BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-25-2022, 06:12 PM   #45
CarFan78
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Acura RDX, Toyota Sequoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeemer View Post
I guess it depends on how much the electricity costs. I did a calculation comparing electric only(45e) vs gas only(40i). Electric only is roughly 1/3 the cost per mile on electric at my rate of 0.11 / kwh.
Thanks guys. My local gas right now is $2.75 a gallon but was around $4 most of the year here in Illinois. My electricity rates are 3 cents kw/hr. It seems like we could save a lot with the 45e considering we do mainly 20 to 40 miles of city driving a day.

Regarding the battery, if it goes out in the first 8 years is that covered by the manufacturer warranty?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:18 PM   #46
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

While renting a vehicle can work, to get one equivalent to an X5 will not be cheap. Plus, it's just pleasant to drive the 45e, and if I do decide I want to go somewhere, I don't worry about if I'll make it in EV mode or not...it will just turn on the ICE and I continue.

Given how much I currently drive, I could probably get by with just a cab on occasion, and a rental for longer trips, but it's nice to have the freedom to go where I want when I want without worrying if the thing is charged or not since I know I can find gas to fill it up and continue almost anywhere.

From an environmental point, depending on where your electricity is produced, it will likely be friendlier. Stationary power plants are more efficient than burning fossil fuels in an ICE even when you take into account transmission losses. And, as more people put in some solar cells, your reliance on fossil fuels goes away...most of the better panels are still good after 25-years, so they're not a short-term fix. The better ones today are in the 23-24% efficiency range, but in this past year, three experimental ones have provided over 30%, the best just this last week at 32.5%. Now, to get their longevity and producibility up will take a bit, but things are improving. Your budget panels are below 20%, and they have a steeper loss of efficiency, so really don't save much in the long-term.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:20 PM   #47
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFan78 View Post
Regarding the battery, if it goes out in the first 8 years is that covered by the manufacturer warranty?
The battery warranty is that it will produce at least 70% of the original capacity after 8-years, or the pack, or relevant cells will be replaced. That does not mean it's useless, it will just have less overall range and it's likely packs will be still useful as mass storage devices when aggregated together.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:31 PM   #48
CarFan78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The battery warranty is that it will produce at least 70% of the original capacity after 8-years, or the pack, or relevant cells will be replaced. That does not mean it's useless, it will just have less overall range and it's likely packs will be still useful as mass storage devices when aggregated together.
Thanks. And if the battery does go out, the replacement is around $1000?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:34 PM   #49
CarFan78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6ix GTA View Post
If the side skirts on an X5 are similar to the ones on X6 then I'd strongly suggest getting the running boards. My pants rub against the dirt prone side skirts every time I get in or out of our X6 and my kids use them as a step stool to climb in or or .
So the running boards may help pants from getting dirty? Would it also help entry into the car? My wife's mom has a hard time getting into taller vehicles so I thought the running board might offer a step for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:39 PM   #50
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Thanks. So you would not recommend the extra $500 for the wireless phone charger and mobile hotspot?
I set up my phone on its own charger mount so I can run dual nav. Now I use the wireless charge to keep the AirPods charged up in the car.

Last edited by RickObe; 12-25-2022 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:46 PM   #51
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Thanks. Again I am a newbie to some of these options available. I do not see air suspension or acoustic glass as an option on the 45e configurator. Am I missing something?
As eelnoraa said: no acoustic glass and air suspension standard. But ask your dealer for a copy of the Order Guide. That has much more detail on standard features and options than the configurator.

The latest copy of the 45e order guide that I have is attached. There may be a more current update.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 2023 BMW X5 45e Order Guide.pdf (397.3 KB, 131 views)
      12-25-2022, 06:47 PM   #52
wbeemer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 45EEEEEE

Quote:
Thanks guys. My local gas right now is $2.75 a gallon but was around $4 most of the year here in Illinois. My electricity rates are 3 cents kw/hr. It seems like we could save a lot with the 45e considering we do mainly 20 to 40 miles of city driving a day.

