BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-28-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

2019 X5 issues

I am looking to buy a used 2019 X5. The dealership is very reliable. But I have heard from a member that some of the 2019 X5 had issues that couldnt be fixed and BMW just bought them back.
I am worried that the one I am looking at was one of those, given how much discount the dealer is giving.

the production date was 5/29/2019 for the vehicle. Anybody got experiences? It was a leased vehicle and somehow its selling again with only 8K miles.

Please advise!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

I would that every year BMW has to buy back some of every model, sometimes lemons are made. More than likely the vehicle your looking at was just an early lease turn-in.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
I would that every year BMW has to buy back some of every model, sometimes lemons are made. More than likely the vehicle your looking at was just an early lease turn-in.
Here's the thing. It is 20K off MSRP. with only 8K mile... If it werent from a legit BMW dealer, I wouldnt even open that page.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #4
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Can anybody give me a checklist to inspect the vehicle?
I know at least the front grill is aftermarket just by looking at the picture coz the sticker doesnt have the extended shadow line option.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 12:32 AM   #5
ted920
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i, Lexus GS 300

I know someone who bought the exact type of car you are looking at and everything was fixed by the dealer. He has had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. Perfect and a great deal.
I say definitely go for it. Its under warranty so you have extra support.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11106.00
      05-29-2020, 01:10 AM   #6
maxim38rus
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X5, i3, 6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinandwhat View Post
I am looking to buy a used 2019 X5. The dealership is very reliable. But I have heard from a member that some of the 2019 X5 had issues that couldnt be fixed and BMW just bought them back.
I am worried that the one I am looking at was one of those, given how much discount the dealer is giving.

the production date was 5/29/2019 for the vehicle. Anybody got experiences? It was a leased vehicle and somehow its selling again with only 8K miles.

Please advise!
I doubt you can buy a "buy-back" car from a dealership. I went through this process last year and my car went to an auction. Moreover, it was a third-party company that took care of the whole process on behave of BMW of NA.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 07:21 AM   #7
randybobandy
Rick James
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I would not overthink with the problems it might have or what others might have. I can tell you that I've had some of the same issues as others on here, but nothing that is going to ruin the vehicle. Other than that, you might have something or you might have no issue. I assume it is a CPO vehicle, so as long as you're covered...you should be good. All of the recall work should be complete, and if it isn't, I am sure it will before it goes off the lot. I will say this...for 8,000 miles on a lease...you may be looking at a couple circumstances.

1. Someone hated the vehicle and decided to take a bath on it by trading in or breaking the lease.
2. Given the economic strain and loss of wages...someone may have been out of work and could not afford the monthly payments anymore.

Either way, I would say you are safe...Like you mentioned, as long as it is from a legit dealership, CPO, and seems good to go on the test drive....you can't go wrong. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: All

Quote:

Please advise!
Ask to see the carfax that will tell you everything. If not, take the VIN and call the local DMV to ask about title transfers. All buy backs in AZ have to go to salvage tittle status. Not sure about your state so ask.

Can you answer these:
Does the X5 have warranty?
Does your state have lemon law?

If yes to both you have nothing to worry about, expect someone like me buying that good deal from AZ and re-selling private party to make a quick 5k. (my neighbor is looking for a used one right now)
2015 M235 Manual
On the list for the M2 CS
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #9
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenac View Post
Ask to see the carfax that will tell you everything. If not, take the VIN and call the local DMV to ask about title transfers. All buy backs in AZ have to go to salvage tittle status. Not sure about your state so ask.

Can you answer these:

If yes to both you have nothing to worry about, expect someone like me buying that good deal from AZ and re-selling private party to make a quick 5k. (my neighbor is looking for a used one right now)
It is not a CPO so it only has the standard 3 year-36K warranty. Which I am happy about since i still almost have 30K on it.

The dealership is in Illinois and i just googled it, it does have lemon law covering cars with less than 12K miles. I am not a resident of Illinois though. Dont know how much that change the game.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randybobandy View Post
I would not overthink with the problems it might have or what others might have. I can tell you that I've had some of the same issues as others on here, but nothing that is going to ruin the vehicle. Other than that, you might have something or you might have no issue. I assume it is a CPO vehicle, so as long as you're covered...you should be good. All of the recall work should be complete, and if it isn't, I am sure it will before it goes off the lot. I will say this...for 8,000 miles on a lease...you may be looking at a couple circumstances.

1. Someone hated the vehicle and decided to take a bath on it by trading in or breaking the lease.
2. Given the economic strain and loss of wages...someone may have been out of work and could not afford the monthly payments anymore.

Either way, I would say you are safe...Like you mentioned, as long as it is from a legit dealership, CPO, and seems good to go on the test drive....you can't go wrong. Good luck!
It is just a pre-owned. Not a CPO. I asked the sale guy whats the difference and he said just 1 year extended warranty. Is that true?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
It is just a pre-owned. Not a CPO. I asked the sale guy whats the difference and he said just 1 year extended warranty. Is that true?
There should still be part of the 3 year left, and if really worried negotiate an extended. What is a bit of alarming is its not CPO with 8k and if it is a lease return those typically are CPO when brought in little mileage. You can always test drive and spend time with it, play with everything. I'd still ask to see a carfax if it has one.

What is your biggest concern? Affordability with repair or just not wanting to deal with a risk?

For lemon law it goes to the state the vehicle is registered not purchased at.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Quote:

Can you answer these:

It is not a CPO so it only has the standard 3 year-36K warranty. Which I am happy about since i still almost have 30K on it.

