BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
DIY oil change

Anyone has instruction on DIY oil change for this particular model? Or should I refer to older model's? Is it possible to do pump oil change from the top, rather than bottom? I prefer not getting under the car in my sloped garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #2
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

This should be a part of the warranty if I am not mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #3
B///MWGuy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by samvora View Post
This should be a part of the warranty if I am not mistaken.
Yes, but I want to perform it more frequently - so I asked
Appreciate 1
Alaska_X5137.50
      07-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

Would be good info to have for sure!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
baja2013
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5

This isn't a reply, but just a question: How do you reset the oil counter after an oil change on a 2019 x5 40i?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #6
AnOldBiker
Jim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 XDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja2013 View Post
This isn't a reply, but just a question: How do you reset the oil counter after an oil change on a 2019 x5 40i?

Appreciate 5
      10-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
ajay71
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35I Premium

Garage List
2019 BMW X5  [0.00]
Thanks for the video to reset the oil change.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 08:08 PM   #8
samvora
The Dark Knight
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E46, E90, G05 and MB W205

What oil does the G05 X5 use?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
Landon_Markham
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw e36, x5 e70

Hi! Changing the oil in the BMW X5 engine should be carried out on a warmed-up engine (this contributes to a faster and better flow of lubricant). It will also flow out faster if the dipstick is first lifted and the filler cap is unscrewed. To change the lubricant, the bottom of the car must be viewable. To replace the filter, the car must be on the ground (so that the engine compartment is fully accessible). First you need to unscrew the filter cover using the proper wrench (usually a 32-bit head). Then remove the cover, and with it the filter. Before these steps, substitute a container so that the old oil does not stain the engine compartment. This is followed by the removal of the old filter and the replacement of the gum (which it is desirable to lubricate with oil) Next, a new cartridge is installed, after which the lid is tightly screwed on. You can unscrew the drain plug with a 17 wrench. Do not forget to substitute a special container before that, where the oil will flow. Unscrew the plugs. Note that the plug has an O-ring. If it deforms during tightening, it should be replaced. After completely removing the oil from the car engine, you need to tighten the plug. Once you have verified that both the drain plug and the filter are securely tightened, you can start filling with new grease.
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00
      06-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
jcardea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by B///MWGuy View Post
Anyone has instruction on DIY oil change for this particular model? Or should I refer to older model's? Is it possible to do pump oil change from the top, rather than bottom? I prefer not getting under the car in my sloped garage.
My oil change procedure for my 2021 X5 x40i (B58 TU) engine. I have a lift (QuickJack BL6000) so I warm up engine until oil is about 100°F or slightly less. Loosen filler cap to let air in as oil drains out. If I’m going to take a sample for testing this is when to do that as oil is draining. I let oil drain until basically stops dripping. I replace crush washer with new one and reinstall drain plug and torque to 25N-m. I then lower vehicle down to ground and remove plastic engine cover. To better access oil filter canister, I push the release tab on the turbo inner cooler fluid reservoir and lay it over on top of engine and use a small piece of wire to tie it back without straining either tube coming from it. This will give you reasonable clear access to oil filter unit. I stuffed a couple rags around filter canister in case of oil spilling, but really didn’t have much at all. I purchased a 32MM Oil Filter Socket from ALTIN off Amazon for little over $10 that make things much easier than a general use 32MM socket. My canister cap was a little tight all the way out but no problems. Then just pull out old filter from cap and replace with new one. Caution Note: there are four, sort of alignment features inside the cap and on oil filter so if you pull on the old one and it seems a bit too hard to come off, rotate it a bit and it comes right out. I changed “O” ring on cap with new one from kit and used some new oil to lubricate three “O” rings in new filter and the one on cap and then reinstalled. Cap calls for 25N-m torque, but my cap was somewhat snug all the way in just like it was coming out, so I just stopped when it hit bottom (“O” Ring is the seal anyway). I put in 6 quarts plus 12 ounces of fresh oil. Replace the turbo cooling reservoir and replace old fill cap. Started vehicle and let it warm up to operating temperature and had it measure oil fill. I always check for leak too. All done from there. I’m sure others have differences of opinions but that is how of have done mine.
Appreciate 4
      08-05-2021, 07:57 PM   #11
boostin1004
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 m3 cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardea View Post
My oil change procedure for my 2021 X5 x40i (B58 TU) engine. I have a lift (QuickJack BL6000) so I warm up engine until oil is about 100°F or slightly less. Loosen filler cap to let air in as oil drains out. If I’m going to take a sample for testing this is when to do that as oil is draining. I let oil drain until basically stops dripping. I replace crush washer with new one and reinstall drain plug and torque to 25N-m. I then lower vehicle down to ground and remove plastic engine cover. To better access oil filter canister, I push the release tab on the turbo inner cooler fluid reservoir and lay it over on top of engine and use a small piece of wire to tie it back without straining either tube coming from it. This will give you reasonable clear access to oil filter unit. I stuffed a couple rags around filter canister in case of oil spilling, but really didn’t have much at all. I purchased a 32MM Oil Filter Socket from ALTIN off Amazon for little over $10 that make things much easier than a general use 32MM socket. My canister cap was a little tight all the way out but no problems. Then just pull out old filter from cap and replace with new one. Caution Note: there are four, sort of alignment features inside the cap and on oil filter so if you pull on the old one and it seems a bit too hard to come off, rotate it a bit and it comes right out. I changed “O” ring on cap with new one from kit and used some new oil to lubricate three “O” rings in new filter and the one on cap and then reinstalled. Cap calls for 25N-m torque, but my cap was somewhat snug all the way in just like it was coming out, so I just stopped when it hit bottom (“O” Ring is the seal anyway). I put in 6 quarts plus 12 ounces of fresh oil. Replace the turbo cooling reservoir and replace old fill cap. Started vehicle and let it warm up to operating temperature and had it measure oil fill. I always check for leak too. All done from there. I’m sure others have differences of opinions but that is how of have done mine.
Well written and explained!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 06:03 PM   #12
Ferdinand14
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 x40i

