07-25-2023, 02:12 PM   #133
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinsc View Post
Just had it happen on my one-month old '24.
Oof, and I thought they fixed it finally in the facelift. Awkward...
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 09:28 PM   #134
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 528i (sold); F44 M235 GC (

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekay View Post
Oof, and I thought they fixed it finally in the facelift. Awkward...
Second week into my new G06 and had it pop up the morning I was driving to the performance center for the new owners track drive. Service appointment scheduled, but after the reboot it went away and has been good. Really don’t want to spend another afternoon at the dealer, and curious on how long it will hold as I’ve got more road trips planned soon. Silly to have to resort to phone navigation when your brand new car nav shows you driving thru the airport runway..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2023, 10:10 PM   #135
mikekay
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyinhand View Post
Second week into my new G06 and had it pop up the morning I was driving to the performance center for the new owners track drive. Service appointment scheduled, but after the reboot it went away and has been good. Really don’t want to spend another afternoon at the dealer, and curious on how long it will hold as I’ve got more road trips planned soon. Silly to have to resort to phone navigation when your brand new car nav shows you driving thru the airport runway..
Yea man super lame, hope it works out for ya, ask them ask them what they are gonna do. While they are in there and ask if it was a tcb, or battery and make sure you ask to have both done... I wonder if its the same water ingress at fin. Dont know if I mentioned it but mine went for round 2, my fin was reglued and new one sent. It seems to be a pretty big thing that I think shouldnt even happen at all, its the conplexity of integration that makes the car suddenly a little frustrating because alot of things are disabled :/
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #136
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekay View Post
Yea man super lame, hope it works out for ya, ask them ask them what they are gonna do. While they are in there and ask if it was a tcb, or battery and make sure you ask to have both done... I wonder if its the same water ingress at fin. Dont know if I mentioned it but mine went for round 2, my fin was reglued and new one sent. It seems to be a pretty big thing that I think shouldnt even happen at all, its the conplexity of integration that makes the car suddenly a little frustrating because alot of things are disabled :/
Still have not taken it back in as it has not faulted - surprised but in a good way. That initial reset seems to have worked. The drive back from Greenville meant the front end met a whole bunch of bugs, so did the first car wash as well - still no faults as now the car has been washed.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 06:24 PM   #137
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

UPDATE: Fault came back twice in 2 weeks, but would reset after the next time I drove. Decided to take it in to the dealer and they performed a software update that looks like it fixed the issue!

Just have to learn/get used to the new Home Screen as the update changes the look/font/climate control display (among other changes) in iDrive. It’s definitely a sit in a parking lot level change as I had just got comfortable with the as delivered configs!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 11:21 PM   #138
blinsc
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

I've had it happen about 4 or 5 times since I picked up the car in May. For me, it's just been a mild inconvenience as the error has never persisted for more than a couple minutes at a time, and everything else kept working (music, navigation, etc.).

The most annoying thing about it is when the error message is displayed, the < and > buttons on the steering don't work to change the music station/track, and there doesn't seem to be a way to just hide that message. As soon as the error clears, the buttons start working again.

It hasn't been enough of a problem for me to dedicate a trip to the dealer (yet) but if it starts happening more regularly, I'll take it in.
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2023, 02:17 AM   #139
swiego29382
Private
Rep
Drives: LCI BMW X5 M Competition

New owner of a 24 X5M - this message popped up for me yesterday during the drive to work. It was an annoyance because it would not disappear for the entire trip. I ignored it, proceeded to work, parked and shut off the car, came back a few hours later and the message was gone on engine start.
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2023, 06:25 PM   #140
Keyinhand
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep

That software update at the dealer also seemed to have prevented my iPhone from connecting via CarPlay - it will still pair with Bluetooth, but CarPlay hasn’t worked right since the update. I’m finding I also liked the old screen layout better as well as I think it did a better job in showcasing the screen real estate, but maybe once this connection issue gets resolved I won’t be lingering on it as much (Car play allows for text messages to be read and respond to while driving as I can talk a response…can’t get that to work now!)

