MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
There is no stopping a man on a mission

Alan
It was a mission, even forgoing my military background. I was trying to accomplish a lot in just three days. Every aspect had to go perfectly. Plan B was not an option.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 08:39 PM   #46
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Well, I didn't get her back today as promised. German mechanic said it was easy to remove the two piece factory cat downpipe, but the Supersprint single highflow cat was much more difficult in restricted space. So, I'll get it tomorrow. In the meantime, I used the remote view app to snap a pic while it was on the lift. I wonder if they know I'm spying on them....
Attached Images

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-25-2021 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #47
155ND
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5MC Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
Luckily, well kinda, I learned that lesson on a G05 M40i that was stolen and totaled after a year. Highway tore up that hood in no time in Italy. When I upgraded to the F97, she took an immediate detour to the only PPF installer in town for immediate protection. This time around, I wanted to do a PDC hundreds of miles away from home. My salesman reccomeded painters tape for the return trip. I drive six miles from the factory to the store to get it and still got one big chip on the edge of the lower right frontal plastic air vent. Covered her in tape and made the trip home without further incident. Repurchased that vent from bmw prior to the PPF, so it's all good again. Here's a photo of the trip back up. You can't imagine the stares. 6 miles out of the factory, I got thumbs up from enthusiasts that appreciated the brand new M comp in Tanzanite. After this tape, I got even more looks as in WTF? Yeah, I picked up a travel trailer too from Atlanta while down that way. But that'll be a seperate photo shoot as the ultimate towing machine part 2.

Had to laugh out loud at this photo ... love the thinking and dedication involved!! much respect
      03-26-2021, 08:10 PM   #48
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155ND View Post
Had to laugh out loud at this photo ... love the thinking and dedication involved!! much respect
Thanks, man. It's been an adventure. It's mostly over now (the mod phase). Now comes the enjoyment. Probably only mods left are wrap the V bar up front in dark blue vinyl when I go back in a month for my PPF checkup. The whole grill section is like a gigantic black hole sucking in light. A little diagonal dark blue in there would help break up the darkness. And lastly, I'll tune it of course whenever those become available.without further adieu, on to the lowered shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:17 PM   #49
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Took them a day more than promised due to the difficulty in inserting the single cat downpipe I had in those tight spaces,but the result was totally worth it. She sounds much meaner now but still not boy racer obnoxious. Best part, even though it only has a single stainless steel cat with 100 cells per inch, it didn't throw a CEL alarm. That's a nice bonus. I'll try to post some cold start clips tomorrow. She's also lowered 30mm, which should settle to an inch and a quarter when it's all said and done now on the MSS setup. Damn, there's still a bit of wheel gap there, but I'll be towing, so I couldn't slam it. Regardless, there's a lot less gap, and I can live with this. I took one photo at the water's edge tonight. Hopefully, I'll have some more good weather and more time to shoot her from different angles to capture some of the details. The floating carbon hub centers on these rims look very, very good for example. Enjoy!

P. S. Ben, thanks for the MSS reccomeded settings. They were spot on for my needs.
Attached Images

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-26-2021 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 8
r33_RGSport12914.00
Alan l.5428.00
xmanpro3055.00
155ND907.00
Russ103308.00
1230vani648.50
      03-26-2021, 09:50 PM   #50
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Took them a day more than promised due to the difficulty in inserting the single cat downpipe I had in those tight spaces,but the result was totally worth it. She sounds much meaner now but still not boy racer obnoxious. Best part, even though it only has a single stainless steel cat with 100 cells per inch, it didn't throw a CEL alarm. That's a nice bonus. I'll try to post some cold start clips tomorrow. She's also lowered 30mm, which should settle to an inch and a quarter when it's all said and done now on the MSS setup. Damn, there's still a bit of wheel gap there, but I'll be towing, so I couldn't slam it. Regardless, there's a lot less gap, and I can live with this. I took one photo at the water's edge tonight. Hopefully, I'll have some more good weather and more time to shoot her from different angles to capture some of the details. The floating carbon hub centers on these rims look very, very good for example. Enjoy!

