11-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #89
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d Touring xDrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
OK I know we have a few of these threads, but I wanted to do a quick review of the changes I've noticed in the UK.

I only got the upgrade today and have only driven a few miles but I noticed a few things.

At stock configuration:
- menu's changed for CarPlay and Android Auto - you can set a favourite key to take you to the main CarPlay/AA menu
- Apple Maps display in the HUD instead of iDrive when running. Google maps did not. Not tried any others yet.
- No Digital Key 1.5
- Couldn't spot any differences with cloud navigation as yet - maybe need some more miles on the clock
- No other assist feature changes

I coded a few things:
- Traffic Light Assistant is working and its really cool. Spots the camera at red/green 150 yards away and decreases the count as you approach. The graphic is displayed in the CiC and HUD. I haven't been able to test if it fully stops as yet as there was just too much traffic as I wasnt the lead car.

Note: this feature has been pushed back to 11/2020 i-step so I was surprised it worked.

- Digital key 1.5 - so close but its not working. The car thinks I have the feature but moans about connected drive needing to be updated. It also broke my Comfort Access temporarily. Looks like there is a migration process that needs to happen with the digital keys and I couldn't get the CD app to update. I'll have another go when I have more time.

- The car appeared to slow for raised manhole covers during road works. Well it definitely did slow and steered around them. I need to check on that to confirm it wasn't a fluke. This could be part of Urban Cruise Control, which I activated.

- There are some new features that look specific to motorway driving. I've attached some screenshots. They look interesting. Well, except for the no undertaking one

There's some bugs as well, but again I need more time to confirm.

Hi ifr,
See this video
https://youtu.be/KJNYXqAJsL8

In the 11.2020 update some car have traffic light function
so I think that BMW for having officially released it (the author of the video does not talk about coding) considers the function safe.

So could you share the codes for the encodings in esys?

Many thanks

Last edited by Fpgiuliano; 11-15-2020 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      11-15-2020, 02:25 AM   #90
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpgiuliano View Post
Hi ifr,
See this video
https://youtu.be/KJNYXqAJsL8

In the 11.2020 update some car have traffic light function
so I think that BMW for having officially released it (the author of the video does not talk about coding) considers the function safe.

So could you share the codes for the encodings in esys?

Many thanks
Thanks for the post - it's in German and doesnt seem to have any english subs?

11/2020 is not available on S18A platform as yet, either via dealer network, or the 'community', unless you can point me to a source?

That means I cannot test the coding on a G05/G20 with 11/2020, and that's my benchmark as to determining if it is safe for release or not. In the UK at least, I consider it safe, but I know that its not safe in other countries such as China. My coding activates the feature for most regions, even those that are not ready for it, on 07/2020 at least.

I would like to hear what the vlogger has to say about it though if you can find an english translation?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:30 AM   #91
Fpgiuliano
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d Touring xDrive Msport

Quote:
Thanks for the post - it's in German and doesnt seem to have any english subs?

11/2020 is not available on S18A platform as yet, either via dealer network, or the 'community', unless you can point me to a source?

That means I cannot test the coding on a G05/G20 with 11/2020, and that's my benchmark as to determining if it is safe for release or not.

I would like to hear what the vlogger has to say about it though if you can find an english translation?

Hi ifr ,
yes on the s18 there is not yet (they recently released 07/2020).
however, is software - in theory - it should be the same...but maybe I'm wrong.

pity, I tried

Sorry for my bad English
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:36 AM   #92
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fpgiuliano View Post
Hi ifr ,
yes on the s18 there is not yet (they recently released 07/2020).
however, is software - in theory - it should be the same...but maybe I'm wrong.

pity, I tried

Sorry for my bad English
No it will be different.

As of 07/2020 the coding for TLA is planned to activate TLA on cars with a build date of 11/2020 or later. That means BMW are targeting i-step 11/2020 to release the feature in production, and therefore 07/2020 software should be considered beta. Non-S18A model cars now have i-step 11/2020 available to them, so I wonder if BMW are delaying 11/2020 on the S18A models due to issues with TLA.

It's also cloud connected and they are tweaking things constantly. For example, as of a week ago when waiting at a red light, and my car is not the lead car, it would resume when the car in-front set off, but then stop when it reached the green light. It had not done that before in the 3 months prior. Really annoying and potentially dangerous. It did that dozens of times over a 5 day period. As of 2 days ago it doesn't do it anymore, and its back to working as normal. Nothing else has changed on the car, so it must have been some cloud mod.