But the emergency call function isn’t gone so I don’t worry about the nav going stupid on me again
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 06:14 PM   #141
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinsc View Post
Just had it happen on my one-month old '24.
Same here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2047720

What was the resolution?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 06:17 PM   #142
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiego29382 View Post
New owner of a 24 X5M - this message popped up for me yesterday during the drive to work. It was an annoyance because it would not disappear for the entire trip. I ignored it, proceeded to work, parked and shut off the car, came back a few hours later and the message was gone on engine start.
Same here, on a brand new 50e. Did the message ever come back for you? I'm only in day three of ownership, so I'm trying to see what I might be in for.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 11:57 PM   #143
blinsc
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
Same here: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2047720

What was the resolution?
I replied to your other thread - will follow up when the dealership gets back to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 08:29 PM   #144
vein89
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 540i

ahhhhhhhh

I've had this happen with my 2019 x5 g05 40i. Purchased used 2019 model just last year and this msg used to pop up before and it has been permanent for the last almost 4 months. The warranty is over and I took it to the local shop, changed it with new battery and they said it now works! (Thank god....)

However, when I went to a shop to pick up the car, the msg pops up again lol and they asked to do diagnose again checking with wiring and eventually change the module fully.

It's surprising that many people mention the same issue in different countries (I'm in Toronto but also found many same issues in S.Korea as well) and the issue stems from water leakage to shark fin... Not sure why BMW not acknowledging this issue as their fault and they should do a recall on this.

I'd really love to have all people who's still experiencing the same issue and escalate the issue through the Consumer protection Board to BMW.

Please leave a comment if anyone who's having the same issue!.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2023, 02:02 PM   #145
vein89
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 540i

UPDATE!

Hi guys! Just wanted to give an update on mine.

I've taken my car to a different store and they've noticed corrosion on the battery and panel that has some blue marks.

They've called the BMW dealership I assume it's a technician from Toronto and he has told the guy that they say it's very common and noticed lots of people having the same issue that the dealership has several modules in stock. I've paid $960 + HST (Ontario Canada Tax) and waiting for the part now.

The technician from BMW also has said that if there's no water corrosion on the shark's fin antenna they could just use it so for now I've only ordered the module. Really hope this concludes my repair journey.....

Also for your information the first shop that I visited they've charged me 3 hours of labor ($360 + HST) whereas the second shop was able to reach the module and check the battery in just 15 mins.. so I've made a complaint why they quoted me 3 hours of labor and the manager says he doesn't know . They are reimbursing me 2.5 Hours of labor and just lost trust on them.

If you ever take it to any local shop, please be aware this isn't a job that will take a lot of time and try to find a trustworthy shop that will do the job at reasonable labor cost.

I will keep you guys updated after the module arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vein89 View Post
I've had this happen with my 2019 x5 g05 40i. Purchased used 2019 model just last year and this msg used to pop up before and it has been permanent for the last almost 4 months. The warranty is over and I took it to the local shop, changed it with new battery and they said it now works! (Thank god....)

However, when I went to a shop to pick up the car, the msg pops up again lol and they asked to do diagnose again checking with wiring and eventually change the module fully.

It's surprising that many people mention the same issue in different countries (I'm in Toronto but also found many same issues in S.Korea as well) and the issue stems from water leakage to shark fin... Not sure why BMW not acknowledging this issue as their fault and they should do a recall on this.

I'd really love to have all people who's still experiencing the same issue and escalate the issue through the Consumer protection Board to BMW.

Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 04:59 PM   #146
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 zcp, G05 x40i

It happened

About 3 weeks ago I got the dreaded Emergency call system malfunction.

Everything worked fine at first, then slowly had problems and then the Navigation went crazy.

Purchased a battery, when I got to the TCB unit noticed there was a black mark on the positive area of the connectors and the battery had some corrosion. Opened the TCB unit and there was a black mark where the unit got fried. I'm assuming this is due to water leaking through the fin but I'm not 100% sure that was the cause as I didn't see much indications of water.

Is there a good way to test the shark fin to see if it's leaking?

Also it's super easy to get to this unit, don't even need to take the weather stripping off, just take the two plastic D pillars off and bring down the headliner and there's enough room to get the module out.

Have ordered the TCB but do I need to replace the shark fin and antenna? I saw on another post that it was recommended to put some silicone around the fin to create a seal.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 07:33 AM   #147
HermesNYC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05) 2019

Faulty Shark Fin factory installation.

