BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Exhaust flap controller.

I've read just about everything there is here on the exhaust flap mod and various approaches.
It is my understanding that the exhaust flaps are in the open position on a dead cold star up. Could the electrical connectors to the controllers be disconnected at this time, right at cold start-up?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:26 AM   #2
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
I've read just about everything there is here on the exhaust flap mod and various approaches.
It is my understanding that the exhaust flaps are in the open position on a dead cold star up. Could the electrical connectors to the controllers be disconnected at this time, right at cold start-up?
Quote:
Would like to know the answer I this too. Want to add that only the right exhaust pipe has the flap open during a cold start. I don't know if they'll both remain open should you pull the pin at this time.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

There are complicated solutions to permanently opening your exhaust flaps.... ie: Piggyback tuning, coding, aftermarket electronic devices, etc. Maybe you'll get check engine lights... maybe you won't. Maybe it will be fine forever, maybe it will revert to stock when you get an update. There is no clear answer on whether or not "pulling the electrical connector" will throw a CEL. Some have done it successfully. Some have had their gauge clusters light up like a Christmas tree.

And there is an easy way: Pull the pins, and tack weld the flaps open. All the "pin" does, is serve as a mechanical connection from the electronic module to the flapper valve itself. Once you pull the pin... the electronic valve continues to operate as normal, and the car doesn't know anything is different (No CELs ever). The car still "thinks" that it is operating the flapper valve normally.

If you're worried about it being "too loud".... don't be. It's barely a noticeable difference inside the car. Outside the car, it sounds "slightly" healthier, but again, not a "significant" change. Plus, it's 100% free, or "maybe" a $50 job if you pay someone to do it. Most importantly, the car has no idea anything was changed... no CELs.
6-Piston X5M Big Brake Kit:https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1779038

Last edited by Ninefourteener; 08-31-2020 at 02:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
There are complicated solutions to permanently opening your exhaust flaps.... ie: Piggyback tuning, coding, aftermarket electronic devices, etc. Maybe you'll get check engine lights... maybe you won't. Maybe it will be fine forever, maybe it will revert to stock when you get an update. There is no clear answer on whether or not "pulling the electrical connector" will throw a CEL. Some have done it successfully. Some have had their gauge clusters light up like a Christmas tree.

And there is an easy way: Pull the pins, and tack weld the flaps open. All the "pin" does, is serve as a mechanical connection from the electronic module to the flapper valve itself. Once you pull the pin... the electronic valve continues to operate as normal, and the car doesn't know anything is different (No CELs ever). The car still "thinks" that it is operating the flapper valve normally.

If you're worried about it being "too loud".... don't be. It's barely a noticeable difference inside the car. Outside the car, it sounds "slightly" healthier, but again, not a "significant" change. Plus, it's 100% free, or "maybe" a $50 job if you pay someone to do it. Most importantly, the car has no idea anything was changed... no CELs.
I guess the question now is wheter we can pull the pin during a cold start or whether it has to be pulled once the vehicle is over 40mph in sport mode.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:26 PM   #5
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
I guess the question now is wheter we can pull the pin during a cold start or whether it has to be pulled once the vehicle is over 40mph in sport mode.
It doesn't matter, because by pulling the pin out, you've disconnected the electrical module from the flapper valve...... which means your flapper valve will rattle constantly unless you tack weld it.

And.... simply "pulling the pin" is rather difficult by itself. It's jammed in there pretty tight. I actually had to loosen the electrical modules (3 10mm bolts if I recall) just to be able to pull the pin out.

I think you are confusing "pulling the pin" with "disconnecting the plug". As I mentioned earlier, there are multiple theories about disconnecting the plug during a cold start, or in sport plus mode... or (gulp) while driving 40mph (good luck with that one.... please video it if you try). Some people have had success. Some people's dash lit up like a xmas tree with CELs.

I think you need to remove the panels (six 8mm bolts each side) and visually take a look at what you're dealing with. This will all make more sense.

"Pulling the plug" theory: By disconnecting the electrical connection to the flapper motor at "exactly" the right time, the motor, pin, and flapper valve will be permanently "stuck" in the open position. The downside: it might not work, and it may throw CELs. It also may "undo" itself when you get an update. The upside: If it works (that's a big IF), it is easily reversible.

"Pulling the pin" theory: By pulling the pin between the electrical flapper motor and the mechanical flapper valve, the motor continues to operate as normal, while accomplishing no mechanical action. The downside: The mechanical flapper valve needs to be spot welded open or it will rattle. Also, welding is not as easily reversible. The upside: No chance of a CEL, ever, and no chance of the mod failing or reverting, ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Ninefourteener
Major
Rep

Far Left - exhaust pipe (with unseen flapper valve inside)
Left - mechanical flapper valve pivot point
Center - flapper valve pin
Right - electronic flapper valve motor
Far right (unseen in pic) - electrical plug to flapper motor
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Well most people just pull the fuse to disable the flap. No one has got a CEL that I've seen doing it that way.

