BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2023, 05:12 AM   #221
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e 2020

So far, I haven't had the issue anymore since I made the change. That is very good news, after almost 3 years!!!! But now I'm wondering, what happens when the HV battery runs out? To what mode will the car switch? I asume the default/hybrid was there for a reason right?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 06:30 AM   #222
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikheetleon View Post
I never thought the profile's vs. car's default mode, but that feels like starting to explain the bug. Comfort access gives too little time to load one's profile and apply the EI mode settings, I guess.

I've just coded this setting to EI (0x15) in my car. It was indeed in Hybrid (0x11), see screenshot. Will report how it will work out.
I don’t understand what or why you coded. did you set the EI as default through iDrive then noticed Hybrid Standard was still checked when looking at the code?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #223
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I don’t understand what or why you coded. did you set the EI as default through iDrive then noticed Hybrid Standard was still checked when looking at the code?
I was on the same boat at first. Keep two things apart:

1) The default drive mode configured in iDrive.
2) The default (fallback) drive mode of the car (only configured through coding). Default is Hybrid, can be coded to EI.

So with 1 we noticed when putting it on EI by default, it sometimes still starts up in hybrid (comfort access related).
But when changing 2, the fallback mode of the car will be EI instead of Hybrid. So when it fails to load the configured user preferred drive mode (1), it will load the coded fallback default which is coded to EI.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 06:42 AM   #224
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I was on the same boat at first. Keep two things apart:

1) The default drive mode configured in iDrive.
2) The default (fallback) drive mode of the car (only configured through coding). Default is Hybrid, can be coded to EI.

So with 1 we noticed when putting it on EI by default, it sometimes still starts up in hybrid (comfort access related).
But when changing 2, the fallback mode of the car will be EI instead of Hybrid. So when it fails to load the configured user preferred drive mode (1), it will load the coded fallback default which is coded to EI.
so what you coded was the ‘fallback’ and nothing to do with “setting EI as standard in iDrive”?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 06:47 AM   #225
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
so what you coded was the ‘fallback’ and nothing to do with “setting EI as standard in iDrive”?
Correct, these two settings have nothing to do with eachother.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4711.50
      02-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #226
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
So far, I haven't had the issue anymore since I made the change. That is very good news, after almost 3 years!!!! But now I'm wondering, what happens when the HV battery runs out? To what mode will the car switch? I asume the default/hybrid was there for a reason right?
This night I tested what happens when the car runs out of HV battery with this recent coding. And it just switched to hybrid, started the engine and no errors or weird stuff. So I would say this issue is finally solved after many years of frustration. Thanks all, maybe X5 45e you can mark the issue as solved in the title?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #227
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This night I tested what happens when the car runs out of HV battery with this recent coding. And it just switched to hybrid, started the engine and no errors or weird stuff. So I would say this issue is finally solved after many years of frustration. Thanks all, maybe X5 45e you can mark the issue as solved in the title?
thanks for digging deeper and posting your findings, but can't really say it's "solved" as those not into coding or don’t know how won't have resolution
Appreciate 1
volodp199.50
      02-09-2023, 06:20 AM   #228
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
thanks for digging deeper and posting your findings, but can't really say it's "solved" as those not into coding or know how won't have resolution
Agreed that it's a workaround. I tried the official route (been to the dealer many times for this issue as you can read in this thread), but that path has shut down since BMW DE simply responded they acknowledge the problem, but don't have any priority in fixing it. So for me, this solves my issue. With regards to coding, you can try someone in your area to help you with that, or just buy an ENET cable/dongle, buy the Bimmercode app, and do it yourself. There are many walkthroughs available how to code. I do the coding with an ENET cable <> ethernet/lightning converter <> iPhone. Works very fast/simple/reliable. It's something that can be fixed in less than 5 minutes.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4711.50
      02-09-2023, 06:35 AM   #229
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Agreed that it's a workaround. I tried the official route (been to the dealer many times for this issue as you can read in this thread), but that path has shut down since BMW DE simply responded they acknowledge the problem, but don't have any priority in fixing it. So for me, this solves my issue. With regards to coding, you can try someone in your area to help you with that, or just buy an ENET cable/dongle, buy the Bimmercode app, and do it yourself. There are many walkthroughs available how to code. I do the coding with an ENET cable <> ethernet/lightning converter <> iPhone. Works very fast/simple/reliable. It's something that can be fixed in less than 5 minutes.
oh I already code. I was just speaking for those who don’t 😉 I’ve been meaning to re-code since updating to 11/2022, so likely this weekend
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2023, 10:13 AM   #230
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
ikheetleon

so I coded the 0x15 in BimmerCode yesterday, but twice I’ve returned to the vehicle in Comfort suspension level

I enabled EI as default with Sport suspension level. while the vehicle starts up in EI, why is it ‘falling back’ to Comfort level suspension when my EI settings have Sport level chosen?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 11:20 AM   #231
ikheetleon
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
ikheetleon

so I coded the 0x15 in BimmerCode yesterday, but twice I’ve returned to the vehicle in Comfort suspension level

I enabled EI as default with Sport suspension level. while the vehicle starts up in EI, why is it ‘falling back’ to Comfort level suspension when my EI settings have Sport level chosen?
That would indicate that the “fallback” drive mode also has it’s fallback to specific settings within that profile. I’ve never noticed that, but the default EI settings are very close to my preferred settings. Will check if that is the case for me as well.

I’ve never switched to hybrid at startup after the coding change btw, so still very happy with the solution/workaround.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #232
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
ikheetleon

That would indicate that the “fallback” drive mode also has it’s fallback to specific settings within that profile. I’ve never noticed that, but the default EI settings are very close to my preferred settings. Will check if that is the case for me as well.

I’ve never switched to hybrid at startup after the coding change btw, so still very happy with the solution/workaround.
i coded back to 0x11

note that I always park in Load suspension level. before coding 0x15, the frequency of random rising to Comfort suspension level (thus, Hybrid drive mode) was far less frequent. after coding it, i frequently found the vehicle at Sport suspension level (my default EI suspension level) shortly after parking. it ‘fell back’ to my default EI drive mode way too frequently to the order of 99%, thus rising from Load to Sport level. under 0x11, it stayed in Load level 99% of the time after parking and only randomly rising to Comfort level (Hybrid drive mode) 1% of time. I’ll stay with the default 0x11 code as the vehicle staying in Load level is more important to me
Appreciate 1