Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPuitG View Post
https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/05/24/b...5e-msrp-65400/

I thought this might shed some light...
It says deliveries later this year.

As a 45e owner i can recommend it, if you plug it in it is a great compromise between petrol and electric.
Quote:

As a 45e owner i can recommend it, if you plug it in it is a great compromise between petrol and electric.
+1

The instant torque makes it so smooth, especially when moving from standstill, that you really notice when you go back to a conventional ICE. Honestly I wouldn't swap it for any other engine in the range.

I spend almost all of the time in electric only. Combined with lockdown, I'm now worried about whether the fuel in the tank is going to spoil - I've still got a quarter of the full tank that the car was delivered with in early December.
Appreciate 1
volodp193.50
      05-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #24
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Does anyone know in the US if you need a 220V outlet to charge the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 11:35 AM   #25
PeterPuitG
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetriangle View Post
+1

The instant torque makes it so smooth, especially when moving from standstill, that you really notice when you go back to a conventional ICE. Honestly I wouldn't swap it for any other engine in the range.

I spend almost all of the time in electric only. Combined with lockdown, I'm now worried about whether the fuel in the tank is going to spoil - I've still got a quarter of the full tank that the car was delivered with in early December.
I now noticed that when driving full electric and you want some instant power, sliding the transmission into sport mode instantly starts the engine and the fun begins.
This is nice because i mostly drive in full electric mode because hyrbid requires a lot of right foot control, but occasionally you want power fast and switching drive modes requires more attention than hitting the lever to the left.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #26
bluetriangle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
+1

I now noticed that when driving full electric and you want some instant power, sliding the transmission into sport mode instantly starts the engine and the fun begins.
This is nice because i mostly drive in full electric mode because hyrbid requires a lot of right foot control, but occasionally you want power fast and switching drive modes requires more attention than hitting the lever to the left.
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Yes I find hybrid quite frustrating at times, too easy to accidentally switch the engine on.

Pulling either gear change lever on the steering wheel will also start the engine.
Appreciate 1
W0ut242.50
      05-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #27
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Not sure if it has been posted yet but here is the order guide for the 45e.
Is this really true that neither full Merino leather nor even the leather dashboard option is available for the 45e? Have these options been removed for all 2020 X5s or just the new 45e?

I have a 2017 40e coming off lease next month and am planning on the 45e as a replacement. I have the Nappa leather dashboard in the current vehicle and love it. It would be a real disappointment if it's not even available in the new model.

Perhaps this has to do with the move to a new seat supplier and affects all X5s? Because if BMW has made some assumption that the 45e is just for economy and environment minded people who won't buy more luxurous fittings, that would be a serious mistake.
In Europe you can order all options you order on an other g05. Don't know how it will be in the US

I have a leather dash on my 45e

Air suspension is standard. So this is the only suspension option.

Third row is not possible because of the battery. Same reason why automatic luggage cover is not available.

22 inch wheels and tow hook is not compatible. Seems to be a weight issue. No problem with 20 or 21 inch wheels.

Integral active steering is available. Really like it.

The 45e drives really well. I like the electric drive in town and if needed lots of power with the ICE. Real range in normal temperatures is around 70 km.

In had a f15 40e before. The difference is huge. 6 vs 4 cylinders. More comfort in comfort. More sport in sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:09 PM   #28
amphiprion
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
In Europe you can order all options you order on an other g05. Don't know how it will be in the US

Third row is not possible because of the battery. Same reason why automatic luggage cover is not available.

22 inch wheels and tow hook is not compatible. Seems to be a weight issue. No problem with 20 or 21 inch wheels.

The 45e drives really well. I like the electric drive in town and if needed lots of power with the ICE. Real range in normal temperatures is around 70 km.

In had a f15 40e before. The difference is huge. 6 vs 4 cylinders. More comfort in comfort. More sport in sport.
I appreciate the comparison to the F15 40e. I had one prior to the G05 40i and I really do miss the smooth, instant torque on take off and silent cruising (and being able to use all the charging parking spaces) It was also very rare to see a 40e so I enjoyed plenty of surprised looks as people saw the SAV pull away in complete silence.

