BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2021, 09:40 PM   #23
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by HZX540e View Post
My sons are obsessed with changing the seat every two minutes. And the screen changes every time they approach the adjustment buttons.
What is it with these millenials? My daughter's the same way. I had to turn off the screen notifications for the seats....
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50
      03-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #24
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
I have the charging pad on the left side (no cup heater/cooler where it sits in the middle).

A few problems with the wireless setup for me :
1. Have to unlock the phone at times to connect. Once it’s on the wireless charger, I have to pull it out and unlock and then drop it back in.

2. Wireless charging with the processing needs of some mapping apps (especially Waze) heats the phone up and it shuts down until it cools off. Super annoying. I know that’s not BMW’s fault but it’s a real problem I’ve been dealing with. The phone shuts down for about 10 mins while I’m using the GPS - no bueno.

3. Every so often at a red light (not driving!) I may want to see my notifications that don’t show on CarPlay. Can’t do that quickly using the wireless charging pad due to how hard it is to get the phone out, especially with drinks in the drink holder.

4. The afterthought of just turning the same charging pad sideways may have made sense to BMW from a cost perspective but it’s a fail from a user experience point of view. It is very difficult to see if my phone is charging on the changing pad because they turned it so the blue charging light is practically unavailable in the drivers line of sight. I have to lean over to almost the passenger’s side of the car to verify that the blue light is on/phone is charging. It’s not safe when driving and inconvenient when stopped.

So the implementation is ok but not great in my opinion. Your mileage may certainly vary but the wireless charging just doesn’t work for me the way it’s set up in the X5 so have to go old school.

Cheers!
In my brief drive home from PDC, I've experienced all four of these phenomenon with an android S20. BMW, if you're listening, X2.....I used the wireless charging pad in my less integrated F97 without issue. The F95 is definitely a more restrictive space to work in comparitively speaking.

Last edited by MrItaly; 03-18-2021 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      03-18-2021, 09:57 PM   #25
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Quote:
4. The afterthought of just turning the same charging pad sideways may have made sense to BMW from a cost perspective but it’s a fail from a user experience point of view. It is very difficult to see if my phone is charging on the changing pad because they turned it so the blue charging light is practically unavailable in the drivers line of sight. I have to lean over to almost the passenger’s side of the car to verify that the blue light is on/phone is charging. It’s not safe when driving and inconvenient when stopped.
Or maybe they are considering driver safety and don't want you to have ready access to your phone while driving.

On the home screen if you have the phone widget up it tells you if its charging with a little icon.
      03-18-2021, 10:03 PM   #26
MrItaly
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
Or maybe they are considering driver safety and don't want you to have ready access to your phone while driving.

On the home screen if you have the phone widget up it tells you if its charging with a little icon.
Yes, my issue is that it stops charging when using waze. This didn't happen in my F97. Not to mention, at the end of my journey it is much more difficult to fish my phone out of that restricted space than it was in my F97. By no means do I want to appear to complain about my overall upgrade, but there were a few things that I feel the F97 did better. This is one of them.
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      03-18-2021, 11:08 PM   #27
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Here are a couple more pics:
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:14 PM   #28
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post

Nah, I don’t think it was safety, I think it was economics. It works fine with the power light showing when the charger is above the cup holders. Just a choice to make the phone not as prominent a feature of the interior. Lots of car companies do that but some are starting to adjust. Moving chargers out of center armrest consoles, etc.

It’s really not the biggest deal in the world and don’t mean to diminish the values for others. Someone asked why plug in and mount the phone vs using the wireless charger and I shared my thoughts and experiences.

For me, the plug and mount method works. For others the wireless is fine. To each their own.

Good point on the Home Screen charging status. I guess I’m old school and always like to confirm a charge as soon as I put the phone on the charger. Just my OCD

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:19 PM   #29
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-prsev View Post
Does ProClip make a console for the F95? I own both a F95 and G07 and can confirm that the console between the two are different. I suspect the G05 is the same as the G07 but the F95 has raised edges on the center console that would most likely not allow the console mount for G05/G07 to work.
Check out their website. They have a lookup tool super easy to find the right fit for your car.

I always look at the install instructions just in case there is any difference in a trim level. For me, had to double check the ‘extended merino’ console trim worked and it looks like it will.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:08 AM   #30
IftiBashir
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 MSport 40i

Quote:
I have the charging pad on the left side (no cup heater/cooler where it sits in the middle).

1. Have to unlock the phone at times to connect. Once it’s on the wireless charger, I have to pull it out and unlock and then drop it back in.

2. Wireless charging with the processing needs of some mapping apps (especially Waze) heats the phone up and it shuts down until it cools off. Super annoying. I know that’s not BMW’s fault but it’s a real problem I’ve been dealing with. The phone shuts down for about 10 mins while I’m using the GPS - no bueno.

3. Every so often at a red light (not driving!) I may want to see my notifications that don’t show on CarPlay. Can’t do that quickly using the wireless charging pad due to how hard it is to get the phone out, especially with drinks in the drink holder.