The dealership is in Illinois and i just googled it, it does have lemon law covering cars with less than 12K miles. I am not a resident of Illinois though. Dont know how much that change the game.
Warranty is 4 year / 50K. 3 year / 36K is for scheduled maintenance included from factory.

Ask dealer service department for service records on car. That's a late 2019 build so many of the early issues were likely addressed. One thing for sure make sure they update iStep (software) to current. Don't listen to their BS about car having remote software update feature.
      05-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Depends on the dealership and what they are willing to do. Mine was a CPO and it came with 2 yrs extra warranty and I forget how many extra miles. Ok, don't be fooled, if a dealer offers car A without a CPO and offers it at $60K or if that same dealer offers the same car A with a CPO, it will be offered at more than $60K due to the CPO. CPO is an insurance policy that the buyer pays for up front when buying the car. On a used luxo German car, I prefer one with a CPO and then the challenge is upon me to negotiate the price down. I buy, not lease and I keep my cars a while.
I know they like to make a big deal about how they conduct an extensive inspection when offering a CPO and the buyer should feel good because a two page checklist was completed. This is a little bit smoke and mirrors but like I said, on a luxo German car, somehow I feel better during the CPO warranty timeframe and even better yet if I was able to negotiate down to a non CPO price.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #14
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There should still be part of the 3 year left, and if really worried negotiate an extended. What is a bit of alarming is its not CPO with 8k and if it is a lease return those typically are CPO when brought in little mileage. You can always test drive and spend time with it, play with everything. I'd still ask to see a carfax if it has one.

What is your biggest concern? Affordability with repair or just not wanting to deal with a risk?

For lemon law it goes to the state the vehicle is registered not purchased at.
They have AutoCheck but one thing seems weird. The last checked point was 10/15/19 for a battery service and maintenance with 3K on it. After that, there's nothing. Shouldnt there be something when the car was bought back by the dealership? Maybe the report is not updated? idk...

my biggest concern is the time that the car is gonna spend in service... nobody wanna visit dealership every week, or even every month.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #15
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They have AutoCheck but one thing seems weird. The last checked point was 10/15/19 for a battery service and maintenance with 3K on it. After that, there's nothing. Shouldnt there be something when the car was bought back by the dealership? Maybe the report is not updated? idk...

my biggest concern is the time that the car is gonna spend in service... nobody wanna visit dealership every week, or even every month.
Is this X5 at a BMW dealership? Sounds like its not.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #16
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Is this X5 at a BMW dealership? Sounds like its not.
It certainly is. BMW of Orland Park in chicago area.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It certainly is. BMW of Orland Park in chicago area.
So looks like you're about 3 hrs away by car. This is sounding stranger with every post. I know owners are saying that as long as you have a warranty, don't fret so much about the details or trying to make sense over it. I see things differently and if my gut smells something fishy, I simply walk away. The last thing I want is to be visiting the dealer so often that they offer me a job I don't want that sort of inconvenience either and if you intend on keeping the car longer than its warranty, I'd go look elsewhere.
However, if the "deal" is eating at you, make the drive to sit down in person with the sales manager and see if you can get to the bottom of this fishy deal
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:37 AM   #18
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
So looks like you're about 3 hrs away by car. This is sounding stranger with every post. I know owners are saying that as long as you have a warranty, don't fret so much about the details or trying to make sense over it. I see things differently and if my gut smells something fishy, I simply walk away. The last thing I want is to be visiting the dealer so often that they offer me a job I don't want that sort of inconvenience either and if you intend on keeping the car longer than its warranty, I'd go look elsewhere.
However, if the "deal" is eating at you, make the drive to sit down in person with the sales manager and see if you can get to the bottom of this fishy deal
The deal is certainly eating me. I planned on visiting tomorrow. I am just gonna have some phone calls with the guy today to determine whether it is even worth a visit.

BTW, super dumb question, within the warranty time, i can go to any bmw dealership right? RIGHT?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #19
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The deal is certainly eating me. I planned on visiting tomorrow. I am just gonna have some phone calls with the guy today to determine whether it is even worth a visit.

BTW, super dumb question, within the warranty time, i can go to any bmw dealership right? RIGHT?
Yes
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #20
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just called. The guy said it was a lease of one of the manager from the dealership and he leased another car. And he said since its a 2019, its too new to be a CPO.
Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #21
Tenac
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just called. The guy said it was a lease of one of the manager from the dealership and he leased another car. And he said since its a 2019, its too new to be a CPO.
Thoughts?
I think you have your answer right there with the lease. Ignore the CPO that doesn't mean much in the long run either.... I'd say go drive it look it over, I mean really look it over for anything that might be a miss and test out all the features. If you like buy IT.
2015 M235 Manual
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #22
Justinandwhat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think you have your answer right there with the lease. Ignore the CPO that doesn't mean much in the long run either.... I'd say go drive it look it over, I mean really look it over for anything that might be a miss and test out all the features. If you like buy IT.
Just wish I have a BMW service department friend to come with me lol. I am honestly a below-average driver and do not know what to look for. From my 2 days on the G05 forum, Ive came up with the following to check:

1) suspension damper since it has 22' wheels
2) cornering light, which seemed to be fixed by a software upgrade
3) steering wheel column that does not extend or retract

Anything else to check in general? Especially some easy spot to check to see if it's got any aftermarket stuff?

Thanks for all the help everybody! I was actually looking at the Merc CLA35 and GLE, but the enthusiasm of bimmer forum got me back honestly. the Merc forum was kinda dead to me.
Appreciate 0