BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-31-2023, 12:30 PM   #1
Vak331
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 BMW X3 M40i, 21 BMW X7 40i

2024 BMW X5 M60i Jerking

I picked up my 2024 BMW X5 M60i on Sept 25. Since new the car would very so slightly jerk when accelerating slowly in lower gears. This happens often in dense city traffic.

I have also felt the car slightly hesitate several times and then push forward with a little more power when leaving a parking spot and entering a parking lane (90°) especially in a parking garage with incline.

Right before going on a 300 mi trip (total), I had the windows down and heard a faint constant clicking noise as the car moved for a few days. I rarely drive with the windows completely down and that is why I noticed it - could not be heard inside the cabin. I checked all tires to be sure there were no nails or larger rocks stuck on the wheels - there was nothing. Interestingly, the noise, I believe, is now gone since the trip although it has been really cold here so the windows are up.

The worst has been today where I felt a very harsh jerk (first time this harsh) while clearing an intersection at a sharp 90 (went forward more than usual and had to turn the steering wheel quite a bit to the left).

There's nothing as bothersome in a new car than knowing you're expecting a jerk next time you accelerate from a stop, traffic light, or stop and go traffic. Sometimes it does not happen until the fourth for fifth light/stop. I loved my X3 M40i and never had a problem whether softly or harshly accelerating. In fact, I never had to think about it and loved leaving Audi behind because of it - just the way their transmissions handled. No issues with my X7 40i either. These BMWs have really made me love the brand.

It happens on and off and is not constant but will happen each time I drive it to varying extends of jerkiness. Sometimes it's less pronounced while other times it happens dozens of times during a ride.

Could this be symptoms of the dreaded transfer case problem?

How should I handle this with the dealer? The last thing I want is for them to claim they could "not reproduce" the problem and have to go back to driving the car the way it is. I do not think this is normal. Any suggestions to have the dealer more easily identify the problem?

I have an appointment with a loaner this Saturday.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:04 PM   #2
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Transfer case?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2023, 01:34 PM   #3
Vak331
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 BMW X3 M40i, 21 BMW X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin1249 View Post
Transfer case?
That's my concern. Vehicle has less than 1800 miles. It has been happening since pick up and I feel it's getting worse.

For those with transfer case issues, how did you go about tackling it with the dealer? I do not want them to 'ignore' symptoms based on mileage if it is that. Drive it around the block and say everything is fine.

Any recommended procedures to test for symptoms of transfer case problems?
Appreciate 0