My 2019 warrenty just expired end of Sept. Go an emergency cell system malfunction prompt plus my navigation was also messed up.
Fast forward. The technican after a thorough evaluation determined it was a faulty installation from the manufacturer.
They wanted to charge me $3900 for the repair.
We should all start a class action.
This should be covered by BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 12:21 AM   #148
alexvram
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5

vein89

I would love to sign and add my name in an email to BMW to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 09:34 PM   #149
calvinlyj
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2

Quote:
Hi guys! Just wanted to give an update on mine.

I've taken my car to a different store and they've noticed corrosion on the battery and panel that has some blue marks.

They've called the BMW dealership I assume it's a technician from Toronto and he has told the guy that they say it's very common and noticed lots of people having the same issue that the dealership has several modules in stock. I've paid $960 + HST (Ontario Canada Tax) and waiting for the part now.

The technician from BMW also has said that if there's no water corrosion on the shark's fin antenna they could just use it so for now I've only ordered the module. Really hope this concludes my repair journey.....

Also for your information the first shop that I visited they've charged me 3 hours of labor ($360 + HST) whereas the second shop was able to reach the module and check the battery in just 15 mins.. so I've made a complaint why they quoted me 3 hours of labor and the manager says he doesn't know . They are reimbursing me 2.5 Hours of labor and just lost trust on them.

If you ever take it to any local shop, please be aware this isn't a job that will take a lot of time and try to find a trustworthy shop that will do the job at reasonable labor cost.

I will keep you guys updated after the module arrives.
I am from Toronto too and experiencing the same issue, warranty also over. I am wondering which shop you brought your car to and do you have any update? Please send me a message 6478028036 If you don’t mind. Thanks! Calvin
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 09:59 AM   #150
hyperion69
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i

Quote:

The same thing happened to me on my '19 model and I live in Europe. The message popped up this morning for the first time (all other systems seem to work properly for now). I will go to the dealer next week to sort it out. It's frustrating to see this is a very common issue and BMW doing nothing about it. "German quality" means NOTHING these days compared to how they used to build reliable cars before 2010-2014.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 11:06 AM   #151
MaKSiNG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatHulk View Post
Is there a good way to test the shark fin to see if it's leaking?
BMW tested the shark fin by turning the heat up in the vehicle, spraying a soap/water solution around the shark fin and watching for bubbles.

I ended up paying out of pocket at an Indy for a reseal of the shark fin, new module and new battery.
My car was within the 4 year warranty period BUT over the 50k mile limit.
BMW would not cover the repair even though I argued at length that this was not a mileage related problem, since there should be zero wear and tear on the shark fin. They told me to get lost

I am also still hoping there will be a recall at some point. I have all the paperwork still so would claim a refund if this recall ever comes.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:44 PM   #152
2heeldrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 4.0, 2022 330ix

For those of us out of warranty, I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to run bead of silicone sealant around the shark fin as preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 12:18 AM   #153
M42
Private
Rep
Drives: X5

Wow a lot of new traction on this thread.

Unfortunately I was graced with this issue today afternoon.

I had initially gotten it about a year ago, and took my X5 to the dealer then. They kept my car for 3 days, just cleared the codes and didn’t attempt any repair or further diagnostics because “the error didn’t show up after they cleared it.”

Back to today, pretty sure from my car sitting in rain for 24 hours (it’s usually garaged and I’m traveling right now). I suspect water got into the shark fin. I’m extremely disappointed BMW is living with this design flaw. More so because my full issues are:
1) emergency call malfunction
2) driver assistance limited
3) ac/vents reset every 1 min. Unusable.
4) other electrical instabilies.
5) “used component protection” error msg that pops up every 1 min.

I’m going to try going to dealer near where I’m traveling. Hopefully they can actually diagnose issue this time instead of my home dealer just shelving my car for 3 days and just returning it with cleared error codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2023, 11:41 AM   #154
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

Had the dreaded emergency call malfunction. I have a 2019 that I purchased new so the warranty is up. $2700 and three days in the shop due to holiday. The will replace and repaint shark antenna, replace module, replace module battery. Service tech said he’s seen four this week alone. There is a service bulletin but it only cover SOP 2022.
Appreciate 0