Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

08-16-2016, 07:04 AM   #1
nineofspades
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SSII F80 M3

First Autocross

Had a blast... Came in 2nd/33 in the "Novice" class, although I'm pretty certain I had the fastest car in the "class". Missed first by a tenth, and badly messed up a turn on my fastest lap. (I tend to brake too late and have to deal with too much speed in the turn). All in all I'd recommend it to anyone, it's great way to learn to drive the car without really putting it at risk. *knock on wood*. Someone took a few pictures, and I thought I'd share.

Full album & credit: https://hmdbphotography.smugmug.com/...th-Event-81316
Results (Go easy on me, it was my first one):
https://scsportscar.com/solo/solo-re.../2016_e07/raw/
Appreciate 1
ATX_M3185.50
      08-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Looks fun, no video?

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #3
nineofspades
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Looks fun, no video?
No... I need to get a go-pro... Planning on doing another one this weekend. If I do I'll make sure I get a hold of one.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineofspades View Post
No... I need to get a go-pro... Planning on doing another one this weekend. If I do I'll make sure I get a hold of one.

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Nice job. What tires are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #6
nineofspades
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglo View Post
Nice job. What tires are you running?

Just the stock conti's right now. I hear one of the biggest upgrades you can do in autocross is tires. I'll have to look at what I can get away with and still stay in the stock class. Otherwise if I run R-compound I'm pretty sure that bumps you into the modified categories, and then it'd be tough to be competitive without going down a rabbit-hole of mods.

I know there was at least a second or two out there that I couldn't eek out, but the car was capable of. Seems like step 1 is learning how to drive .
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
The Choosey begger
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Just the stock conti's right now. I hear one of the biggest upgrades you can do in autocross is tires. I'll have to look at what I can get away with and still stay in the stock class. Otherwise if I run R-compound I'm pretty sure that bumps you into the modified categories, and then it'd be tough to be competitive without going down a rabbit-hole of mods.

I know there was at least a second or two out there that I couldn't eek out, but the car was capable of. Seems like step 1 is learning how to drive .
The RE–71R's are really close to the R-Comps, you can easily shave 2 seconds off your contis times on a 60 second course with the 71Rs.

And they are a single compound tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
nineofspades
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Because I promised you.... now to find a better camera angle I don't think this was my best run, but I didn't get them all on the gopro. I dropped ~1 second by really putting it to the floor on the back-side of the course... though I was still almost 3 seconds off the best times.

I kept thinking that my traction control was kicking in and cutting power down the first straight after the start. I could see my dash lighting up yellow, and it felt like i was losing power. Ran the first two in MDM mode, then switched it to full off for the third. When it still happened, it dawned on me that it wasn't traction control at all... I was running out of first gear and not shifting quick enough into second, therefore banging off the limiter. There was no power because there wasn't anything left for first to give. The yellow lights that I saw all lit up in my peripheral were just the shift-lights on the M-dash. You can hear it in the clip about 5 seconds in, I'm clearly out of first.

Real expert driver I am.

Last edited by nineofspades; 08-21-2016 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #9
Don N.
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Autox is a lot of fun. Started out doing driving events with the local BMW CCA autox clubs out here in California. Great for people who want to try out performance driving courses with their cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 11:16 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Because I promised you.... now to find a better camera angle I don't think this was my best run, but I didn't get them all on the gopro. I dropped ~1 second by really putting it to the floor on the back-side of the course... though I was still almost 3 seconds off the best times.

I kept thinking that my traction control was kicking in and cutting power down the first straight after the start. I could see my dash lighting up yellow, and it felt like i was losing power. Ran the first two in MDM mode, then switched it to full off for the third. When it still happened, it dawned on me that it wasn't traction control at all... I was running out of first gear and not shifting quick enough into second, therefore banging off the limiter. There was no power because there wasn't anything left for first to give. The yellow lights that I saw all lit up in my peripheral were just the shift-lights on the M-dash. You can hear it in the clip about 5 seconds in, I'm clearly out of first.

Real expert driver I am.

Nice!!!

Thank you for the vid

Appreciate 0