You Tube video for X7 40i - exactly the same as the X5 40i.
Appreciate 4
      08-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #13
clutchless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Toyota Sienna

I just changed the oil on my 2022 X5 X40i at 5,200 miles using the instructions and video presented above. Thanks! I used a BMW oil filter and Liquimoly 0w20 that meets the BMW spec. I have been changing my own oil for decades, mostly on Japanese cars and a Ford Explorer.
I found the filter did not drip much at all when removed from the car. However removing the filter from the can requires a twist and a heavy pull to snap it loose. I was surprised at how easy it was to remove the drain plug bolt. I expected more resistance.

I followed the recommendation above of 6 quarts plus 12 ounces which is 204 ounces. The jug of LiquiMoly that states it is 5.28 quarts. I calculated that adding 35 ounces more to that would be 204 ounces. After filling it up and warming up the vehicle the engine oil calculator advised the oil level was fine. I was hoping for a quart reading, but it just said all was good.

I actually invested in a small torque wrench to be sure I got the recommended 25NM torque on both the filter and drain bolt. I never do that on the Lexus and Toyota that I own relying on my experience to know when they are tight enough. However having little German car experience (aside from owning a couple of used 2002's in the 1970s) I decided to play it safe.

I did not reset the oil change monitor.

FYI I also invested in the MotivX oil funnel that claims it fits BMW and Lexus. It comes with 2 screw on adaptors and claims to screw into the oil filler hole so you don't spill oil on the engine. The BMW adaptor that has 2 metal tabs does not fit the B58 engine. There is apparently another adaptor called the quarter turn adaptor that fits the B58. I am still searching for it.

