BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-09-2020, 05:51 AM   #1
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

X5 45e chiptuning

First chip-tuning video's are starting to roll in.

I'm reluctant to chip-tune my X5 45e hybrid.

Yes, it's a down-tuned 40i. But as standard it works beautifully together with the electric drivetrain. I'm a bit scared that chip-tuning will make it a faster but 'less seamlessly' integrated.

Also the engine can charge the battery during driving as well. I'm wondering if, for the charging during driving, it uses the 'spare performance' of the down-tuned engine?

Any insights or other pro / cons?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 06:14 AM   #2
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post

Yes, it's a down-tuned 40i. But as standard it works beautifully together with the electric drivetrain. I'm a bit scared that chip-tuning will make it a faster but 'less seamlessly' integrated.

Also the engine can charge the battery during driving as well. I'm wondering if, for the charging during driving, it uses the 'spare performance' of the down-tuned engine?

Quote:

I'm planning to chiptune my 45e by BR Performance in Willebroek. They chipped all my previous cars. Everything is chipped within specs.

After chipping the engine runs much smoother, more torque and quicker response. That is my experience from previous chipped cars. That is more important to me than the extra HP.

I don't think it uses spare performance for charging, just the "actual" performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:02 AM   #3
bhe
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd
I'm planning to chiptune my 45e by BR Performance in Willebroek. They chipped all my previous cars. Everything is chipped within specs.

After chipping the engine runs much smoother, more torque and quicker response. That is my experience from previous chipped cars. That is more important to me than the extra HP.

I don't think it uses spare performance for charging, just the "actual" performance.
Didn't your dealer said anything when doing maintenance about the cip tuning with your previous car ? I have don it with other cars to, but only when they where out of warranty
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
isrodrig
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhe View Post
Didn't your dealer said anything when doing maintenance about the cip tuning with your previous car ? I have don it with other cars to, but only when they where out of warranty
I also remembered that since the moment you change the engine performance, the car warranty is void
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
lexieke
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5

some chip tuners apparently will guarantee the warranty via them... that's what my dealer told me at least
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #6
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

No. They don't see it with normal maintenance or repairs. They will only search for it when you blow up your engine 😀

There is also warranty from the chiptuner. And BMW must also prove that chiptuning is cause of the damage.
https://www.br-performance.be/nl-be/faq/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
lexieke
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5

So did you report it to your insurance and did you have it adapted?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexieke View Post
No never done that. I also never had engine or transmission problems.
Stage 1 is within engine specs.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #9
Jafayz
Private
Rep
Drives: X45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Wout
Keep me posted when you have applied the chiptuning!
In dubio for br performance pr heinz
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafayz View Post
Wout
I'm thinking about ADS Performance also. If I read their specs they say +200NM (800 NM) and +136HP (530 HP) in stage 1.

BR Perfomance is +100NM (700NM) and +56HP (450HP) in stage 1 according to their website.

That is quite a difference in stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:56 PM   #11
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

The thought that I have about this point that the ICE isn't always getting at working temperature especially if you don't do a long trip on the highway. Might it be a problem to release all this power on an engine that is not on proper working temperature. This may also be the reason they downgraded the 40i?
Appreciate 2
1230vani647.00
volodp196.50
      01-10-2020, 12:44 AM   #12
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:

The thought that I have about this point that the ICE isn't always getting at working temperature especially if you don't do a long trip on the highway. Might it be a problem to release all this power on an engine that is not on proper working temperature. This may also be the reason they downgraded the 40i?
I think it's never a good idea on releasing all the power on a cold engine. I can't imagine that would be the reason to downgrade the 40i engine. Only reason what seems logical to me is they downgraded it for better CO2 figures? But all the chiptuners say they will remain within emission specs.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:36 AM   #13
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I did report "chip-tuning" to my insurance company. It was no problem at all. The fee didn't even increase.

On my 330d I had the PPK installed by a German BMW concession. After installation a technical check was done by the German TUV.

BMW guaranteed the co2 emissions remained the same. So the base for taxing and registration also remained the same (in Dutch part of Belgium at least).

