perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
I also thought about the same question for the same route 😀
In the morning or evening traffic jam or when you have to drive really slow for a long distance can this best be done electrically or on ICE?
In my admittedly short experience, electric is great in slow driving. I suppose it is not wasting energy on idling or bad efficiency in wrong RPM.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #24
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

X5 45e chiptuning

In traffic jam electric is best. The car will chose this anyway if you put in hybrid or adaptive. When on the highway above 100 - 110 it will chose the ICE. You can override this by putting it in electric uptil 130 km. So if you come back from Brussels and you see you still have 30 Km electric range left you could put it in electric and it will not use the ICE unless you accelerate hard. This way your battery will be empty on arrival. You can also put your trip botways in the navigation en it should try to arrive back home with an empty battery. But this didn't really work with me with a nearly all highway trip without traffic jam. I think 60 km highway might be to much on electric only. You can also take the a12 ? More traffic lights to do a sprintje
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #25
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W0ut View Post
First chip-tuning video's are starting to roll in.

I'm reluctant to chip-tune my X5 45e hybrid.

Yes, it's a down-tuned 40i. But as standard it works beautifully together with the electric drivetrain. I'm a bit scared that chip-tuning will make it a faster but 'less seamlessly' integrated.

Also the engine can charge the battery during driving as well. I'm wondering if, for the charging during driving, it uses the 'spare performance' of the down-tuned engine?

Any insights or other pro / cons?
The thought that I have about this point that the ICE isn't always getting at working temperature especially if you don't do a long trip on the highway. Might it be a problem to release all this power on an engine that is not on proper working temperature. This may also be the reason they downgraded the 40i?
I think it's never a good idea on releasing all the power on a cold engine. I can't imagine that would be the reason to downgrade the 40i engine. Only reason what seems logical to me is they downgraded it for better CO2 figures? But all the chiptuners say they will remain within emission specs.
That is one of the issues I am having. I am driving on full electric most of the time. Once in a while I am first at a red light willing to do a little sprint but the engine is completely cold. I think the ICE hasn't been on for two weeks for example. So until now I have resisted doing this.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
First chip-tuning video's are starting to roll in.

I'm reluctant to chip-tune my X5 45e hybrid.

Yes, it's a down-tuned 40i. But as standard it works beautifully together with the electric drivetrain. I'm a bit scared that chip-tuning will make it a faster but 'less seamlessly' integrated.

Also the engine can charge the battery during driving as well. I'm wondering if, for the charging during driving, it uses the 'spare performance' of the down-tuned engine?

The thought that I have about this point that the ICE isn't always getting at working temperature especially if you don't do a long trip on the highway. Might it be a problem to release all this power on an engine that is not on proper working temperature. This may also be the reason they downgraded the 40i?
I think it's never a good idea on releasing all the power on a cold engine. I can't imagine that would be the reason to downgrade the 40i engine. Only reason what seems logical to me is they downgraded it for better CO2 figures? But all the chiptuners say they will remain within emission specs.
That is one of the issues I am having. I am driving on full electric most of the time. Once in a while I am first at a red light willing to do a little sprint but the engine is completely cold. I think the ICE hasn't been on for two weeks for example. So until now I have resisted doing this.
ICE is completely off when you drive electric? ICE stays "cold"? It would be nice if it would get an operating temperature for in case you need it when driving.
That's what I mean. For the last week my ICE hasn't been on. So in an occasional sprint it would be completely cold. I don't think pre heating heats the ICE but just the battery and the passenger compartment.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #26
Jafayz
Private
Rep
Drives: X45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjo001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
Sorry to highjack this thread, but this triggers a question relevant to my use case. My daily commute is a 60km roundtrip with about 45km of that being highway (E19 ANT->BRU).
Would that be a scenario doable to drive fully electric each day? (assuming a 100% battery each morning of course) or does highway driving eat at the actual range too much in your experience?
From my experience of Motorway driving, like the E19, the car is really good at recovering energy to the battery when the traffic ebbs and flows. I have started a journey with 25miles range and ended doing 32 miles on electric for instance. If you are just using electrical energy the whole time, I would still expect you to be able to most of the journey on electric. If you use SatNav each time and the car in Adaptive mode, it will know what the route is like and adjust energy usage to suit, such as retaining energy to use in a city, or knowing that a roundabout is coming up and being more active with recovery.
I have mine for a week now and already had Quite some commute... 900 kms for now with quite some highways without that much of traffic jams ... 7,4 L /100 km by average . Quite pleased!
With regard to the insurance, quite strange they accept it as "gelijkvormigheidattest " has to be updated?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #27
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
That's what I mean. For the last week my ICE hasn't been on. So in an occasional sprint it would be completely cold. I don't think pre heating heats the ICE but just the battery and the passenger compartment.
Don't you think the ICE will get heat to get an operating temperature when you drive electrically. Just to prepare the engine for when it's needed so it's not really "cold"?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #28
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Don't you think the ICE will get heat to get an operating temperature when you drive electrically. Just to prepare the engine for when it's needed so it's not really "cold"?
I don't really know but it would be better indeed. There is no temperature meter in all electric mode. I know that cabin heating is electric en not on the ICE as in an conventional car. I had a 40e before and in that car the temp. meter didn't move when I was driving electric.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #29
Jafayz
Private
Rep
Drives: X45E

