01-18-2024, 02:55 PM   #23
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAu View Post
How does this compare to the OEM ones here - https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...w2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Isn't it cheaper to buy the OEM one? No fit kit to worry about?
Discussed many times. Oem is cheaper (2/3-1/2) slightly higher (1/4”) and only comes in silver.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 01-18-2024 at 07:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
MattAu19.50
      01-19-2024, 10:49 AM   #24
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

I didn't get the OEM bars because I do not like the silver color, even if it's mostly hidden up on the roof.
      01-19-2024, 02:10 PM   #25
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlights View Post
I have mine already installed so hard to tell the length but unlike other Fitkits this one connects to the bars with just one center bolt per side. I will check tomorrow to see I can determine the length. Iirc these were M6.

Instructions (use pictures showing center bolt) https://static.summitracing.com/glob...hu-kit4023.pdf

Edit: You can see the bolt in the center
If you rotate the inner piece, then it will line up with TWO bolt holes. That should be more secure and it will have a different torque requirement too (4 Nm for the two bolt arrangement or 6 Nm for one bolt).

The instructions you linked to show these two configurations--although Thule instructions are about as clear as an IKEA booklet, LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 04:01 PM   #26
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
If you rotate the inner piece, then it will line up with TWO bolt holes. That should be more secure and it will have a different torque requirement too (4 Nm for the two bolt arrangement or 6 Nm for one bolt).

The instructions you linked to show these two configurations--although Thule instructions are about as clear as an IKEA booklet, LOL
You are correct about these instructions being clear as mud, however the center bolt also connects the fitkit to the bar. If the side bolts are used then I couldn't figure out a way to connect fitkit to the bar (I never thought of reversing the fitkit).

Also, the claws fit the flushed rail better if they are in the single bolt orientation instead of being reversed

I will try reverse next time I take the roof bars off.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      01-19-2024, 04:01 PM   #27
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
I didn't get the OEM bars because I do not like the silver color, even if it's mostly hidden up on the roof.
Yes. Oem silver stand out quite a bit with dark color and with shadow trim.

I wonder if we can hard anodize the Al into black, and what would that cost.
      01-19-2024, 05:01 PM   #28
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Quote:
You are correct about these instructions being clear as mud, however the center bolt also connects the fitkit to the bar. If the side bolts are used then I couldn't figure out a way to connect fitkit to the bar (I never thought of reversing the fitkit).

Also, the claws fit the flushed rail better if they are in the single bolt orientation instead of being reversed

Hmmm... maybe you have a different foot pack and/or crossbars than me, as I took mine off a different vehicle and then bought the new fit kit to work on my X5.

Anyway, I wasn't saying to reverse anything. On my foot pack, there is a long cylinder on the inside that can be rotated ¼ turn so that the bolts go through two holes, not one. The two configurations are shown on page 2 of that manual attached above, with the picture saying that if you only use one hole that you just put the other one back in the box. Not sure why they couldn't include more actual words, LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 10:48 AM   #29
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:

I installed mine yesterday and the only way it seemed to make sense to install was the single bolt way. Seems solid so I'm not worried about it.
      01-20-2024, 06:35 PM   #30
coffeelogic
Registered
Rep
Drives: '20 X5 xDrive40i;'04 CLK55 AMG

Thanks for the photo, starlights . I was went down the fastener wormhole and ended up with socket cap screws size M6-1.0-30mm. They fit perfectly. I went to home depot and they did not have button head in this size, so these are the ones with the larger heads. They should be strong than button heads so should work in this application. I also picked up some washers since the holes on the used 4023 i received were a bit worn. I was going to go with the 2 screws per mount setup, but could only find 4 screws in stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 04:07 PM   #31
starlights
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by krypttic View Post
Hmmm... maybe you have a different foot pack and/or crossbars than me, as I took mine off a different vehicle and then bought the new fit kit to work on my X5.

Anyway, I wasn't saying to reverse anything. On my foot pack, there is a long cylinder on the inside that can be rotated ¼ turn so that the bolts go through two holes, not one. The two configurations are shown on page 2 of that manual attached above, with the picture saying that if you only use one hole that you just put the other one back in the box. Not sure why they couldn't include more actual words, LOL.
Which bars do you have? As far as I know, aero blade edge connect (directly) to fit kit 4023 via center bolt only. I have 4023 and it has the rotating cylinder but if I use 2 bolt orientation there is no way for the bolt to go through and connect to the aeroblade bar. Next time I take them off I will experiment but for now it’s tight and very secure.
Appreciate 1
tooloud10766.50
      03-23-2024, 12:54 PM   #32
iX52020
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

REI is having a 20% off one item for members. The Thule Motion XL Roof Box qualifies for the discount. With the discount, the XL motion is around $750. Sale ends 3/25.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:42 PM   #33
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAu View Post
Isn't it cheaper to buy the OEM one? No fit kit to worry about?
I wish the OE ones came in black.

John
Appreciate 0