BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #89
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Found out something interesting/concerning yesterday when my buddy took out his paint dep meter to measure how thick the paint is in my car which is Marina bay blue. The paint is really really thin. He measured 2.8 across every panel except the trunk where it read 4.5 which he said is about normal thickness.

Then we measured a new F96 X6M that is alpine white and his was about 3.8 - 4.5 across the entire car. You would think a mentalic paint color would require more layers to achieve the look over a flat paint like alpine white.

After living with my car over the winter I do think the paint on this platform being more easily scratched. I even have ceramic protection on mine and still notice marks from proper two bucket washing by me and marks from anything touching the paint.

Alan
Appreciate 3
ed41341.50
xmanpro2954.50
      04-18-2021, 06:38 PM   #90
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Yep - no amount of babying this paint will prevent the swirls. Sad
ed41341.50
      04-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #91
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

I've got BSM. PPF on 60% of the car, including rear fenders, Gyeon Ceramic coating on the whole car. Just washed it for the third time, each time I have washed it myself with a power washer and two bucket method. After washing this weekend, I notice these crazy scratches on the back right fender. Really bummed me out. The rest of the car looks immaculate, no scratches whatsoever. Sent the pics to my PPF guy wondering if it was improper washing. He says it would take something really rough to make these marks. I just have no idea what else could have caused it. If someone hit me, I feel there would've been a dent. Maybe some sort of animal scratching? Maybe someone tried to wipe something off the car and scratched the shit out of it??
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
ed41341.50
      04-19-2021, 01:26 PM   #92
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanbimmer3 View Post
I've got BSM. PPF on 60% of the car, including rear fenders, Gyeon Ceramic coating on the whole car. Just washed it for the third time, each time I have washed it myself with a power washer and two bucket method. After washing this weekend, I notice these crazy scratches on the back right fender. Really bummed me out. Sent the pics to my PPF guy wondering if it was improper washing. He says it would take something really rough to make these marks. I just have no idea what else could have caused it. If someone hit me, I feel there would've been a dent. Maybe some sort of animal scratching? Maybe someone tried to wipe something off the car and scratched the shit out of it??
I'm sorry.

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #93
ed4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Found out something interesting/concerning yesterday when my buddy took out his paint dep meter to measure how thick the paint is in my car which is Marina bay blue. The paint is really really thin. He measured 2.8 across every panel except the trunk where it read 4.5 which he said is about normal thickness.

Then we measured a new F96 X6M that is alpine white and his was about 3.8 - 4.5 across the entire car. You would think a mentalic paint color would require more layers to achieve the look over a flat paint like alpine white.

After living with my car over the winter I do think the paint on this platform being more easily scratched. I even have ceramic protection on mine and still notice marks from proper two bucket washing by me and marks from anything touching the paint.

Alan
I'm wondering if it has to do with paint correction (PC). Mine needed an extremely low amount of PC, according to my detailer, hence the marginally thicker measurement of mine? As we know, claying, polishing and compounding will wear it out slightly.

Your car is dope in pictures, but far more impressive in-person

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #94
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Ppf all around is what I did. Can't trust any of these washes unfortunately, most of the guys working at these places don't care if it's a Honda or a Ferrari and they're using the same towels all day. Unless you're going super high end, a private mobile wash service, or doing it yourself, no way to guarantee people are washing with fresh products or clean towels to dry.
      04-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #95
xmanpro
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 M8C 24 X6MC 21 M3C

Quote:
I've got BSM. PPF on 60% of the car, including rear fenders, Gyeon Ceramic coating on the whole car. Just washed it for the third time, each time I have washed it myself with a power washer and two bucket method. After washing this weekend, I notice these crazy scratches on the back right fender. Really bummed me out. The rest of the car looks immaculate, no scratches whatsoever. Sent the pics to my PPF guy wondering if it was improper washing. He says it would take something really rough to make these marks. I just have no idea what else could have caused it. If someone hit me, I feel there would've been a dent. Maybe some sort of animal scratching? Maybe someone tried to wipe something off the car and scratched the shit out of it??
Sorry to hear (see) about your troubles. That's how my BSM paint looked like after one wash.

Is that section covered by PPF? That looks like swirled out unprotected paint imo.
      04-19-2021, 04:21 PM   #96
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
That actually looks appropriately placed to be caused by backing up into a bush or shrub while parking. Anything like that recently? The are soft enough not to leave a dent but may have branches firm enough to do that.
      04-19-2021, 05:00 PM   #97
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

That looks like someone took a freaking brillo pad to the paint.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #98
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Quote:
Sorry to hear (see) about your troubles. That's how my BSM paint looked like after one wash.