P. S. Ben, thanks for the MSS reccomeded settings. They were spot on for my needs.
Looks good.

Glad I can help.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #51
MrItaly
Major
Rep

As promised, here's the cold start and revs on my X5M Competition with SuperSprint high flow stainless primary cat at 100 cells per inch and deletion of secondaries. No CEL alarm here, and the sound is night and day compared to stock. Loving this solution. Now I just need a stage 2 tune...

Link for your ears.....Hold out for the 30 second mark. It's worth it. Wait for it.... Wait for it....

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-28-2021 at 06:45 PM..
Appreciate 7
r33_RGSport12914.00
Alan l.5428.00
dpie77.50
155ND907.00
Russ103308.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      03-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #52
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
As promised, here's the cold start and revs on my X5M Competition with SuperSprint high flow stainless primary cat at 100 cells per inch and deletion of secondaries. No CEL alarm here, and the sound is night and day compared to stock. Loving this solution. Now I just need a stage 2 tune...

Link for your ears.....

That sounds great. Contrats

Do these have ceramic on the inside?

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #53
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
That sounds great. Contrats

Do these have ceramic on the inside?
Thanks. No, Supersprint doesn't use ceramic on their performance cats. They source stainless cans from a high end German manufacturer and integrate them into their solutions.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:22 PM   #54
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:

Link for your ears.....

Duuuuuude
      03-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #55
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Duuuuuude
Took her in for the RIS yesterday where my service manager is cool as can be- former marine who drives a tricked out Subaru now. He heard my cold start in their receiving area when I brought her in and couldn't believe how good it sounded. When I came back to pick it up hours later, he admitted he and the young mechanic that was changing all the fluids and reprogramming the DME for full power cold started it 3x in the mechanic's bay and just giggled like little school girls. When he brought the car out to me, he actually backed it up to the double door entrance (which he opened) to the showroom floor, then begged me to do a cold start in sport plus and give it a few revs before leaving. Then he said rip it on the road in front of the dealership. I obliged all his requests with, admittedly, a childlike smile on my face too. It didn't dissapoint.... The short shift blats are on spot now as well. Part of me misses the fake burbles from my F97, but the low end bass of this V8 is no comparison.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-28-2021 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2021, 10:22 PM   #56
MrItaly
Major
Rep

So after a week on the Supersprint high flow cats, the truck threw a cel alarm while I was driving in the rain for the first time. I'm hypothesizing the extra humidity may have pushed it over the carbon monoxide limits. Scientifically, not sure what the correlation is there, but it seems an odd coincidence I've been fine on this setup until driving it in the rain. I have both a Bluetooth OBD adapter from my F97 which I used for bimmeecode and the obd cable from my previous BM3 tuning on that same car. I never had a need to troubleshoot error codes though nor reset cels. Can I do this on my DME locked '21 now, and if so with what program?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 05:38 AM   #57
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Any obd2 plug in code reader from an auto parts store should read and clear the code. I use DashCmd so I can pull a quick log when needed. Have you read the code to be sure it’s the cats ?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:32 AM   #58
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Wouldn't bimmerlink be able to read and clear codes this as well?

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #59
bobbis1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Wouldn't bimmerlink be able to read and clear codes this as well?
+1 bimmerlink should do this- a little dependent on which adapter you have but if BimmerCode works then it should be able to read and clear codes.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:58 AM   #60
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
Any obd2 plug in code reader from an auto parts store should read and clear the code. I use DashCmd so I can pull a quick log when needed. Have you read the code to be sure it’s the cats ?
Thanks, Onfire. I downloaded dash command to my phone and will try it on my Bluetooth OBD connector on my lunch break today.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 12:04 PM   #61
MrItaly
Major
Rep

So I read the code with dash command and it says all zeroes for engine codes. Stored, pending, and permanent. So why do I have a CEL on my actual dash? Update, because you have to start the engine to get the cel maybe. I now have one permenant code. But oddly enough, the cel is gone from my dash now even though I didn't clear the code on dash command. Paid the $10 and bought the software to read the actual code error in there. Yup, "catalytic system efficiency below threshold." We'll, at least the cel is off my dash again for now, and I know how to this again if/when it comes back. Thanks all.

