BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-08-2020, 10:23 PM   #177
taybo20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xdrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyhank82 View Post
Mostly electric individual although if I am driving longer distance (20 miles or more) I use the navigation and select adaptive to optimize the EV use.
Thanks moodyhank82!
Appreciate 1
pho116.00
      12-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #178
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taybo20 View Post
What mode do you drive in? Electric individual?
Mostly electric individual although if I am driving longer distance (20 miles or more) I use the navigation and select adaptive to optimize the EV use.
Nice range! And the 45e seems to be a good choice for you, almost everything done on electric.

The last time I saw a gas station was in august and I have done 2200 Km and have 90% fuel left.

If my trip is within my electric range I drive in electric individueel and if it exceeds my range in drive in adaptive like you do.

It stays in electric mode longer in EI mode, in adaptive the ICE turns on easier.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #179
Mothetgoo
Rep
Drives: 2016 Volvo XC90

Can anyone in the US describe a bit how the charging works at different levels? I have read in the manual that you can set the charge amperage at lower than 16a (16a is the max, I believe). In fact, I believe that the vehicle comes with the charging amperage set to the lowest setting. In the lowest setting on a 110v, regular outlet, how long does it take the vehicle to charge? What are the different amperage settings (i.e., can you set it at any number below 16, or are there different options, like, 8, 12, etc.)?

I am looking to understand what to do if I plug in to a regular outlet that I find somewhere. There are a few places where I anticipate charging from a regular outdoor wall outlet. If I don't know anything about the outlet (say, for example, that its old or something?) should I set the amperage to a lower speed? I know a standard outlet is rated for 15 amps, but does anyone know if it is safer to set the charging below that rate?
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 07:43 AM   #180
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5 45e View Post
Nice range! And the 45e seems to be a good choice for you, almost everything done on electric.

The last time I saw a gas station was in august and I have done 2200 Km and have 90% fuel left.

If my trip is within my electric range I drive in electric individueel and if it exceeds my range in drive in adaptive like you do.

It stays in electric mode longer in EI mode, in adaptive the ICE turns on easier.
Yes, the EV range covers most of our daily driving even if we have a day with multiple trips with no charging in between the stops. In electric individual mode, even flooring the car for a few seconds does not turn on the engine so for merging, adaptive is the better choice.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #181
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
In electric individual mode, even flooring the car for a few seconds does not turn on the engine so for merging, adaptive is the better choice.
That is correct, that is a situation when all electric isn't powerful enough. I still keep it in all electric if my highway trip is short enough. Just because I don't want the ICE to turn on just for half a minute and it is kind of a sport keeping it in electric only. But it is really to slow to merge. Once on highway speed it is ok.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #182
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finito84 View Post
I am amazed at those of you with over 40 miles moodyhank82 or @FLYIN' even after the software update.

I had my 45e for a little more than couple of weeks and always shown under 30 miles of electric range. I use the a/c, seat massage, seat warmer, etc. but still is 25% less battery than other forum members.
You are not alone - max I see is 29 miles at 100 % charge. And I dont see how it could go up
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #183
aceman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 550ix, 2008 Corvette

The electric range is as other's have said dependent on your drive (city vs hwy) and your driving habits. What are your avg speed and avg miles/kw?
I am consistantly getting 34-38, 2.1 miles /kw since i picked up the truck, along w/ avg speed of 41mph.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 09:35 PM   #184
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

There's no reason to drop the X5's max charging rate unless the place where you plug in is sharing its socket with other things. The EVSE you use will send a signal that says how much power in amps it can supply, and then the X5 will limit how much is draws from it to that maximum.

FWIW, the supplied device is 10A and it works just fine.

At 10A, and 120vac, it could take nearly a day to refill a depleted X5 battery. If you needed it sooner, you'd probably want a larger unit. Using a 16A, 240 vac device, 6-7 hours usually recharges it fully. Power = volts * amps and the vehicle is limited to 3700W/hr, and way less if the EVSE can't handle it (the vehicle automatically adjusts to what's coming in). The internal wiring is limited by the amps, not the power, so that's why it's limited to 16A.

