BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-08-2022, 03:53 PM   #23
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

So it's a home depot and Xmas tree hauling truck not a truck, truck.

Truck.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      08-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #24
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Truck.
Pretty sure that's what most of the F150s I see on the road are for. Honestly, although the only reason I bought a truck was to haul our RV around. After owning our first F150 I'm sold on having one instead of an SUV. It's extremely roomy inside and has most luxury features of any luxury car, but when you do need to make that home depot run or just need to move some furniture or what not it can do that also.

It also probably depends on where you live. Like in FL in the suburbs I don't have much use for the truck part of the truck, however in NC (where I keep the truck) I use it all the time!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:00 PM   #25
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Truck.
Correct. It can handle a lot more than that, but most people won't go there with it. In that sense it is no different than the F150.

It is a very capable towing vehicle, but range drops to 100 miles. That's a non-starter for most unless you like a very slow pace to your travel.

It IS more capable off-road than most, if not all truck trucks. A lot of Jeep or Land Rover buyers will end up switching to a Rivian, I would imagine - especially when they get more of the remote charging locations rolled out.

As an aside, I am shocked at the number of farmers, miners and heavy construction workers on Bimmerpost.
2011 X5 35i BSM/Black - Retired
2011 335i Coupe Alpine White/Saddle - Retired (ED)

Last edited by The J-Man; 08-08-2022 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
KJ10474.00
sspade2460.00
      08-08-2022, 04:06 PM   #26
The J-Man
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Pretty sure that's what most of the F150s I see on the road are for. Honestly, although the only reason I bought a truck was to haul our RV around. After owning our first F150 I'm sold on having one instead of an SUV.
Yep - only reasons to own an SUV over a truck are 3rd row seating and handling characteristics. The Rivian is the first truck that drives like a German SUV and I don't need a third row, so that's what sold me on it. It is far more versatile than a 2-row SUV.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #27
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Do you have more exterior and interior photos? Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 04:24 PM   #28
The J-Man
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Do you have more exterior and interior photos? Congratulations!
I'm getting PPF and ceramic this week. I'll post some more pictures afterwards.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352338.50
      08-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #29
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Pretty sure that's what most of the F150s I see on the road are for.
100% agree yeah.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #30
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I think people are missing the point of the R1T. It is not meant to be a work truck. It is not meant to tow. Most R1T buyers have never owned a truck.

The interior room is as good as my X5. The cargo capacity is as good or better than my X5 with the added versatility of a truck bed, and the R1T accommodates a full-size spare. I can't easily throw my bike into the hatch of my X5. I don't want to throw dirt or leaves into the hatch of my X5, but that doesn't matter with the truck. The vast majority of trucks sold in the USA are bought in suburbia and used for light household work, if that. I do a lot of home improvement projects and I'm always borrowing a truck. Now I don't have to do that anymore.

There are a lot of benefits to the R1T versus an SUV with really no downsides. That's why people are buying them.
Which goes back to my point that it's a lifestyle choice, like most trucks are. Loaded F-150s and GMCs are the new the BMWs for people.

The "I've made it" middle class statement with a vehicle.

A $70k truck that can't really do anything a 1993 Ranger can't do?

Don't take me wrong, I have no problem with people buying what they want. But vehicles like this are BS and it's a bunch of 1%s patting themselves on the back thinking buying an electric truck is helping the world.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      08-08-2022, 06:23 PM   #31
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Which goes back to my point that it's a lifestyle choice, like most trucks are. Loaded F-150s and GMCs are the new the BMWs for people.

Don't take me wrong, I have no problem with people buying what they want. But vehicles like this are BS and it's a bunch of 1%s patting themselves on the back thinking buying an electric truck is helping the world.
You're on a BMW forum... why didn't you get a corolla? It can do everything a BMW does for a fraction of the price.

I also don't understand the whole you "bought an EV so you much be a greenie who wants to save the world" association.

I have an EV and honestly, I don't give a shit about the planet, as Carlin said the planet will be fine, it's the people who are fucked.