3cents / kwh? How
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #53
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
So the running boards may help pants from getting dirty? Would it also help entry into the car? My wife's mom has a hard time getting into taller vehicles so I thought the running board might offer a step for that.
Not in my experience. Also it’s super narrow and this is not a pickup truck so it’s not that far off of the ground. If the running board was wider it might be useful. It seems to be more of a trim piece than functional. Again, I’d let someone weigh in that has them and finds them functional.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 08:27 PM   #54
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The whole battery is considerably more than that! If it's out of warranty, it could just be a cell or two, and those can be replaced as a module (not individual cells) but by then, there may be aftermarket rebuilders, but BMW only replaces modules, not cells, when required from what I've heard.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 10:23 PM   #55
CarFan78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeemer View Post
3cents / kwh? How
Well I inquired a few months ago from our electric co-op and here is what they sent me:

Rate information:
1. Facilities charge: $35.00
2. On-peak rate: For all kWhs used between 14:00 to 19:00 (2:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.), Monday
through Friday.
a. All kilowatt-hours @ $0.185 per kWh
3. Off-peak rate: For all kWhs used between 19:00 to 14:00 (7:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.), Monday
through Friday. As well as all kWhs consumed on Saturday, Sunday and NERC holidays.
a. All kilowatt-hours @ $0.030 per kWh
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 10:43 PM   #56
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
$1000?!

the HV battery array consists of 12 modules, each with 16 battery cells, which equals 192 total cells. individual cells can’t be replaced, so even if one cell is defective or damaged, its entire module is replaced. (I had 1 defective cell found under recall back in Oct ‘21. the entire module was replaced.)

two guys in the EU each had their entire HV battery arrays replaced while under recall (warranty). they each noted $20-22k to replace as shown on their service ticket
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 10:31 AM   #57
kfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20-330e

I know the ICE is officially “detuned”, but on Youtube you can find a lot of dyno results between 430-450 HP stock.
The electric motor can add up to 100HP, so the ICE is about 340HP which is approximately the level of the 40i.
Mine was dynoed at 442HP, so 50HP over the claimed value.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #58
Scientifix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Well I inquired a few months ago from our electric co-op and here is what they sent me:

Rate information:
1. Facilities charge: $35.00
2. On-peak rate: For all kWhs used between 14:00 to 19:00 (2:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.), Monday
through Friday.
a. All kilowatt-hours @ $0.185 per kWh
3. Off-peak rate: For all kWhs used between 19:00 to 14:00 (7:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.), Monday
through Friday. As well as all kWhs consumed on Saturday, Sunday and NERC holidays.
a. All kilowatt-hours @ $0.030 per kWh
Wow this off peak rate is incredibly low! That translates to roughly about $1 per 60 miles with the X5 45e! (using 60 mpge from what we have mostly seen in these forums). That’s incredibly cheap in terms of fuel cost compared to gas. Comparing that to a gas vehicle of rated at 25 mpg, that’s equivalent to cost of gas being as low as 42 cents a gallon
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 10:16 PM   #59
CarFan78
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifix View Post
Wow this off peak rate is incredibly low! That translates to roughly about $1 per 60 miles with the X5 45e! (using 60 mpge from what we have mostly seen in these forums). That’s incredibly cheap in terms of fuel cost compared to gas. Comparing that to a gas vehicle of rated at 25 mpg, that’s equivalent to cost of gas being as low as 42 cents a gallon
Thanks. It defnitely seems like a good deal to me too!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 10:45 PM   #60
lenox80
Rep
Drives: Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
$1000?!

the HV battery array consists of 12 modules, each with 16 battery cells, which equals 192 total cells. individual cells can’t be replaced, so even if one cell is defective or damaged, its entire module is replaced. (I had 1 defective cell found under recall back in Oct ‘21. the entire module was replaced.)

two guys in the EU each had their entire HV battery arrays replaced while under recall (warranty). they each noted $20-22k to replace as shown on their service ticket
Do you have concerns about this years down the line? I drove an X5 today and loved it, but there were no PHEV's on the lot, so I don't know what braking feels like with a regenerative braking system. If I have someone in the car with me that has had spinal issues, how would the braking compare to standard?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 11:23 PM   #61
ksavostin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5-45e

Quote:

Keep in mind that the X5 is a completely different vehicle when running on ICE and EV. The effects of operating a 5600-pound vehicle with a 100-horsepower engine should be taken into account. The car is slow and accelerates much more slowly than on ICE, so there is no fun. It is up to you if that factor is important. Additionally, heating your interior during the winter on a 45e will cost you extra money while it is free on a 40i, same as cooling in summertime.

Last edited by ksavostin; 12-26-2022 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 02:23 AM   #62
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

ksavostin is unfamiliar with the 45e, or he wouldn't be saying that!