Last edited by clutchless; 08-08-2022 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 1
Roch M4424.00
      09-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #14
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

I posted a step by step oil change procedure at this link.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1897470&page=2
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2022, 10:54 PM   #15
helloFoo1123
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2023 BMW X5e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchless View Post
Curious why you decided not to reset the monitor? So that the dealer will perform the recommended change at 'default' interval and not weasel out of the service guarantee in the first three years?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 06:00 PM   #16
Edubya
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 Raptor

Can we put in service history entry or is that only if stuff is done at the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2022, 08:27 PM   #17
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edubya View Post
Can we put in service history entry or is that only if stuff is done at the dealer?
You can add service history to the vehicle itself (iDrive) with the correct tools but it won't get synched to BMW servers and show in the history where it really matters for warranty purposes. You might be able to do it with a bmwtechinfo subscription via AIR. I don't recall if individuals have that option or only dealers and repair shops. It's probably not worth the cost of the subscription though. You'd be better just paying for the dealer to do oil changes
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 10:58 PM   #18
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

I save receipts for oil and filters plus made a video of my wife pouring 0W20 BMW oil in. A 1 1/4 socket fits the filter housing really tight. I think I used a wobble extension which made it easy. No need to take anything off. Make your own service record sheet to keep in the maintenance book. Pretty naive of them to leave out maintenance pages to write on.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 04:33 PM   #19
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchless View Post
I just changed the oil on my 2022 X5 X40i at 5,200 miles using the instructions and video presented above. Thanks! I used a BMW oil filter and Liquimoly 0w20 that meets the BMW spec. I have been changing my own oil for decades, mostly on Japanese cars and a Ford Explorer.
I found the filter did not drip much at all when removed from the car. However removing the filter from the can requires a twist and a heavy pull to snap it loose. I was surprised at how easy it was to remove the drain plug bolt. I expected more resistance.

I followed the recommendation above of 6 quarts plus 12 ounces which is 204 ounces. The jug of LiquiMoly that states it is 5.28 quarts. I calculated that adding 35 ounces more to that would be 204 ounces. After filling it up and warming up the vehicle the engine oil calculator advised the oil level was fine. I was hoping for a quart reading, but it just said all was good.

I actually invested in a small torque wrench to be sure I got the recommended 25NM torque on both the filter and drain bolt. I never do that on the Lexus and Toyota that I own relying on my experience to know when they are tight enough. However having little German car experience (aside from owning a couple of used 2002's in the 1970s) I decided to play it safe.

FYI I also invested in the MotivX oil funnel that claims it fits BMW and Lexus. It comes with 2 screw on adaptors and claims to screw into the oil filler hole so you don't spill oil on the engine. The BMW adaptor that has 2 metal tabs does not fit the B58 engine. There is apparently another adaptor called the quarter turn adaptor that fits the B58. I am still searching for it.
Just to clarify, that 204 ounces is almost exactly 6 liters. If you're buying Liqui-Moly oil, it comes in liters so you don't have to do any fancy math. Just put in 6 liters. The 6 quarts plus 12 ounces is only necessary if you buy oil packaged in quarts.

Gerry
Alaska_X5137.50
      11-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #20
clutchless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Toyota Sienna

Responding to the Sept question about why I did not reset the oil monitor when I changed my own oil.
It was because I want to dealer to perform their free (we pay for as part of the car price) required oil change when the monitor says to do it.
I keep my own separate service log. I do that for all my vehicles.
I did not want to wait 11,000 miles for the first oil change. I am at 9200 miles now and it states service is due in 2,000 miles!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 12:19 PM   #21
PKSTPR78
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 x40i

Pretty straightforward on the B58 engine. Oil filter is a bit tricky but not bad at all. Drain plug is 17mm socket and you don't need to remove any skid plates or anything so that's a bonus. I use Kirkland 0W-20 synthetic from Costco (amazing oil at a great price!), either a Fram or CarQuest filter kit that comes with the O-ring and copper crush gasket for the oil plug. Replace both and lube the O-ring before you put the oil filter cap back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 07:19 PM   #22
gfeiner97
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X540i

BMW's instructions for oil change on G05 attached.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf OilChange.pdf (2.30 MB, 678 views)
Appreciate 9