BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-09-2023, 11:19 AM   #23
COKen
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Rster / Z4 M40i / X5 M50i

Using the upper button on the end of the turn signal stalk to scroll through the options for different dash displays. One of them has the current gear displayed prominently.
Appreciate 1
RickObe93.00
      03-09-2023, 02:21 PM   #24
switchguy
Rep
Drives: '23 X5 40i, '16 Acura TLX

I think we should also use the setting to turn off music when stop button is pressed. This way we will be attentive to any beeps/chimes when P is not pressed and the door is opened. I will do that today myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2023, 06:34 PM   #25
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X545e

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchguy View Post
I think we should also use the setting to turn off music when stop button is pressed. This way we will be attentive to any beeps/chimes when P is not pressed and the door is opened. I will do that today myself.
Where is that setting hiding?
      03-09-2023, 07:28 PM   #26
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickObe View Post
Where is that setting hiding?
That is a good question, we have never seen a setting like that as far as I know. The closest is turning of the electronics when the door is opened.
      03-10-2023, 04:20 AM   #27
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The closest is turning off the electronics when the door is opened.
I have that setting engaged. At least I think I do...I think it's actually turn off (the car) when door opened.

The thing I've not been able to figure out is that while most of the time my music/podcast stops when I open the door, on occasion it does not. Media source is iPhone bluetooth without CarPlay. Annoying when it's a podcast and I end up missing the time it kept playing. I haven't been able to figure out what conditions cause it to continue (even though the car has turned off (dropped out of ready mode)).
      03-10-2023, 06:50 AM   #28
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
The closest is turning off the electronics when the door is opened.
I have that setting engaged. At least I think I do...I think it's actually turn off (the car) when door opened.

The thing I've not been able to figure out is that while most of the time my music/podcast stops when I open the door, on occasion it does not. Media source is iPhone bluetooth without CarPlay. Annoying when it's a podcast and I end up missing the time it kept playing. I haven't been able to figure out what conditions cause it to continue (even though the car has turned off (dropped out of ready mode)).
that setting works on the understanding that you press the Start/Stop button to end your trip before opening the door. (do not press the brake pedal when doing so.)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 07:16 AM   #29
DonKeedic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackfalcon View Post
Let the comments commence.

https://youtu.be/CMLxSQF-eOE
I want to see the video when your wife turns around and realizes her car is missing!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 09:22 AM   #30
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:

No, that setting does not turn off the engine. It is for turning off the electronics.
RickObe93.00
      03-10-2023, 10:13 AM   #31
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

I have Auto Hold enabled most of the time. When I park the car, I use brakes to stop and Auto Hold engages. Then I unbuckle the seat belt, open the door, and the parking brake is automatically engaged. I step out, close the door, lock the car and the car shuts down. There's no way it could roll away. I never touch the gear selector, parking brake, or the start/stop button.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 11:30 AM   #32
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by neocryte View Post
Exactly this. I didn't know you could open the door without it automatically going into Park. Maybe if you put it in Neutral first, it doesn't switch to Park automatically when you open the door??
Those of us who have been driving for decades are used to moving the gearshift to engage Park. Pushing a button is unfamiliar. It's a conscious act and unsurprising if someone just reflexively moves the shifter into N after a lifetime of getting to P that way.

My car probably chimed when I opened the door with N engaged, but my car chimes all the time and it's the same chime whether the temperature is 37 degrees or someone's about to smash into me.

Good suggestion about the display of the current gear. For something so important the default isn't prominent enough. I will change that ASAP.
Appreciate 1
playswcars3633.50
      03-10-2023, 12:54 PM   #33
Bking60
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by biterror View Post
I have Auto Hold enabled most of the time. When I park the car, I use brakes to stop and Auto Hold engages. Then I unbuckle the seat belt, open the door, and the parking brake is automatically engaged. I step out, close the door, lock the car and the car shuts down. There's no way it could roll away. I never touch the gear selector, parking brake, or the start/stop button.
Good idea. Do you have to press auto hold every time you enter the car, or does it retain the setting?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 01:07 PM   #34
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bking60 View Post
Good idea. Do you have to press auto hold every time you enter the car, or does it retain the setting?
It retains the setting.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:05 PM   #35
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