FWIW, a 120-vac input is less efficient than a 240-vac one, so you'll waste some energy doing it at 120-vac rather than 240-vac...you'll lose more in heat than actual power put into the batteries.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #185
acsnaz
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

Max Ev Range

Did a 59 miles journey, managed to get 57.6 miles on Electric and 1.5miles on petrol. I was impressed. This was in London, thats why the journey time is 2 hours 40 minutes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      12-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #186
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsnaz View Post
Did a 59 miles journey, managed to get 57.6 miles on Electric and 1.5miles on petrol. I was impressed. This was in London, thats why the journey time is 2 hours 40 minutes.
Nice 👍. My max so far is 86 km. Your average speed is also quite low probably this is why you got so many miles. This is the kind of traffic that is ideal for a PHEV.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #187
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
happy to come across this page! i just picked up my 45e a week ago. my daily commute is ~20 miles round trip. i've not been able to get a full "tank" of battery since my first drive because i'm using the charger supplied with the vehicle and don't have 22+h in between work days to fully charge, so the ICE has kicked in some, but even then i'm already seeing more MPGe than the mpg on my previous 2015 supercharged Audi Q7. i've used ~15% of fuel whereas with my old Audi after one week of work commute, i've used ~35-40% of fuel.

i'm getting a 240V outlet installed next week, so i'm excited my daily commutes will be all-electric. i'm currently running HYBRID mode, but will likely switch to EI after the new charger install.

so far, the most electric range i've seen my car display on a full charge is 34mi. it's currently stating 31mi @ 100%. i have no climatize settings programmed, though i do use heated seats and steering wheel with thermostat @ 69ºF.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 12-26-2020 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
X5 45e1090.50
      12-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #188
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

If you haven't already, go into the iDrive menu and change the charge rate from the (default) 6A to 16A (the max the vehicle can accept or try to pull). The X5 (and any other EV) won't try to pull more than the device says it has, but the one supplied is only a 10A device...might as well get it charged faster.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      12-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #189
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
just last night, the car's showing a 36-mile electric range after charging from 9% to 100%. could this be due to a "break in" period with the high voltage battery as others have postulated, adapting to a more efficient driving style, both?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:17 PM   #190
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Temperature, your driving style, how fast you go, what electrical loads like seat heaters, rear window defroster, cabin heating, fan speed, lights, etc. and how much stop and go versus highway all play into how far you can go in any vehicle, but more so with a hybrid. Cabin heating can't (at least initially) come from waste heat from the engine, as it doesn't turn that on during the conditioning in the X5 45e. That will all affect the ultimate range with the batteries.

The vehicle is heavy and regeneration will never recover 100% when you slow, so a steady speed is important. Going up a hill will drain more power than on the flat, and drag goes up rapidly as you go faster.

As sold in the USA, the initial EV range is defaulted to 30-miles. It will revert to that if you get an OTA update as well. Whatever is currently says is a projection that the conditions will be EXACTY the same as they were, which is often not the case, but it is constantly monitoring what's going on, and updating the readou to account for changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:40 PM   #191
ChrisBS
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, Mini Countryman SE

Charge speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
If you haven't already, go into the iDrive menu and change the charge rate from the (default) 6A to 16A (the max the vehicle can accept or try to pull). The X5 (and any other EV) won't try to pull more than the device says it has, but the one supplied is only a 10A device...might as well get it charged faster.
Believe that only applies to 110 charging. 220 is auto-negotated - and you can't set it up or down. Could be wrong but that's my understanding so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:43 PM   #192
ChrisBS
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, Mini Countryman SE