Edit: to add on the video, he lost some credibility with me by stating that the feature cannot be retrofitted to earlier MY due to hardware constraints. I have a MY19 G05 and it works exactly as his MY21 test vehicle. Perhaps he was referring to earlier G30?

One good point I hadn't really picked up on - the DAP is vastly improved with 07/2020 with nav running. It really slows correctly for junctions, roundabouts , exits, etc. You can drive by steering only now, whereas previously it was too slow or too fast and the driver had to intervene with pedals. It also slows correctly if NAV is not enabled as long as the driver uses the indicators for exits.

Last edited by ifr; 11-15-2020 at 03:34 AM.. Reason: watched video with english subs
Appreciate 1
Deja01135.00
      11-15-2020, 05:17 AM   #93
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Edit: to add on the video, he lost some credibility with me by stating that the feature cannot be retrofitted to earlier MY due to hardware constraints. I have a MY19 G05 and it works exactly as his MY21 test vehicle. Perhaps he was referring to earlier G30?
I think (hope) he is referring to the G30 because it has Idrive 6 before the LCI

Good to know that 11/2020 is out. I have an appointment to upgrade next week. Mine was a late 2019 build. Let's see what options I get.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:21 AM   #94
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
I think (hope) he is referring to the G30 because it has Idrive 6 before the LCI

Good to know that 11/2020 is out. I have an appointment to upgrade next week. Mine was a late 2019 build. Let's see what options I get.
It's not out for our S18A vehicles unfortunately, just almost every other model

I'm thinking we might have to wait until ISTA 4.27 (December) before we see 11/2020 SDP for S18A. Unlikely your dealer will have it next week, unless it gets released in the interim, and your dealer is allocated it as one of the first in the BMW dealership portal.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      11-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #95
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm thinking we might have to wait until ISTA 4.27 (December) before we see 11/2020 SDP for S18A. Unlikely your dealer will have it next week, unless it gets released in the interim, and your dealer is allocated it as one of the first in the BMW dealership portal.
I had 03/2020 installed on March 2nd. So they are quite up to date. I will just see what happens.

My appointment is nov 24th.

I need to have my winter tires installed anyway. The idrive update was more of a bonus so if it is not available I will just wait until spring when I put my summer tires back on. And i the mean time wait for 07/2020 OTA.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:34 AM   #96
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I had 03/2020 installed on March 2nd. So they are quite up to date. I will just see what happens.

I need to have my winter tires installed anyway. The idrive update was more of a bonus so if it is not available I will just wait until spring when I put my summer tires back on. And i the mean time wait for 07/2020 OTA.
I'd just take whatever they have at the time if they will upgrade for free. 07/2020.560 is the latest available as of today.
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      11-15-2020, 05:37 AM   #97
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd just take whatever they have at the time if they will upgrade for free. 07/2020.60 is the latest available as of today.
I reported having some (minor) issues with the edrive system and they said it would be solved with a software update. So I presume it is free.

Or maybe I should keep this free ticket to a software upgrade for when 11/2020 is available. It would be a shame if the problem is solved with 07/2020 and I need to find another glitch to get a free update.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:43 AM   #98
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'd just take whatever they have at the time if they will upgrade for free. 07/2020.60 is the latest available as of today.
I reported having some (minor) issues with the edrive system and they said it would be solved with a software update. So I presume it is free.

Or maybe I should keep this free ticket to a software upgrade for when 11/2020 is available. It would be a shame if the problem is solved with 07/2020 and I need to find another glitch to get a free update.
if they know about it they'll upgrade you regardless. If 11/2020 is not released to dealers by your upgrade date, might be worth rescheduling the appointment by a week or 2, weather permitting.

Depends on how cold it's going to be over the next week or so. The U.K. is forecast to drop below 7 C in a weeks time so I'm getting my winters fitted next week
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:51 AM   #99
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

if they know about it they'll upgrade you regardless. If 11/2020 is not released to dealers by your upgrade date, might be worth rescheduling the appointment by a week or 2, weather permitting.

Depends on how cold it's going to be over the next week or so. The U.K. is forecast to drop below 7 C in a weeks time so I'm getting my winters fitted next week
Same in Belgium. But I don't plan on doing long trips due to Covid.