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't really know but it would be better indeed. There is no temperature meter in all electric mode. I know that cabin heating is electric en not on the ICE as in an conventional car. I had a 40e before and in that car the temp. meter didn't move when I was driving electric.
I believe dat we allemaal Nederlands kunnen spreken, veel Belgen hier in fiscale vriendelijke topic . Ik denk zelfs dat België bij de eerste landen was om de hybrid uit te leveren. Kunnen we zelfs apart topic over beginnen
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:31 PM   #30
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

Noorderbuur (NL) hier!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 02:52 PM   #31
W0ut
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
There is a temperature indicator in the 'sport view'. The one with the G power graph in the middle.

It works even when in full electric
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #32
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the tip. I think I will be doing quite some electric km tomorrow. I will see what happens to the engine temp. Ps in het Nederlands door gaan zal toch niet echt de bedoeling zijn op een Engels talig forum? Of kan dat?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:08 PM   #33
pho
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
You can also take the a12 ? More traffic lights to do a sprintje
This... Is a most excellent point that I didn't think about.
I took the A12 from where I used to live, but E19 is way more practical for me now (and faster even with the jams; A12 is no joke lately)

The amount of Belgians on here talking about a PHEV is an indication that the government(s) are at least getting the push towards green(er) company cars right
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50
      01-10-2020, 04:24 PM   #34
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X5 45e M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pho View Post
This... Is a most excellent point that I didn't think about.
I took the A12 from where I used to live, but E19 is way more practical for me now (and faster even with the jams; A12 is no joke lately)

The amount of Belgians on here talking about a PHEV is an indication that the government(s) are at least getting the push towards green(er) company cars right
If I remember correctly my dealer told me almost 900 had been ordered in Belgium already last August (so before they actually started making them) Not sure if that's true but if the amount of Belgian 45e owners on this forum is an indication he could have been right

I'm finally picking up mine next week
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #35
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I ordered mine in May. Longest wait ever for a car. But worth it. Have fun next week. One tip if you can't get connected to the Connected drive app because you don't get a confirmation number in idrive just call CD helpdesk and they can activated your app online. Took me 2 days of trying.
Appreciate 1
2REP20.50
      01-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #36
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

I talked to an engineer yesterday at the BMW event at the opening of the auto fair (autosalon) and he stated that for best charging you need to put it in Sport mode, which makes sense as you are not using the Electric engine, but he stated that the charging ratio in that mode is 1:1 , so 1 km electric range for each km driven in sports mode. Older models only achieved a 1:3 ratio. Of course this results in higher fuel consumption.