FWIW, the parking pawl is not the ideal way to help ensure the vehicle won't move. It is, and has been almost forever, the parking brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 03:29 PM   #36
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
It retains the setting.
I was skeptical of the autohold setting, and thought it would be annoying in situations where I didn't want to come to a full stop. But It's good about not engaging until the vehicle is fully stationary, and acts like the hill hold feature I had on a prior Audi. I love that I can take my foot off the brake at longer stop lights without having to shift gears, and the incidental safety advantage of it flipping on the parking break automatically when you exit the car is just icing on the cake. I never plan to turn it off.
Appreciate 2
      03-10-2023, 06:18 PM   #37
rmorin1249
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Until recently most floor mounted automatic transmission were placed in Park by moving the shifter forward. The current BMW setup requires the push of a button instead. Moving the shifter forward puts the transmission in Reverse. Hmmm?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2023, 08:41 PM   #38
NoTorqueSteer
Rep
Drives: 335

This exact thing happened to my dad. He swore he put it into park and got out of the vehicle which sat in place long enough for him to walk to the gate to open it up (He was dropping off his RV). The X5 started rolling behind him and it smashed him against the chain link fence. He was lucky he had his phone in him because he couldn't get it off of him and no one is permanently at the lot.

When I got there I jumped in and it was in neutral not park. Got the vehicle moved off of him and by that time the ambulance was there and took him to the hospital where he needed surgery on a massive hemoglobin that formed on his leg.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 03:58 AM   #39
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
is this true? in my admittedly limited experience with Auto Hold, I’ve never seen it automatically engage the parking brake.

i mentioned this in another thread that the color of the PARK indication on the instrument cluster determines which brake is engaged: a green PARK indicates Auto Hold is holding the vehicle using the disc brakes while a red PARK indicates the parking brake is holding the vehicle.

when you say the parking brake is automatically engaged, can you confirm it’s a red PARK on the cluster and the red LED on the parking brake switch is lit? I couldn’t replicate your scenario above; Auto Hold held my vehicle, and the parking brake didn’t automatically engage (red LED on the parking brake switch wasn’t lit).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 04:46 AM   #40
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, that setting does not turn off the engine. It is for turning off the electronics.
Do you recall where that setting is located. I don't recall seeing it when I went thru every setting during setup.
      03-11-2023, 04:57 AM   #41
RickObe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
As a matter of personal preference, I find auto hold annoying because I want the car to slowly start moving when I release the foot brake in situations such as slowly moving up in traffic or pulling out of my garage.

When I'm at a stoplight and want to take my foot off the brake, I just manually engage the parking brake. When it's time to go, light pressure on the accelerator automatically releases it. That's essentially just like auto-hold but without the automatic engagement at each stop.
      03-11-2023, 05:27 AM   #42
biterror
Captain
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
is this true? in my admittedly limited experience with Auto Hold, I’ve never seen it automatically engage the parking brake.

i mentioned this in another thread that the color of the PARK indication on the instrument cluster determines which brake is engaged: a green PARK indicates Auto Hold is holding the vehicle using the disc brakes while a red PARK indicates the parking brake is holding the vehicle.

when you say the parking brake is automatically engaged, can you confirm it’s a red PARK on the cluster and the red LED on the parking brake switch is lit? I couldn’t replicate your scenario above; Auto Hold held my vehicle, and the parking brake didn’t automatically engage (red LED on the parking brake switch wasn’t lit).
Yes, the red LED on the parking brake switch is lit. The car also engages P automatically.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4655.00
      03-11-2023, 05:57 AM   #43
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
As a matter of personal preference, I find auto hold annoying because I want the car to slowly start moving when I release the foot brake in situations such as slowly moving up in traffic or pulling out of my garage.
Autohold in newer BMWs seems to have different behavior than mine. Not sure if they would implement this in LCI.

I was given a new 3 series while my X5 was in service.
The new Autohold would not engage with light brake pressure even when the car is in complete stop. You have to depress the brake pedal further, even slightly, for the Autohold to engage.
This is quite similar to my previous Mercedes which did not have an autohold button.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2023, 09:51 PM   #44
Chonkapotamus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Yes, the red LED on the parking brake switch is lit. The car also engages P automatically.

I can confirm, my autohold works this way if you hit the power off button while in drive but at a full stop. This is how I shut my car down when arriving in my garage every night.
Appreciate 0