I sent them a mail. Might be a good idea to wait a couple of weeks indeed.
Appreciate 1
ifr1196.50
      11-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #100
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just had a mail. Like you said: 11/2020 is not released yet. We will wait until the end of the week and if necessary/ possible reschedule my appointment.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 03:39 AM   #101
sucoru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f15

News from CT
S18A-20-11-531
Appreciate 2
ifr1196.50
      11-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #102
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucoru View Post
News from CT
S18A-20-11-531
Has anyone confirmed if this is available, and what new features it includes?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #103
bmwman3241
Rep
Drives: BMW

Can someone please help me understand this a little better. I am negotiating a deal on a 2020 X5M off the lot with a build date of April 2020.

I know for Apple Carkey (Same thing as digital key 1.5 if I am understanding correctly) I need a built date after July-2020 so I won't have that option. Is there anything else in this 07/2020 update or the 11/2020 update that I don't get access to? Or is everything else available after updating the software?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 06:43 PM   #104
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwman3241 View Post
Can someone please help me understand this a little better. I am negotiating a deal on a 2020 X5M off the lot with a build date of April 2020.

I know for Apple Carkey (Same thing as digital key 1.5 if I am understanding correctly) I need a built date after July-2020 so I won't have that option. Is there anything else in this 07/2020 update or the 11/2020 update that I don't get access to? Or is everything else available after updating the software?
Though not officially confirmed to my knowledge, I've read that Urban Cruise Control with Traffic Light Assistant, if/when available, will require a build date of 11/2020 or newer. So presumably you won't have the option to activate those features via software update or Apple CarKey.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #105
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrichione View Post
Quote:

Though not officially confirmed to my knowledge, I've read that Urban Cruise Control with Traffic Light Assistant, if/when available, will require a build date of 11/2020 or newer. So presumably you won't have the option to activate those features via software update or Apple CarKey.
As per the article below Urban Cruise Control with Traffic Light Assistant supposedly be software updatable for many models built as of 07/2020 and already included for X5/6/7 built as of 08/2020:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...EN?language=en
      11-19-2020, 01:43 AM   #106
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartSaves View Post
As per the article below Urban Cruise Control with Traffic Light Assistant supposedly be software updatable for many models built as of 07/2020 and already included for X5/6/7 built as of 08/2020:

It's a confusing picture as there is currently no way the TLA/UCC will activate on a 08/2020 build car with 07/2020 i-step, despite what the article says.

Once I get 11/2020 I'll be able to confirm if they have changed that position in the coding, and if it will enable on the G05 etc with build 08/2020 or later.

I really do hope they start deploying these kind of autonomous driving features to older cars where supported. Reduces the need to code.
Appreciate 1
marcosg24.50
      11-19-2020, 07:57 AM   #107
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

Quote:

Where the article lists all the models, it also says "in Germany". Sounds like this is going to be country specific.
In combination with the optional Driving Assistant Professional and the optional BMW Head-Up Display, the BMW 3 Series, BMW 4 Series and BMW 5 Series Series, the BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo, the BMW 7 Series and 8 Series as well as the BMW iX3, BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, BMW M8, BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M in Germany the function of active speed control with Stop&Go now also a traffic light recognition available.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #108
SmartSaves
X5 Enthusiast
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
Quote:

Where the article lists all the models, it also says "in Germany". Sounds like this is going to be country specific.
In combination with the optional Driving Assistant Professional and the optional BMW Head-Up Display, the BMW 3 Series, BMW 4 Series and BMW 5 Series Series, the BMW 6 Series Gran Turismo, the BMW 7 Series and 8 Series as well as the BMW iX3, BMW X5, BMW X6, BMW X7, BMW M3, BMW M4, BMW M5, BMW M8, BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]in Germany[/COLOR] the function of active speed control with Stop&Go now also a traffic light recognition available.
Good eye, I also noticed that. Well, even if they introduce in Germany it is still a good start IMO. I'll appreciate their beta testing effort

I am actually waiting for them to rollout the MY BMW app worldwide.

My X5 was already built on week 46 with code 155, awaiting for delivery. I doubt it'll have iSTEP 11/2020, will report back if I notice anything interesting.
      11-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #109
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just took delivery of a 2021 X7 with an 11/2020 build date and can confirm the features are not activated. However, it was delivered with 07/02020.54 installed, so hopefully an upgrade to 11/2020 iStep will resolve.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #110
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I just took delivery of a 2021 X7 with an 11/2020 build date and can confirm the features are not activated. However, it was delivered with 07/02020.54 installed, so hopefully an upgrade to 11/2020 iStep will resolve.
Good news - if your build date in VO is 11/2020 then the new features should activate when you upgrade to i-step 11/2020.531 or later.

Bad news - many such as TLR/TLA will be region locked so might not be available.
Appreciate 0