDC output.
In a rural area avoid coding during a nearby thunderstorm — in any case, coding or just charging, I always plug in my CTEK through a good surge protector, it's cheap insurance.
Appreciate 0