I was probably getting 16 miles (25km) on a full charge and once the battery was fully depleted, I found the N20 engine was "just ok" but not quite up to the character of the X5.

Given these things, I am excited that the range has improved and it now runs on the B58, which is one hell of an engine. So I'll be looking to trade in for the 45e once the initial shakeout is done.

How long does it take to go from empty to full charge in your 45e?
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1077.00
      05-27-2020, 04:45 PM   #29
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphiprion View Post
Quote:

I appreciate the comparison to the F15 40e. I had one prior to the G05 40i and I really do miss the smooth, instant torque on take off and silent cruising (and being able to use all the charging parking spaces) It was also very rare to see a 40e so I enjoyed plenty of surprised looks as people saw the SAV pull away in complete silence.

I was probably getting 16 miles (25km) on a full charge and once the battery was fully depleted, I found the N20 engine was "just ok" but not quite up to the character of the X5.

Given these things, I am excited that the range has improved and it now runs on the B58, which is one hell of an engine. So I'll be looking to trade in for the 45e once the initial shakeout is done.

How long does it take to go from empty to full charge in your 45e?
For me it takes 10-12 hours but I just charge with the included home charger on a regular power socket. It had a 24 kw battery. 2.5 x as big as the 40e. The max charging is still 3,7 kw/h which is the lowest on the market. It doesn't really bother most drivers because you can usually charge it over night. For most drivers 70 km is enough to go to work and return home.

With a dedicated charging pole you can charge in 7-8 hours.

I had the same feeling with a depleted battery in the 40e. In the 45e it is completely different. It also takes longer to fully depleted it while driving in hybrid mode. The instant torque and smooth driving away is great indeed. Impossible to reproduce with diesel or petrol engines.

One thing driving away in complete silence is gone in Europe. It has obligatory pedestrian protection. A kind of space sound up to 30 km/h to warn pedestrians. You don't really hear it inside with closed windows.

It has a R6 but it is a down tuned B58. Max hp is 286. But still way better than the N20 experience. Max speed and 0-100 are similar between the 40i and 45e. 40i is actually a bit faster
Appreciate 1
      05-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #30
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
+1

Quote:
Quote:
+1

Yes I find hybrid quite frustrating at times, too easy to accidentally switch the engine on.

Pulling either gear change lever on the steering wheel will also start the engine.
If you put in electric or electric individual it stay all electric longer before switching the ICE on. You can go up to 40% of power in stead of 30% in hybride and it kind of hangs around 40% before turning on the ICE. This makes it easier to drive all electric. On the highway it will drive 130 km/h on electric in electric mode but just 110 in hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 08:50 PM   #31
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheseUncertainTimes View Post
Does anyone know in the US if you need a 220V outlet to charge the car?
I come at this a different way. Why would you want a plug in hybrid or all electric that didn't work off 220V? The battery sizes are just so large that 120V would be painstakingly slow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:28 AM   #32
bluetriangle
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you put in electric or electric individual it stay all electric longer before switching the ICE on. You can go up to 40% of power in stead of 30% in hybride and it kind of hangs around 40% before turning on the ICE. This makes it easier to drive all electric. On the highway it will drive 130 km/h on electric in electric mode but just 110 in hybrid.
Electric is definitely my favourite mode. In the UK the speed limit is 70mph, but BMW didn't adjust the max electric only speed in hybrid, so it will only go up to 68mph. It's a small thing but quite annoying at the same time.

I haven't seen the car switch the ICE on when running at 40% power in electric mode, but I don't run at max power very often or use kick down. The 45e has turned me into a relatively slow driver!

I've set Electric Individual as the default startup mode, but I do find that occasionally it reverts to Hybrid. Perhaps the car is telling me that it wants to run the ICE?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:05 AM   #33
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Electric is definitely my favourite mode. In the UK the speed limit is 70mph, but BMW didn't adjust the max electric only speed in hybrid, so it will only go up to 68mph. It's a small thing but quite annoying at the same time.

I haven't seen the car switch the ICE on when running at 40% power in electric mode, but I don't run at max power very often or use kick down. The 45e has turned me into a relatively slow driver!