The insurance company told me that above 250pk it made no difference for them. So I registered the PPK tune with my insurance company as well.

Did >110.000km with it in 4.5 years. Never had any issues with it. My BMW garage took into account the upgrade during maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:40 AM   #14
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Wout
I will not tune my X5 45e as I'm planning on returning it to BMW.

With my previous cars I kept the 'buy back' option very low. With the X5 45e I did the opposite since I'm not convinced the residual value will be high in 4 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:58 AM   #15
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wout
I will not tune my X5 45e as I'm planning on returning it to BMW.

With my previous cars I kept the 'buy back' option very low. With the X5 45e I did the opposite since I'm not convinced the residual value will be high in 4 years.
Just chip it. Even when it goes back to BMW. After 4-5 years the car is heading towards the crusher 😂

When I sell or return a car I let the chiptuner remove the remapping and set it back to stock. They keep a backup of the original settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:46 AM   #16
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I did report "chip-tuning" to my insurance company. It was no problem at all. The fee didn't even increase.

On my 330d I had the PPK installed by a German BMW concession. After installation a technical check was done by the German TUV.

BMW guaranteed the co2 emissions remained the same. So the base for taxing and registration also remained the same (in Dutch part of Belgium at least).

The insurance company told me that above 250pk it made no difference for them. So I registered the PPK tune with my insurance company as well.

Did >110.000km with it in 4.5 years. Never had any issues with it. My BMW garage took into account the upgrade during maintenance.
Quote:
Quote:

My insurance company (KBC) tells me that "gelijkvormigheidsattest" also must be adjusted if this is reported??
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #17
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it's never a good idea on releasing all the power on a cold engine. I can't imagine that would be the reason to downgrade the 40i engine. Only reason what seems logical to me is they downgraded it for better CO2 figures? But all the chiptuners say they will remain within emission specs.
That is one of the issues I am having. I am driving on full electric most of the time. Once in a while I am first at a red light willing to do a little sprint but the engine is completely cold. I think the ICE hasn't been on for two weeks for example. So until now I have resisted doing this.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:08 AM   #18
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is one of the issues I am having. I am driving on full electric most of the time. Once in a while I am first at a red light willing to do a little sprint but the engine is completely cold. I think the ICE hasn't been on for two weeks for example. So until now I have resisted doing this.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ICE is completely off when you drive electric? ICE stays "cold"? It would be nice if it would get an operating temperature for in case you need it when driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #19
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Sorry to highjack this thread, but this triggers a question relevant to my use case. My daily commute is a 60km roundtrip with about 45km of that being highway (E19 ANT->BRU).
Would that be a scenario doable to drive fully electric each day? (assuming a 100% battery each morning of course) or does highway driving eat at the actual range too much in your experience?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 06:52 AM   #20
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Sorry to highjack this thread, but this triggers a question relevant to my use case. My daily commute is a 60km roundtrip with about 45km of that being highway (E19 ANT->BRU).
Would that be a scenario doable to drive fully electric each day? (assuming a 100% battery each morning of course) or does highway driving eat at the actual range too much in your experience?
I am making 50 to 55 km on highway at 100 to 110 km/h. Range increases with lower speed. I am assuming you would get by with minimal daily gas consumption.
Appreciate 1
pho116.00
      01-10-2020, 07:05 AM   #21
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I also thought about the same question for the same route 😀
In the morning or evening traffic jam or when you have to drive really slow for a long distance can this best be done electrically or on ICE?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #22
jonjo001
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i3s and G05 45e

Quote:
From my experience of Motorway driving, like the E19, the car is really good at recovering energy to the battery when the traffic ebbs and flows. I have started a journey with 25miles range and ended doing 32 miles on electric for instance. If you are just using electrical energy the whole time, I would still expect you to be able to most of the journey on electric. If you use SatNav each time and the car in Adaptive mode, it will know what the route is like and adjust energy usage to suit, such as retaining energy to use in a city, or knowing that a roundabout is coming up and being more active with recovery.
Appreciate 0