I have an EV because I like it. I think it's a good car. As a commuter I think it's superior to an ICE vehicle. I didn't know how much I disliked going to the gas station until I didn't have to go anymore. It's comfortable, it's fast as fuck and I like all the tech. I prefer it to other cars I could get in the same price range. I didn't buy it because of the "green" label.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25051.00
RM72870.00
      08-08-2022, 10:09 PM   #32
The J-Man
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I also don't understand the whole you "bought an EV so you much be a greenie who wants to save the world" association.

I have an EV and honestly, I don't give a shit about the planet, as Carlin said the planet will be fine, it's the people who are fucked.
Bingo - I also don't give a shit about the planet and I've owned two EVs. If anything, EVs very well might be MORE harmful to the planet with the toxicity of the batteries. The R1T is the least efficient EV ever concevied (until the Hummer), and my other car is a V8 X5. It takes a very narrow middle America mindset to think that EV buyers are somehow radical leftist climate change losers.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2022, 11:52 AM   #33
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You're on a BMW forum... why didn't you get a corolla? It can do everything a BMW does for a fraction of the price.

I have an EV because I like it. I think it's a good car. As a commuter I think it's superior to an ICE vehicle. I didn't know how much I disliked going to the gas station until I didn't have to go anymore. It's comfortable, it's fast as fuck and I like all the tech. I prefer it to other cars I could get in the same price range. I didn't buy it because of the "green" label.
You are probably the only person on this planet to own both a Tesla and a fucking F-350. So I believe everything you wrote.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2022, 06:06 PM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Pretty sure that's what most of the F150s I see on the road are for. Honestly, although the only reason I bought a truck was to haul our RV around. After owning our first F150 I'm sold on having one instead of an SUV. It's extremely roomy inside and has most luxury features of any luxury car, but when you do need to make that home depot run or just need to move some furniture or what not it can do that also.

It also probably depends on where you live. Like in FL in the suburbs I don't have much use for the truck part of the truck, however in NC (where I keep the truck) I use it all the time!
Out of a 42-year driving career I've had a pickup truck other than 7 years. Once you own a pickup you always will need one in your fleet. It's not a status symbol any more than a Roundel is on the hood of a BMW. Unless you've actully owned a pickup you think "oh I can just rent one when I want". Nah, the person who says that doesn't get it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2022, 08:28 PM   #35
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
...Unless you've actully owned a pickup you think "oh I can just rent one when I want". Nah, the person who says that doesn't get it.
Can't agree more. I bought a cheap pick-up to do some work with the intention of selling it after I'm done... long story short, now I'm shopping for a luxury pick-up like RAM Limited/F150 Platinum. Before owning a pick-up I thought people who buy luxury pick-ups are morons, look at me now...
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
3798j11170.00
      08-09-2022, 08:51 PM   #36
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

I really love the interior on the refreshed Sierra Denali and Silverado High Country. Shows that GM can actually produce beautiful and modern interiors. Sadly is the pricing on those trucks pretty eye-watering.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      08-10-2022, 07:41 AM   #37
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
It IS more capable off-road than most, if not all truck trucks. A lot of Jeep or Land Rover buyers will end up switching to a Rivian, I would imagine - especially when they get more of the remote charging locations rolled out.
I'm curious what makes you say this? I do think it could be great for folks who's idea of off-road is taking that 5 miles of minimum maintenance road to a state park campsite, or a short mild trail trip, but in the true "off-road adventure" sense as they are marketing it I doubt you'll see many people use EV.

As someone who is off-road quite a bit with trail driving and overlanding I have to disagree with it being better and more capable. Yes, the R1T has some features that may be great for off-road driving like the multiple modes, 4 motor drive system and adjustable height which will likely make performance off-road good, but when you're off-road, especially for longer periods of time, things break. ICE and traditional drivetrains are "easy" to fix on the trail. The R1T is likely not going to be easy to fix on the trail, if you can fix it at all on the trail. The weight of the R1T is going to mean more stress on components and higher likelyhood that you're going to snap drivetrain and suspension components. More weight means higher chance of getting stuck, and if you're stuck or hung up on something thats a lot of weight to pull out.

Another thing is fuel. Bringing extra fuel is a important piece to anyone who is off the pavement a lot. You use more fuel when off highway, and it will be the same with EV. Sometimes finding a fuel station close to trails is hard enough, let alone charging stations. There aren't going to be chargers set up on the trails, and solar tech is at it's peak and can not provide enough charge for EV without having massive panels (larger than the vehicle).