So the implementation is ok but not great in my opinion. Your mileage may certainly vary but the wireless charging just doesn’t work for me the way it’s set up in the X5 so have to go old school.

Cheers!

I've never had to unlock to connect etc - just seems to connect as soon as I get in the car regardless. However, I do echo everything else you mentioned. Placement isnt ideal. You can't easily tell if its charging, and so on.
Generally I only ever use it if I really need to, otherwise I slip the phone into one of the cupholders as its so much easier! lol
I have my display key in a silicon case and I tend to put that on the wireless charger instead most of the time just to keep it topped up. But again, the light isnt at the best position, as you mentioned - why they didnt place it on the bottom side so its in clear view I dont know!!
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      03-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #31
screamace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M Competition

Garage List
I also use the ProClips vent mount. It's excellent except one minor annoyance: The upper piece that went in the gap of vent trim will slowly slide out (like in a week), even though I have put on adhesive as the instructions suggested. Looks like the upper piece doesn't have any hook to hold it in place (like my previous ProClips). Talked to support and they agreed it's by design, and sent me a new mount replacement.

My suspicion was the ProClips wireless charging phone mount is too heavy (it's quite bulky). So I bought a $20 MagSafe phone mount. And to adapt I got the ProClips Garmin ball mount, which fits perfectly. Now I get to use MagSafe to both hold my iPhone in place magnetically and charge it at 15W (vs 7.5W using Qi), very satisfied. Plus I haven't noticed the mount sliding out again.

One downside of the current setup is you lose some adjustment freedom. So the phone is not facing me directly but on a slight angle. I can read the screen just fine but need to lean over a bit for FaceID to see me.

Realized I didn't have a photo in my phone. Will snatch one later today.

Edit: Added a photo. The mount can only rotate a little. This is as much as it can facing towards the driver.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
jg05303.50
Russ103300.50
      03-20-2021, 07:49 AM   #32
screamace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Quote:

1. Have to unlock the phone at times to connect. Once it's on the wireless charger, I have to pull it out and unlock and then drop it back in.

2. Wireless charging with the processing needs of some mapping apps (especially Waze) heats the phone up and it shuts down until it cools off. Super annoying. I know that's not BMW's fault but it's a real problem I've been dealing with. The phone shuts down for about 10 mins while I'm using the GPS - no bueno.

3. Every so often at a red light (not driving!) I may want to see my notifications that don't show on CarPlay. Can't do that quickly using the wireless charging pad due to how hard it is to get the phone out, especially with drinks in the drink holder.

4. The afterthought of just turning the same charging pad sideways may have made sense to BMW from a cost perspective but it's a fail from a user experience point of view. It is very difficult to see if my phone is charging on the changing pad because they turned it so the blue charging light is practically unavailable in the drivers line of sight. I have to lean over to almost the passenger's side of the car to verify that the blue light is on/phone is charging. It's not safe when driving and inconvenient when stopped.

So the implementation is ok but not great in my opinion. Your mileage may certainly vary but the wireless charging just doesn't work for me the way it's set up in the X5 so have to go old school.

Cheers!

I've never had to unlock to connect etc - just seems to connect as soon as I get in the car regardless. However, I do echo everything else you mentioned. Placement isnt ideal. You can't easily tell if its charging, and so on.
Generally I only ever use it if I really need to, otherwise I slip the phone into one of the cupholders as its so much easier! lol
I have my display key in a silicon case and I tend to put that on the wireless charger instead most of the time just to keep it topped up. But again, the light isnt at the best position, as you mentioned - why they didnt place it on the bottom side so its in clear view I dont know!!
For me, my phone keeps sliding in the charging tray. I do have heat/cool cup holders so the wireless charging tray is horizontal in front of the cup holders. When the phone slides near the edge of the tray it sometimes will stop charging, sometimes will get really hot due to charging coil not aligned perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #33
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamace View Post
I also use the ProClips vent mount. It's excellent except one minor annoyance: The upper piece that went in the gap of vent trim will slowly slide out (like in a week), even though I have put on adhesive as the instructions suggested. Looks like the upper piece doesn't have any hook to hold it in place (like my previous ProClips). Talked to support and they agreed it's by design, and sent me a new mount replacement.

My suspicion was the ProClips wireless charging phone mount is too heavy (it's quite bulky). So I bought a $20 MagSafe phone mount. And to adapt I got the ProClips Garmin ball mount, which fits perfectly. Now I get to use MagSafe to both hold my iPhone in place magnetically and charge it at 15W (vs 7.5W using Qi), very satisfied. Plus I haven't noticed the mount sliding out again.

One downside of the current setup is you lose some adjustment freedom. So the phone is not facing me directly but on a slight angle. I can read the screen just fine but need to lean over a bit for FaceID to see me.