Running in hybrid mode, if you push the pedal far enough, it will seamlessly turn the ICE on, and with the added power of the EV motor, the power:weight ratios between the 45e and 40i are identical, but the 45e has an initial benefit since the EV motor's torque starts at zero RPM, so from stop. While the turbo boosts the torque of both engines, it doesn't start from stop. In reality, unless you have a lead foot and want to always be the first one across the intersection from a stop, you may not need the ICE on for normal running around town. On an entrance ramp to a highway or maybe cruising, especially up a hill, the ICE will turn on automatically. If you choose to run in EV mode versus hybrid, you have to press harder to get the ICE on, but it still will come on, but much later.

All HVAC functions are battery driven since they're electrical, so yes, they affect range. An advantage to the 45e is that you can precondition the cabin while parked in your garage (or anywhere) safely, since it doesn't ever use the engine for that, and if done while still plugged in, not affect your range or health from CO emissions.
Appreciate 3
RickObe93.00
fan2593.50
      12-27-2022, 08:05 AM   #63
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenox80 View Post
Do you have concerns about this years down the line? I drove an X5 today and loved it, but there were no PHEV's on the lot, so I don't know what braking feels like with a regenerative braking system. If I have someone in the car with me that has had spinal issues, how would the braking compare to standard?
sorry, i'm confused about your inquiry. my post talked about the out-of-warranty costs to replace the high voltage battery. i spoke nothing about the regenerative braking system.

but to answer your question, no, i have no concerns about the HV battery's longevity because i won't be keeping it longer than 8 years when it's out of warranty. until then, if the HV battery goes bad, so be it; it's under warranty.

as for the braking system, coasting will feel different than a non-regenerative braking system. folk have had passengers complain of getting car sick due to the system's resistive feeling. you can make adjustments to the way you let go of or lighten pedal pressure or not. i don't release the pedal completely and suddenly like i used to with traditional coasting vehicles. i release it gradually.

regenerative braking won't affect your passenger's spinal condition. letting go of the brake pedal doesn't induce a scenario of fully pressing on the brake pedal, but the vehicle does slow down faster than traditional coasting vehicles. if you don't care for regenerative braking, there is one drive mode that coasts traditionally, Hybrid Eco Pro.
Appreciate 1
RickObe93.00
      12-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #64
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
ksavostin is unfamiliar with the 45e, or he wouldn't be saying that!
he is familiar with the 45e. he's up in Alaska and found out after-the-fact that the high electric rates aren't advantageous over fuel, so he has mostly negative things to say about that and other things he's see as 'limitations'. plus, he doesn't compromise his driving style to fit the PHEV design. i don't blame him; it appears just a poor purchase decision, though his comments do come across a bit troll-like sometimes
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #65
lenox80
Rep
Drives: Honda Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
sorry, i'm confused about your inquiry. my post talked about the out-of-warranty costs to replace the high voltage battery. i spoke nothing about the regenerative braking system.

but to answer your question, no, i have no concerns about the HV battery's longevity because i won't be keeping it longer than 8 years when it's out of warranty. until then, if the HV battery goes bad, so be it; it's under warranty.

as for the braking system, coasting will feel different than a non-regenerative braking system. folk have had passengers complain of getting car sick due to the system's resistive feeling. you can make adjustments to the way you let go of or lighten pedal pressure or not. i don't release the pedal completely and suddenly like i used to with traditional coasting vehicles. i release it gradually.

regenerative braking won't affect your passenger's spinal condition. letting go of the brake pedal doesn't induce a scenario of fully pressing on the brake pedal, but the vehicle does slow down faster than traditional coasting vehicles. if you don't care for regenerative braking, there is one drive mode that coasts traditionally, Hybrid Eco Pro.
Thank you for the thoughtful answer. The Eco Pro sounds like a great solution in case the regenerative braking causes an issue. I just can’t find one to test drive and if I know it can be a feature that’s shut off.. it helps close off one risk corridor.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #66
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenox80 View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful answer. The Eco Pro sounds like a great solution in case the regenerative braking causes an issue. I just can’t find one to test drive and if I know it can be a feature that’s shut off.. it helps close off one risk corridor.
“risk corridor”

what risk? from the regenerative braking system? how do you mean?

no, regenerative braking can’t be disabled, but the only way to get traditional coasting is to drive in Hybrid Eco Pro mode

speaking to the pedal feel itself when braking… it’s normal; there’s nothing special just because it’s a regenerative system. not to offend, but you do know how a regenerative braking system functions and its purpose, correct?
Appreciate 0