11-14-2020, 08:44 PM   #23
BHCJJS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 G05 x40i M Sport, '04 E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Thanks BHCJJS.

So after a lot of reading and a few phone calls to tire rack, I am going the 19" + Pirelli Scorpion Winter RF setup.
I was more inclined towards the 20" but I am not getting RF tires but just non RF ones. Hence 19".

Tire rack shows widths for 19" wheels : 19x8 and 19x9 both as O.E. Diameter. On BMW official catalog they show 19x9j to keep it universal to work with larger Msport brakes I think. I don't have the Msport brakes.
Any comments if I chose 19x8? Most of 19x9 are unavailable and sold out. Tire rack mentioned both of them will work and have been tried and tested and hence listed for my vehicle. Just wanted to know if you have any comments.

Thanks a lot - you have been very helpful as I enter this space. In my X3 I never bothered earlier with A/S tires.
I'm no expert, but I always try to keep it as OEM as possible (because I'm not expert). Yet, I think the only significant thing you'll sacrifice is some sidewall that could potentially save you from curb rashes (at 8x19, the tire may be more flush with your wheel if your wheel is 9x19). You're going down in width, so you won't have to worry about a variety of clearance issues.

Also, being that you're considering getting the entire wheel set (rims and tires) from tire rack, just remember that the G05's PCD (bolt pattern) is 5x112.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 12:26 AM   #24
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCJJS View Post
Also, being that you're considering getting the entire wheel set (rims and tires) from tire rack, just remember that the G05's PCD (bolt pattern) is 5x112.
Thanks BHCJJS. After consulting the BMW mechanic at my regular BMW service center, they said that 19x8 works for 19in without sport brakes. So I think I will take that.
I confirmed the PCD - tire rack said they won't suggest wheels that won't work with the pattern. The ones they show are all 5x112.

Thanks for all your help. I will send you a picture when I get mine installed.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 04:16 PM   #25
Havy
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by araje View Post
Thanks BHCJJS.

So after a lot of reading and a few phone calls to tire rack, I am going the 19" + Pirelli Scorpion Winter RF setup.
I was more inclined towards the 20" but I am not getting RF tires but just non RF ones. Hence 19".

Tire rack shows widths for 19" wheels : 19x8 and 19x9 both as O.E. Diameter. On BMW official catalog they show 19x9j to keep it universal to work with larger Msport brakes I think. I don't have the Msport brakes.
Any comments if I chose 19x8? Most of 19x9 are unavailable and sold out. Tire rack mentioned both of them will work and have been tried and tested and hence listed for my vehicle. Just wanted to know if you have any comments....
I have just one comment on that. If you sell the car it is probably easier to sell 19x9 rather than 19x8 as more people have the M-brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:23 PM   #26
araje
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havy View Post
I have just one comment on that. If you sell the car it is probably easier to sell 19x9 rather than 19x8 as more people have the M-brakes.
Oh that's a very important point.
Well, right now tire rack is checking if they can do the 19x9 wheels faster than 2/21 that they say right now. So I am in a holding pattern.

While that is what I am doing, if I do 19x8 say, is that going to be difficult to install compared to 19x9 or due to extra width 19x9 be difficult to install ? Any views on that?

I can just cut the chase and do 20" which are available in 20x9 per BMW spec but the only issue is there are no Scorpion winter RF in that size. Why does this have to be such a science project.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #27
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

I bought some 'take-off' BMW wheels and had Nokian R3 RFT winter tires installed on them. My cost ~$2600 US installed. These were on a 19" square setup. No snow or ice driving since, so can't comment. The Nokian tires worked quite well on my previous vehicle. They use an aramid fiber in the sidewalls, so should be safer if you hit a curb or road debris.

The wider the winter tire, in fresh snow, the worse grip you'll get, and most places recommend downsizing the wheel size for the winter as snow/slush/ice can cover up things like potholes, and more sidewall height can help prevent damages to the wheel, tire, and suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #28
alix london
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Garage List
2021 bmx x5 45e  [0.00]
huge amount of configs available..

ive actually gone for different set up this year on the X5 45e for the london/france/italian Alps season. dropping the staggered set for square and dropping down to 20" 748's in MattBlack with Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 run flats..

had to have them shipped from germany so still waiting.. will post when on board.
Appreciate 0