BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2024, 03:52 PM   #1
napra89
Rep
Drives: BMW

2024 x5 xdrive clunking nosie

Planning on taking my new x5 into dealership tomorrow. Every time I turn or go over a speed bump it makes this clunking sound. Only have like 500 miles on it. Anything else have this problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:43 PM   #2
dadzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60

Does it have DHP? Similar sound from left front on my 2020 M50 turned out to be the left stabilizer control motor. The replacement had to be ordered from Germany. Fixed!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:03 PM   #3
krypttic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X50e with Executive P

Clunking could be any number of things from the suspension to the CV joints, tie rods, or a bunch of other possibilities. You have a warranty, so just see what your dealer says.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:22 PM   #4
napra89
Rep

Dont believe 2024 xdrive had an option for DHP. Have the M sport package with adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:31 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by napra89 View Post
Dont believe 2024 xdrive had an option for DHP. Have the M sport package with adaptive suspension.
Sounds like you have the 40i, the M60i can get DHP (Adaptive M Suspension Professional).
      03-13-2024, 07:30 AM   #6
LillieHalverson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X5

All good now?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 05:05 PM   #7
elJames
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Mine, a 2023, is at the dealer as I write this for a "knock". Does yours come from the front driver's side? Mine occurs when turning sharply on uneven surfaces less than 10mph, I'll get a knock or a clunk sound. Other times when crawling on uneven surfaces like gravel or dirt, if I am not turning there is a sort of "wobble" or "rattle" sound from what I think is the front axle. This is actually the third time I've had it in because the dealership hasn't been able to replicate it, although I will hear it daily and twice gave them audio recordings. The second time it was in, they replaced the left and right tie rod, per a service bulletin that was supposed to fix the issue but didn't.

SIB: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...35180-9999.pdf

I will be sure to update once I hear back.

Last edited by elJames; 03-14-2024 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:24 PM   #8
napra89
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elJames View Post
Mine, a 2023, is at the dealer as I write this for a "knock". Does yours come from the front driver's side? Mine occurs when turning sharply on uneven surfaces less than 10mph, I'll get a knock or a clunk sound. Other times when crawling on uneven surfaces like gravel or dirt, if I am not turning there is a sort of "wobble" or "rattle" sound from what I think is the front axle. This is actually the third time I've had it in because the dealership hasn't been able to replicate it, although I will hear it daily and twice gave them audio recordings. The second time it was in, they replaced the left and right tie rod, per a service bulletin that was supposed to fix the issue but didn't.

I went it yesterday and one of the service managers rode along with me for a few minutes. The noise occured once or twice but never as loud as sometimes when I hear it (go figure). They ended up keeping the car for a few hours and replaced the tie rods. Not sure it'll fix the problem from your response but so far so good even though I've only driven it like 15 miles. Let me know your update.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 10:32 PM   #9
napra89
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, I forgot to answer your questions. Yes! Exactly your description. Sounds from the left side always, happens when I turn slowly left, or go over speed bumps or uneven surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 04:43 PM   #10
napra89
Rep

Quote:

I've had it a couple days and it's still making the noise
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2024, 07:16 PM   #11
elJames
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Quote:

Update: Just got my X5 back today after 7 days at the dealer. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to replicate the knocking sound. They put 12 miles on it testing, and were working in communication with BMW engineers. They re-torqued the front suspension to factory spec, but frustratingly they weren’t able to fix anything as they couldn’t identify a problem. BMW concluded by sending the technicians an SIB. They are claiming the knocking is “normal and operational”, although I have my doubts as it’s not seemingly the same thing happening as I see in the service bulletin videos, link below. They also stated “slow driving speeds with a large steering angle causes the front axle to misalign due to high performance tires on vehicle. This creates a tension on front axle then once tension is released a thud”.

SIB 36 01 21: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...94298-9999.pdf

The videos in the SIB show the wheel making a thud and what looks like a snapping back into position, but that’s not what I believe I’m experiencing. It’s frustrating because I’m able to replicate the knocking sound every day on my regular route and they weren’t able to, I provided audio / video, and this site is littered with people experiencing the same thing. Maybe I’ll try again with another dealer later this year.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:50 PM   #12
napra89
Rep

Quote:
Update: Just got my X5 back today after 7 days at the dealer. Unfortunately, they weren’t able to replicate the knocking sound. They put 12 miles on it testing, and were working in communication with BMW engineers. They re-torqued the front suspension to factory spec, but frustratingly they weren’t able to fix anything as they couldn’t identify a problem. BMW concluded by sending the technicians an SIB. They are claiming the knocking is “normal and operational”, although I have my doubts as it’s not seemingly the same thing happening as I see in the service bulletin videos, link below. They also stated “slow driving speeds with a large steering angle causes the front axle to misalign due to high performance tires on vehicle. This creates a tension on front axle then once tension is released a thud”.

SIB 36 01 21: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...94298-9999.pdf

The videos in the SIB show the wheel making a thud and what looks like a snapping back into position, but that’s not what I believe I’m experiencing. It’s frustrating because I’m able to replicate the knocking sound every day on my regular route and they weren’t able to, I provided audio / video, and this site is littered with people experiencing the same thing. Maybe I’ll try again with another dealer later this year.
Yeah. Not sure what to do next ugh
Appreciate 0