Last edited by MrItaly; 04-01-2021 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #62
RAUDERRIPPER
Captain
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
So I read the code with dash command and it says all zeroes for engine codes. Stored, pending, and permanent. So why do I have a CEL on my actual dash? Update, because you have to start the engine to get the cel maybe. I now have one permenant code. But oddly enough, the cel is gone from my dash now even though I didn't clear the code on dash command. Paid the $10 and bought the software to read the actual code error in there. Yup, "catalytic system efficiency below threshold." We'll, at least the cel is off my dash again for now, and I know how to this again if/when it comes back. Thanks all.
Wish you luck mr! I'm guessing none of the piggybacks can help.
      04-01-2021, 07:23 PM   #63
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAUDERRIPPER View Post
Wish you luck mr! I'm guessing none of the piggybacks can help.
Thanks, and you're right. Good news is, the CEL hasn't come back, and it's pretty easy to reset now that I know what I'm doing. Even if I had to do this weekly, it wouldn't be a big deal. Maybe it was a one time fluke. Who knows? I'll just make sure it's included in my tune whenever those become available...... Taps foot impatiently. I'm loving this SUV as a DD. Comfort, interior elegance, massaging seats, B&W audio, V8 sound and torque, split hatch so cantelopes don't roll out when opened, I could go on and on..... So many things I like more than my F97. However, coming from a stage 2 map on ethanol blend, this F95 is significantly slower. Reminds me of when the dealer reset my DME on that F97.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2021, 08:21 PM   #64
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I would guess your X3M was running high 10's quarter mile times with those mods while the X5MC is at best a high to mid 11's car. Also the way it feels could mask how fast its actually going too. Maybe time to pick up a Racechip for the time being to give you that extra bump in HP...

As for the CEL i wonder if that old trick where people would add a spacer to the O2 sensor would just be enough to fool the ECU to keep it happy. I know guys use to do that so it places the sensor just out of the path of the exhaust gases enough.

Last edited by Alan l.; 04-01-2021 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #65
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I would guess your X3M was running high 10's quarter mile times with those mods while the X5MC is at best a high to mid 11's car. Also the way it feels could mask how fast its actually going too. Maybe time to pick up a Racechip for the time being to give you that extra bump in HP...

As for the CEL i wonder if that old trick where people would add a spacer to the O2 sensor would just be enough to fool the ECU enough to keep it happy. I know guys use to do that so it places the sensor just out of the path of the exhaust gases enough to make it happy.

Spacer mod makes sense. I might look into that if this becomes a reoccurring thing. Seeing as it took a week to register, I think I'm really on the borderline. As far as far as racechip goes, I can't because I know what a real tune does to these motors. Racechip is great for those satisfied with decent gains without touching the DME. Not hating ;there is a market for that. But that ain't me. One good thing about getting older is increased patience. I'll just wait for them to crack the DME and do this right.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #66
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Spacer mod makes sense. I might look into that if this becomes a reoccurring thing. Seeing as it took a week to register, I think I'm really on the borderline. As far as far as racechip goes, I can't because I know what a real tune does to these motors. Racechip is great for those satisfied with decent gains without touching the DME. Not hating ;there is a market for that. But that ain't me. One good thing about getting older is increased patience. I'll just wait for them to crack the DME and do this right.
Sometimes the DME will go through a learning period on O2 activity. Hopefully, it was looking for set 1 parameters associated with the stock cats but found the AF cats slightly beyond spec and learned the new parameter. May never come back again.

10 or so drive cycles should tell the tale......
Appreciate 0