Is that section covered by PPF? That looks like swirled out unprotected paint imo.

Appreciate it. Part of the rear panel that is scratched is definitely covered by PPF as evidenced by the plastic covering over the circular rear parking sensor, but part of the scratches are definitely on unprotected paint as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Quote:
That actually looks appropriately placed to be caused by backing up into a bush or shrub while parking. Anything like that recently? The are soft enough not to leave a dent but may have branches firm enough to do that.
Haven't parked next to any trees/bushes that I can think of, but that could definitely explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
That's exactly what my PPF guy said! He's concerned someone might be vandalizing my ride. I just took it back to him to try and put a new piece of PPF on my front sensor after I found it like this:

He thought it looked like someone to a razor blade to it. Thinks I should install a dash cam. I park in a valet garage here in NYC. It's smaller, only three attendants, all super nice, older gentleman. Car is only parked on the ground level in a designated parking spot. The spots are pretty tight, guess they could have scratched that back part on something while parking. I would just be surprised that would happen without any obvious dents. If these were both caused by vandalizing, I'd think it's a pretty strange way to do it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:09 PM   #99
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's exactly what my PPF guy said! He's concerned someone might be vandalizing my ride. I just took it back to him to try and put a new piece of PPF on my front sensor after I found it like this:

He thought it looked like someone to a razor blade to it. Thinks I should install a dash cam. I park in a valet garage here in NYC. It's smaller, only three attendants, all super nice, older gentleman. Car is only parked on the ground level in a designated parking spot. The spots are pretty tight, guess they could have scratched that back part on something while parking. I would just be surprised that would happen without any obvious dents. If these were both caused by vandalizing, I'd think it's a pretty strange way to do it.
Perhaps someone was trying to squeeze something between your car and wall of the garage - were doing any maintenance there, perhaps insulating pipes? Dragging wool insulation against car paint will probably cause such scratches.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:10 PM   #100
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Whats in this photo, hard to tell?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 12:17 AM   #101
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanpro View Post
Quote:

Appreciate it. Part of the rear panel that is scratched is definitely covered by PPF as evidenced by the plastic covering over the circular rear parking sensor, but part of the scratches are definitely on unprotected paint as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Quote:
Haven't parked next to any trees/bushes that I can think of, but that could definitely explain it.

Quote:

God DAYUM 😓😓😓😓
      04-20-2021, 01:08 AM   #102
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Sensor in the front grill?
      04-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #103
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Quote:
[img]https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/at...8;d=1618872151[/img]

Sensor in the front grill?
Yup sensor on the front grill. No idea what else could have caused it. Had just gotten back from skiing, so maybe someone's ski or pole? Bad luck. Or someone fucking with the car. No clue.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:09 AM   #104
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

Quote:
Yup sensor on the front grill. No idea what else could have caused it. Had just gotten back from skiing, so maybe someone's ski or pole? Bad luck. Or someone fucking with the car. No clue.
sorry to see that. looks like a utility knife !!!
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #105
ed4
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry. Do we know if just the front cover / lens is replaceable?

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2021, 12:16 PM   #106
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4 View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry. Do we know if just the front cover / lens is replaceable?
Have been meaning to ask BMW. Next time she's in the shop, I will. I think it should be.. looks like just a plastic covering.
Appreciate 1
ed41341.50
      04-22-2022, 10:42 PM   #107
robersoj1
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

Have any of you guys tried a car air blower to prevent the swirl getting in your paint. I ordered a X7 with TB paint and would hate to get paint swirls.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2022, 10:50 PM   #108
Ranchroundel
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5mc & 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by robersoj1 View Post
Have any of you guys tried a car air blower to prevent the swirl getting in your paint. I ordered a X7 with TB paint and would hate to get paint swirls.
I have the Adams blower and it woks pretty good. I find if I use a silicon blade on the flat areas and then the blower it works the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #109
robersoj1
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

Thanks, looking to get one for my new X7.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 12:13 PM   #110
1Mors
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 xdrive40i msport

Garage List
Quote:
When wiping anything off of your car you need to have a very clean soft towel preferably microfiber. That way the dirt on the cleaning towel doesn't turn into a form of sand paper on your finish.

You might need a machine polish for this one.
Appreciate 0