BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #1
jammit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Peerless Snow Cables

Has anyone successfully used the Peerless snow cables on the R20 tyres 305/40 (Msport standard rear tyre)
This is a picture of the Peerless SZ447 SuperZ6 snow cables fitted to the tyre.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-c...tirechains/676

Has very small 1-2cm clearance at back and haven't tried in actual snow conditions
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GolfR17157.50
      11-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammit View Post
Has anyone successfully used the Peerless snow cables on the R20 tyres 305/40 (Msport standard rear tyre)
This is a picture of the Peerless SZ447 SuperZ6 snow cables fitted to the tyre.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/tire-c...tirechains/676

Has very small 1-2cm clearance at back and haven't tried in actual snow conditions
How did the cables go work out for you? Anyone else have cables that fit the 20" Msport tire?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
Fennario
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

They are ok for emergency use on All-Season tires. Chains of any kind are a pain to put on and take off in bad conditions. 25mph limit also sucks when the road conditions clear up and you still have them on. Better to have a set of "All Weather" Tires with the 3 Peak Snowflake symbol vs. "All Season."

Also, summer performance tires should not be anywhere near conditions requiring chains. Winter temps are far too low for the rubber compound even in dry conditions and you risk destroying/cracking your tires if you put chains on them. Chains are for All-Season or Winter/Snow Tires.

Last edited by Fennario; 11-15-2020 at 12:04 AM..
Appreciate 1
GolfR17157.50
      11-15-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
GolfR17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
They are ok for emergency use on All-Season tires. Chains of any kind are a pain to put on and take off in bad conditions. 25mph limit also sucks when the road conditions clear up and you still have them on. Better to have a set of "All Weather" Tires with the 3 Peak Snowflake symbol vs. "All Season."

Also, summer performance tires should not be anywhere near conditions requiring chains. Winter temps are far too low for the rubber compound even in dry conditions and you risk destroying/cracking your tires if you put chains on them. Chains are for All-Season or Winter/Snow Tires.
I completely agree. Summer tires are a disaster in cold weather. I have the Pirelli Scorpion Zero All-Seasons. They will be more than suitable for the winter weather in central California. They may see snow or slightly below freezing temperatures once or twice a year on day trips to the mountains. Roads are typically plowed and would avoid travel in significant snowfall. Conditions where I would be comfortable driving on All Seasons. I plan (hope) to never use the chains. In California however they are required (to be in the vehicle) on many of the mountain roads. I was hoping to find a set that are safe to use in unlikely emergency but mostly to have in the car to comply with posted regulations.

Looking at other posts, this seems to be an issue mainly for Californians and Australians. I spent most of my life in Alberta Canada and did plenty of winter driving but never had the need or desire to use cables until moving to California...
Appreciate 0