And to take the guess work out of knowing whether the flap is open, just purchase Bimmerlink (iOS/Android) for about $30 to open the flap. No need to do any silly pulling the fuse whilst driving antics. It's a useful app for other things like checking your battery status.

At the end of the day it's also very easy to undo - just plug the fuse back in!
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Well most people just pull the fuse to disable the flap. No one has got a CEL that I've seen doing it that way.

And to take the guess work out of knowing whether the flap is open, just purchase Bimmerlink (iOS/Android) for about $30 to open the flap. No need to do any silly pulling the fuse whilst driving antics. It's a useful app for other things like checking your battery status.

Good idea RE: Bimmercode. I wonder what the drone sounds like on a long drive. I do like the quite cabin during those 2+ hours drives.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #9
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumxee View Post
Quote:

Good idea RE: Bimmercode. I wonder what the drone sounds like on a long drive. I do like the quite cabin during those 2+ hours drives.
Bimmerlink, not Bimmercode. Turns out you get used to the drone after a few weeks, but if you want quiet, that is the opposite of open exhaust valves.
      09-01-2020, 11:49 PM   #10
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

There is definitely drone that was noticeable at the start, but like Lexx said I don't notice it anymore! Very surprised my wife didn't complain lol
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 08:34 PM   #11
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry a bit confused by your post ..

If we remove the fuse to disable then how will the Bimmerlink app Open/Close the valve?

Or are you suggesting Bimmerlink as an alternative to the fuse option? I have a g05 40i is there a noticeable difference in the exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #12
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27 View Post
Quote:

If we remove the fuse to disable then how will the Bimmerlink app Open/Close the valve?

Or are you suggesting Bimmerlink as an alternative to the fuse option? I have a g05 40i is there a noticeable difference in the exhaust?
Use Bimmerlink to open the flap. While flap is thusly open, pull the specific fuse. This disables the control solenoid and prevents it from closing the flap again. Bimmerlink is just a technique to force the flap open for the fuse removal procedure.

It does make quite an audible difference on 40i. Overall it's great, but can generate a low frequency drone at constant highway speed RPMs — you get used to it, but something to keep in mind.

Alternately, just keep the BT OBD interface plugged in and use Bimmerlink to open and close the flap manually on demand whenever you want, no fuse or the other two techniques needed.
      09-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #13
speedyman
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2016 Z06

Quote:

I intend to install a JB4 after breakin. Would this "Piggyback" device have the capability to open and close this exhaust flapper?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 10:22 AM   #14
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I intend to install a JB4 after breakin. Would this "Piggyback" device have the capability to open and close this exhaust flapper?
According to this, a definite maybe!
You should double check for the G05 with the manufacturer.
      09-13-2020, 11:57 AM   #15
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

According to this, a definite maybe!
You should double check for the G05 with the manufacturer.
Interesting! I wonder if this works with the g06 and the install process.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:27 AM   #16
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Use Bimmerlink to open the flap. While flap is thusly open, pull the specific fuse. This disables the control solenoid and prevents it from closing the flap again. Bimmerlink is just a technique to force the flap open for the fuse removal procedure.

It does make quite an audible difference on 40i. Overall it's great, but can generate a low frequency drone at constant highway speed RPMs — you get used to it, but something to keep in mind.

Alternately, just keep the BT OBD interface plugged in and use Bimmerlink to open and close the flap manually on demand whenever you want, no fuse or the other two techniques needed.
Why do i need to remove the fuse if i could just use Bimmerlink to open the valve whenever it closes?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #17
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why do i need to remove the fuse if i could just use Bimmerlink to open the valve whenever it closes?
Remove fuse = starts open and always open.

Bimmerlink = starts closed and manually opened by starting app and/or tapping app button, while keeping an OBD interface always plugged in.

Depends on what you want from opening the flap. Starting with flap open sounds great, you'd definitely miss that (in addition to convenience) without fuse pull or one of the other two techniques to keep the flap always open (do some forum searches for many threads on those). On the other hand, Bimmerlink let's you open and close while in motion at will.
      09-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #18
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Remove fuse = starts open and always open.

Bimmerlink = starts closed and manually opened by starting app and/or tapping app button, while keeping an OBD interface always plugged in.

Depends on what you want from opening the flap. Starting with flap open sounds great, you'd definitely miss that (in addition to convenience) without fuse pull or one of the other two techniques to keep the flap always open (do some forum searches for many threads on those). On the other hand, Bimmerlink let's you open and close while in motion at will.
Ok could you provide a snapshot of the exact fuse to remove ?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
LexxM3
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Literally the first returned result for "flap fuse" search: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24653223
      09-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #20
babyghost
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I can report that Bimmerlink on Android can't open or close valves while the car is in drive, only works when the car is in park(M50i). Pulled the fuse and all is good.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 02:14 PM   #21
Jrunr
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 M40i - G05

So, run the car in Sport/Sport + for 10-20 min, pull over and remove the fuse while the car is still idling. Sound correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 07:13 AM   #22
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Literally the first returned result for "flap fuse" search: https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24653223
I meant on like this pic which one is it ?

The diagram doesnt make sense to me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0