Our experience - we've filled the tank once. We have about 1800 miles so far. The range we get is about 1,000 on a tank before we refill it with about 8-10 gallons (on the first one). On track for that or less gas on second tank. Generally average about 40 mph - and usual projected range is 36-43 miles in the USA - northeast where it's turned cold. Real electric range in the cold is probably closer to 30 - when warm weather over 40 - miles. No babying. Just drive it.
Appreciate 1
popper42.00
      12-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #193
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBS View Post
Believe that only applies to 110 charging. 220 is auto-negotated - and you can't set it up or down. Could be wrong but that's my understanding so far.
The EVSE sends out a pilot signal that indicates how much power it has. It's then up to the vehicle to not ever try to pull more than the EVSE says. This works with any EVSE. I don't remember the menu indicating the lower power only works with level 1, but that could be. But regardless, unless your EVSE is sharing its circuit with something, there's no practical reason to limit the charging rate, so setting it to maximum (16A) can only help.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4656.00
      12-30-2020, 03:09 AM   #194
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
As sold in the USA, the initial EV range is defaulted to 30-miles. It will revert to that if you get an OTA update as well. Whatever is currently says is a projection that the conditions will be EXACTY the same as they were, which is often not the case, but it is constantly monitoring what's going on, and updating the readou to account for changes.
The EV range on mine is weird. Range was 79 km (49 miles). I drove 57 km (35 miles) and had 3 km (about 2 miles) of battery left (so I got only 60 km or 37.5 miles). After recharging the car, My BMW reports EV range of 94 km (almost 59 miles). The predicted numbers seem pretty unrealistic to me.

This is in Europe.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #195
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:
The EV range on mine is weird. Range was 79 km (49 miles). I drove 57 km (35 miles) and had 3 km (about 2 miles) of battery left (so I got only 60 km or 37.5 miles). After recharging the car, My BMW reports EV range of 94 km (almost 59 miles). The predicted numbers seem pretty unrealistic to me.

This is in Europe.
Yes it all depends on the last driven Km and outside temp.

The predicted range on the dash doesn't help you.

I just take these distances:

For driving on the highway and cold temperatures it is around 60 km range all electric.

For driving on 50-70 km/h roads I have seen 80-85 km on a single charge. Max 50 km/h 25 degrees. On average in my experience it is around 70 km.

Cold temperatures really reduce the range.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:08 PM   #196
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Cold temperatures, with all of the potential heating elements in the X5 (seats, armrests, cabin, rear window, mirrors) can really suck down the battery capacity. Preconditioning while on the EVSE prior to leaving can help. Short trips when it cools off in between are the worst, especially if you tell it to keep the HVAC on while you run an errand in the store.

The prediction is based on the previous miles, and assumes you're going to do exactly the same thing under exactly the same conditions...that rarely happens. Unlike an ICE, where heat is a waste product that has little to do with the efficiency of the engine, in a hybrid, without the engine running, any heat comes out of the batteries, so cold temperatures will have a more severe effect on your range.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #197
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

Quote:
Cold temperatures, with all of the potential heating elements in the X5 (seats, armrests, cabin, rear window, mirrors) can really suck down the battery capacity. Preconditioning while on the EVSE prior to leaving can help. Short trips when it cools off in between are the worst, especially if you tell it to keep the HVAC on while you run an errand in the store.

The prediction is based on the previous miles, and assumes you're going to do exactly the same thing under exactly the same conditions...that rarely happens. Unlike an ICE, where heat is a waste product that has little to do with the efficiency of the engine, in a hybrid, without the engine running, any heat comes out of the batteries, so cold temperatures will have a more severe effect on your range.
If the car saw that I could only drive less than 60 km on a charge, why does it think it would be possible to drive 94 km the next day? :-) The temperature is same, the road is the same.. I use preconditioning with the 10 A charger connected (but it seems 10 A is not enough as the car is slowly discharging the battery during preconditioning).

I guess I should charge it up and hit to road and see if the range really is much better or if the car is just lying to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:31 PM   #198
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
Quote:

If the car saw that I could only drive less than 60 km on a charge, why does it think it would be possible to drive 94 km the next day? :-) The temperature is same, the road is the same.. I use preconditioning with the 10 A charger connected (but it seems 10 A is not enough as the car is slowly discharging the battery during preconditioning).

I guess I should charge it up and hit to road and see if the range really is much better or if the car is just lying to me.
Don't trust the predicted range. The car doesn't think. Just use:

60 km on highway
70 km 70-90 km/h roads
75 - 80 on 50 km/h roads

All less when it's cold

And it unexpected lower you still have the ICE

Can they do a better job? Yes: just take the average since factory to calculate the range after charging and adjust while driving.

Same fir the range on fuel. If you drive electric a lot it gradually increases to 1000 km and more. Once you turn the ICE it goes down rapidly. Better use the average mpg on fuel since factory to calculate the range on fuel.
Appreciate 1