So would it be possible that tuning the engine and increasing the HP/Torque could result in lower consumption when driving in sports and charging the batteries (on long trips for example)

Just trying to find reasons to have mine tuned .. lol
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      01-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #37
2REP
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I ordered mine in May. Longest wait ever for a car. But worth it. Have fun next week. One tip if you can't get connected to the Connected drive app because you don't get a confirmation number in idrive just call CD helpdesk and they can activated your app online. Took me 2 days of trying.
Thanks for the tip Heading to the dealer tomorrow to already try and add it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #38
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2REP View Post
I talked to an engineer yesterday at the BMW event at the opening of the auto fair (autosalon) and he stated that for best charging you need to put it in Sport mode, which makes sense as you are not using the Electric engine, but he stated that the charging ratio in that mode is 1:1 , so 1 km electric range for each km driven in sports mode. Older models only achieved a 1:3 ratio. Of course this results in higher fuel consumption.

So would it be possible that tuning the engine and increasing the HP/Torque could result in lower consumption when driving in sports and charging the batteries (on long trips for example)

So if you drive 90km in sport mode you could charge the battery completely? So less than a hour driving for a complete charge or 7 hours in the plug? Maybe I will go for a sporty drive in the evening then

Did he say how much higher fuel consumption?

Good reasons are 530HP and 785NM
Appreciate 1
2REP20.50
      01-11-2020, 02:18 AM   #39
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2REP View Post
Quote:

Haha. Doesn't sound to me that you need to be convinced. But if makes you feel better : go for it.
Appreciate 1
2REP20.50
      01-11-2020, 03:48 AM   #40
perikifi
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e M Sport

Quote:
So if you drive 90km in sport mode you could charge the battery completely? So less than a hour driving for a complete charge or 7 hours in the plug? Maybe I will go for a sporty drive in the evening then

Did he say how much higher fuel consumption?

Good reasons are 530HP and 785NM
I just charged mine from 25 % to 90 % while driving 60 km this morning. Some city driving, some 80 km/h and some 60 km/h resulted in around 16 l/100km consumption (0 km electric). I will be driving back this afternoon to see if it goes electric all the way. And same thing tomorrow, will test gas only without charging to see how much charging adds to the consumption.

Note that it's not exactly Sport mode but rather Battery control mode, you make it sporty by tilting the gear selector to the left into M/S position. It keeps the RPM higher than normal, probably helping with the charging speed.
Appreciate 2
2REP20.50
X5 45e1090.50
      01-11-2020, 05:05 AM   #41
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There is a temperature indicator in the 'sport view'. The one with the G power graph in the middle.

It works even when in full electric
After 15 minutes electric drive. Temperature is 50 (or less)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:23 AM   #42
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post
I just charged mine from 25 % to 90 % while driving 60 km this morning. Some city driving, some 80 km/h and some 60 km/h resulted in around 16 l/100km consumption (0 km electric). I will be driving back this afternoon to see if it goes electric all the way. And same thing tomorrow, will test gas only without charging to see how much charging adds to the consumption.

Note that it's not exactly Sport mode but rather Battery control mode, you make it sporty by tilting the gear selector to the left into M/S position. It keeps the RPM higher than normal, probably helping with the charging speed.
16l that sounds very environmental and ecological
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 05:53 AM   #43
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by perikifi View Post

16l that sounds very environmental and ecological
From an ecological or financial point it wouldn't make sense indeed. Probably the only reason to charge up to 100% is like Wout mentioned for having a fully charged battery during skiing Holliday. I did the same three years ago in order to be able to do pre heating.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #44
Heavyd
Major
Rep

Quote:
From an ecological or financial point it wouldn't make sense indeed. Probably the only reason to charge up to 100% is like Wout mentioned for having a fully charged battery during skiing Holliday. I did the same three years ago in order to be able to do pre heating.
Yes, when I have the car and we go on summer holiday to Austria with the car electrical drive will be reduced to a minimum. Maybe occasional charging when driving. Consumption will go through the roof.
Appreciate 0