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 07:58 AM   #38
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
I'm curious what makes you say this? I do think it could be great for folks who's idea of off-road is taking that 5 miles of minimum maintenance road to a state park campsite, or a short mild trail trip, but in the true "off-road adventure" sense as they are marketing it I doubt you'll see many people use EV.

As someone who is off-road quite a bit with trail driving and overlanding I have to disagree with it being better and more capable. Yes, the R1T has some features that may be great for off-road driving like the multiple modes, 4 motor drive system and adjustable height which will likely make performance off-road good, but when you're off-road, especially for longer periods of time, things break. ICE and traditional drivetrains are "easy" to fix on the trail. The R1T is likely not going to be easy to fix on the trail, if you can fix it at all on the trail. The weight of the R1T is going to mean more stress on components and higher likelyhood that you're going to snap drivetrain and suspension components. More weight means higher chance of getting stuck, and if you're stuck or hung up on something thats a lot of weight to pull out.

Another thing is fuel. Bringing extra fuel is a important piece to anyone who is off the pavement a lot. You use more fuel when off highway, and it will be the same with EV. Sometimes finding a fuel station close to trails is hard enough, let alone charging stations. There aren't going to be chargers set up on the trails, and solar tech is at it's peak and can not provide enough charge for EV without having massive panels (larger than the vehicle).
Probably this.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #39
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Probably this.
I had a feeling the Motortrend stuff would come up. I read the writeup on their whole TransAmerica Trail trip. While the trucks made it, and they said they did well, it's easy to make something look good when you have a full technical support network behind you, and easy to have few issues when the vehicle is brand new. I will take things into consideration that I read in reviews like these, but I'm going to pay more attention to what the average Joe has to say about things vs a fully funded and supported group thats not allowed to really report anything too negative. They did say a few things in the writeup about charging issues, low ground clearance causing them to bang the battery, broken suspension, etc.

I'm not denying the R1T is off-road capable. The quad motor system would be awesome for traction and electric means torque right away that can be controlled, but I'm more concerned about reliability and ease of repairs. What happens when a motor goes out 50+ miles back in the woods and you don't have Motortrend and Rivian backing you with immediate parts and tools free of cost.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #40
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I think bottom line, this truck can do a lot of things very well. That's its appeal. It's not a rock crawler, but it can climb rocks. It's not a commuter, but it can go over 300 miles on a single charge. It's not a race car, but it can do 0-60 in 3 seconds while weighing over 7k pounds.

It is just downright impressive. I don't think anyone is being fooled that it's an overlanding vehicle to get lost in the desert with or whatever scenario. Dedicated vehicles will always do dedicated things better. It's a fantastic all-rounder for 99% of what people will do.
Appreciate 2
///d1807.00
Bingham276.00
      08-10-2022, 09:19 AM   #41
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I think bottom line, this truck can do a lot of things very well. That's its appeal. It's not a rock crawler, but it can climb rocks. It's not a commuter, but it can go over 300 miles on a single charge. It's not a race car, but it can do 0-60 in 3 seconds while weighing over 7k pounds.

It is just downright impressive. I don't think anyone is being fooled that it's an overlanding vehicle to get lost in the desert with or whatever scenario. Dedicated vehicles will always do dedicated things better. It's a fantastic all-rounder for 99% of what people will do.
Here is a video of a Crown Vic at Hell's Revenge in Utah. A 4wd truck doing off-road things isn't that impressive.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:28 AM   #42
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Here is a video of a Crown Vic
That's not the same slope and you know that's a red herring.

Can your F-350 do what the Rivian did in Moab? To many people, off-road capability is what makes a truck a truck.
      08-10-2022, 09:31 AM   #43
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:

ive got news for you if you think a $70k truck is a loaded status symbol. A $70k truck is about a middle of the road F150. I know, I just bought one as my work truck. A fully loaded and optioned out f150 is about 90k

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2022, 09:32 AM   #44
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a video of a Crown Vic at Hell's Revenge in Utah. A 4wd truck doing off-road things isn't that impressive.

But can Willie Nelson do 0-60 in 3 seconds in his cop car?
Appreciate 0