Good to know. Thanks for posting that! I think I’ll stick with the center console mount for now. In my last car, there were some complaints about the phone sliding with a similar mount. One of the suggestions was to put some foam with adhesive on the inside of the mount placement and that helped me, never had the mount slide.

Not sure if that might help or not with the vent mount but might be worth a try
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:44 AM   #34
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
For me, my phone keeps sliding in the charging tray. I do have heat/cool cup holders so the wireless charging tray is horizontal in front of the cup holders. When the phone slides near the edge of the tray it sometimes will stop charging, sometimes will get really hot due to charging coil not aligned perfectly.
Interesting. I wonder if the over heating happens for me just when the phone isn’t directly on the coils. Will have to see if I can figure that out. I just assumed it was just the charging period.

One other add for a reason to have the phone display handy/mounted is that I can’t ff/rew songs within the song via any buttons in the car for CarPlay.

I can skip ff/rew but not scan ff/rew. It’s nice to have the phone available if I want to quickly slide the time bar while it’s on the Home Screen to jump to a spot in a song.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #35
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
I wonder if the over heating happens for me just when the phone isn't directly on the coils. Will have to see if I can figure that out. I just assumed it was just the charging period.
do you use Waze when it's overheating? this is a known issue. if so, one way to mitigate this is to plug directly versus wireless charging. OTW, misalignment shouldn't cause overheating since it won't be charging
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #36
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC, 2021 X7M50i

Quote:

Can you please share which MagSafe charger you are using?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:54 PM   #37
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
do you use Waze when it's overheating? this is a known issue. if so, one way to mitigate this is to plug directly versus wireless charging. OTW, misalignment shouldn't cause overheating since it won't be charging
That’s exactly my whole point. If I have to plug in to avoid the over heating, may as well have the phone in a mount.

Haven’t had any overheating issues with Waze and overheating when plugged in, just wireless charging.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:00 PM   #38
RR_Bimmers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21' BMW X5MC, '23 BMW M4C Vert

Garage List
  [0.00]
Just got the Belkin MagSafe vent mount for my 12 pro max and it's well built and stable.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 08:04 PM   #39
SpeedyBeamer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakhred View Post
Just got the Belkin MagSafe vent mount for my 12 pro max and it's well built and stable.
Can you please post a pic of this mount in your X5? I'd love to see the mount in the vent with and without your phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:09 PM   #40
screamace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-prsev View Post
Quote:

Can you please share which MagSafe charger you are using?
Compatible with iPhone 12/12 mini/12 Pro/12 Pro Max/Mag-Safe Car Charger,Magnetic Car Air Vent Mount Wireless Charger Phone Holder with 15W Fast Charging Auto-Clamping for Mag-Safe Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08PK57KHX...UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
m-prsev74.50
      03-22-2021, 11:11 PM   #41
screamace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakhred View Post
IIRC Belkin is a only magnetic mount but doesn't charge right? I got a much cheaper MagSafe mount that also charges at full 15W. I think it's a better buy but YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #42
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One more reason for preferring the phone mount and not use the wireless charger: can’t ff/rew scan in CarPlay. I can skip songs but I’m in another car this week with wireless CarPlay no in both my X5 and this car, you can’t ff/rew scan with any of the car screens/buttons. You can ff/rew skip to next or previous songs, just not scanning within a song.

In my limited trials (a whopping 2 cars now ) it seems like a CarPlay issue.

Either way, since I use that function fairly often, the only way to scan through a song is to use the timeline bar on the Home Screen of the phone so it needs to be accessible to do this.

Just adding to the functionality reasons for the values of dealing with a phone mount for anyone reading the thread.

And for the folks that think I’m simply vehicle bashing and nitpicking, it’s quite the opposite. I absolutely love my X5. First BMW and really enjoying it. But no car is perfect and while some of these issues are direct BMW decisions on the wireless charger placement, a lot of this is CarPlay limitations. Just sharing opinions and thoughts to help folks not complain about the car. . .just saving some flames
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #43
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
can't ff/rew scan in CarPlay. I can skip songs but I'm in another car this week with wireless CarPlay no in both my X5 and this car, you can't ff/rew scan with any of the car screens/buttons.
it can scan while connected to CarPlay but doesn't work smoothly. using either the steering wheel buttons or radio head unit, I can hold down for about 5 seconds, hear the music shuffling, let go of the button, and it only scanned 1-2 seconds worth. obviously, the longer the hold, the longer the scan; I held about 15 seconds and can see the time tracker go ahead about a minute.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #44
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
i went with the ProClip for my existing 15W MagSafe car charger, which clipped onto the ProClip's Garmin ball mount (#215165). the ball mount greatly limits the charger's rotation compared to the mount that came with the charger. i have the charger at max tilts up and left and would prefer more both ways so it's square with my face when i look at my iPhone. still, i can read texts and emails from my seating angle. i have more peace of mind now there's no strain on the vent slats; it's also closer to reach.

thanks for the idea screamace
Attached Images

Appreciate 0