I've set Electric Individual as the default startup mode, but I do find that occasionally it reverts to Hybrid. Perhaps the car is telling me that it wants to run the ICE?
Exactly the same here. I Am more relaxed driver in electric. And I am having the same thoughts about switching to hybride. Maybe the car tries to let the ICE turn on once in a while.

Max electric speed in 130 km/h (80 miles/h) in electric individual so that shouldn't be a problem. In hybrid it is 68 miles/h
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #34
Novus
Lurking Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 i3 REX

SA contacted me yesterday to notify me they had an allocation. My wife is super disappointed that the Ametrin Metallic isn't available on the 45e
Retired: 2010 E92 M3 LeMans Blue on Bamboo
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 05:03 PM   #35
MayorThis
Rep
Drives: M3

I saw the ordering guide posted, but has anyone seen the pricing guide yet? I talked with my SA and he said there are allocations out there, but he didn't having pricing info yet. Not sure how I'm supposed to use an allocation without a price. I imagine when the June programs get released on Monday they'll have the 45e included. Hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #36
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorThis View Post
I saw the ordering guide posted, but has anyone seen the pricing guide yet? I talked with my SA and he said there are allocations out there, but he didn't having pricing info yet. Not sure how I'm supposed to use an allocation without a price. I imagine when the June programs get released on Monday they'll have the 45e included. Hopefully.
Here you go, just got it.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf X5 xDrive45e MY2021 Pricing Guide.pdf (226.0 KB, 161 views)
Appreciate 1
mrracer45.00
      05-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #37
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorThis View Post
MayorThis , are your working with Burdick? I've gone there several times over the years for both BMW and VW's and have yet to have a positive experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #38
MayorThis
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for posting the price guide TurtleBoy!

I am going to be attempting to work with Burdick, but to be honest I haven’t heard great things either. We’ll see. If you have a suggestion for an SA at another dealer in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic I am perfectly fine going a distance to get the right deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:15 PM   #39
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
I don't know. Not sold 100% on powertrain and then no B&W and no rear seat entertainment. I think I will stick with gas only and DHP.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:26 PM   #40
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyfish007 View Post
Quote:
I don't know. Not sold 100% on powertrain and then no B&W and no rear seat entertainment. I think I will stick with gas only and DHP.
The 45e is not better than the 40i indeed for acceleration and max speed. Handeling probably bit worse because of the weight of the battery. No under trunk storage. No third row. Strange that B&W is not available in the US.

Most of us in Europe only drive it because of the huge difference in taxes. Not for fuel economy.

Some advantages only with the 45e: driving electric around town is relaxing. Instant torque for smooth driving away. Remote pre cooling and heating the interior.

It is more fuel efficient if you plug it in as much as possible. And it has a descent range.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 06:58 PM   #41
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
Most of us in Europe only drive it because of the huge difference in taxes. Not for fuel economy.
I believe due to the battery pack size of the 45e, it will qualify for the max tax credit of $7,500 in the US. So a lot of us will also probably get it for tax benefits.

However, the ordering guide doesn't make any sense. They don't offer B&W, soft closing doors or the cooled/heated cupholders. And then in the UK, they not only offer all of those, they also have the ambient air and display key. Something you can't even get on the 40i or 50i in the US. I hope the update the ordering guide because the B&W speakers have better sound quality and nice lighting inside them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #42
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
However, the ordering guide doesn't make any sense. They don't offer B&W, soft closing doors or the cooled/heated cupholders. And then in the UK, they not only offer all of those, they also have the ambient air and display key. Something you can't even get on the 40i or 50i in the US. I hope the update the ordering guide because the B&W speakers have better sound quality and nice lighting inside them.
I doubt that will change. The B&W is no longer available for the 40i, you need to get the M50 in order for it to be an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #43
sebseb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e

Quote:
I doubt that will change. The B&W is no longer available for the 40i, you need to get the M50 in order for it to be an option.
What? They removed it for 2021 MY? Cause it still shows up online when you build a sDrive 40i.

Well this is disappointing then.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #44
TurtleBoy
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebseb View Post
What? They removed it for 2021 MY? Cause it still shows up online when you build a sDrive 40i.

Well this is disappointing then.
Yes, they removed it for MY21.
Appreciate 0