BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #45
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
i went with the ProClip for my existing 15W MagSafe car charger, which clipped onto the ProClip's Garmin ball mount (#215165). the ball mount greatly limits the charger's rotation compared to the mount that came with the charger. i have the charger at max tilts up and left and would prefer more both ways so it's square with my face when i look at my iPhone. still, i can read texts and emails from my seating angle. i have more peace of mind now there's no strain on the vent slats; it's also closer to reach.

thanks for the idea screamace
Very slick setup. I may have to copy that. Android auto is nice to have finally, but I'm not feeling tossing my phone in that wireless charging hole.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      03-26-2021, 06:48 AM   #46
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
sorry, folks. Is the post before this post from HZX540e? if so, why can't I see it?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:22 PM   #47
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
sorry, folks. Is the post before this post from HZX540e? if so, why can't I see it?
I deleted it because I checked the actually BMW charged and it's not something I can easily swap with a MagSafe
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      04-03-2021, 10:36 PM   #48
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

In a MB GLS wireless charger after 3 hours of Waze and wireless charging. [IMG][/IMG]

So it not a BMW issue it's an Apple issue if you ask me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 07:09 AM   #49
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yah, it's been demonstrated that the use of Waze plus any wireless charging causes overheating while Waze plus wired charging doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamace View Post
Now I get to use MagSafe to both hold my iPhone in place magnetically and charge it at 15W (vs 7.5W using Qi), very satisfied.
looking at your mount photo, i suspect you're not actually getting the full 15W charging experience with your MagSafe charger plugged into the vehicle's USB-A port as Apple states MagSafe doesn't work with USB-A. that port only provides 1.5A, and MagSafe charging requires 2.03-2.56A to get 12-15W of charging power (depending on iPhone 12 version). immediately upon placing it on the charger, do you get the MagSafe chime and lightning bolt within a circle animation (pictured) or the regular charging chime and battery icon (also pictured)? if the latter, then you're not getting MagSafe fast charging despite using that charger. It took a few trials, but i found an adapter that provides full 15W for my MagSafe charger and iPhone 12 Pro. I can provide an Amazon link if you want it.
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 04-05-2021 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
HZX540e373.50
      04-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #50
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ’23 X3 M40i Brooklyn Grey

Finally got my proclip installed. They didn’t tell me I would need one of their angle brackets - previous car had almost identical setup and came with the angle mount. I had to wait for the mount on back order then order the angle bracket and wait for that. Points docked for not mentioning that anywhere on the site or checkout.

So 3 parts: mount, angle bracket & phone holder (which I’ve reused for years with similarly sized phones since the width adjusts).

I may order another ball mount to put the angle bracket on so I can turn the phone more in my direction but I’m really only using the phone at stop lights and to ff/rew scan songs since it looks like wireless carplay doesn’t allow that via any infotainment and definitely not in iDrive.

Face ID works at this angle to unlock the phone so may just leave it.

I also like the mount with the charging cable piece built in (bought short cable separately and just pop it through the bottom of the mount) so I don’t have to plug and unplug the phone manually and have a long cord dangling somewhere. A bit more convenient this way.

Just another option to consider.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #51
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg05 View Post
They didn’t tell me I would need one of their angle brackets - previous car had almost identical setup and came with the angle mount. Points docked for not mentioning that anywhere on the site or checkout.
there's a Notice in the descriptions of all the adjustable console mounts that specifically states the default position is horizontal. it's likely cost-prohibitive for ProClip to provide an angled bracket with all console mounts as not all customers require it, so it's an additional accessory determined by need and not part of ProClip's 2-part mounting solution (mount and device holder), which they annotate several times on their site.

i looked into that too, but could foresee a few use issues:
  • may move/interfere with passenger seat adjustment (lots of short-legged passengers!)
  • may interfere with passenger leg comfort
  • too obtuse of an angle to read or respond to texts or access work-related, FaceID secured apps and other non-CarPlay apps
it's a pretty stealthy location for folks in areas cracking down on visibly using smart devices while driving (not that i condone breaking the law...VA just started in Jan '21), and it doesn't interfere with air flow or HVAC buttons like their ventilation dash mount, which i still settled for. still curious with it being that low, how far do you have to tweak your upper torso/face to engage FaceID?
Attached Images

Last edited by nZtiZia; 04-04-2021 at 11:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #52
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
there's a Notice in the descriptions of all the adjustable console mounts that specifically states the default position is horizontal. it's likely cost-prohibitive for ProClip to provide an angled bracket with all console mounts as not all customers will want/need it, so it's an additional accessory determined by need and not part of ProClip's 2-part mounting solution (mount and device holder), which they annotate several times on their site.

i looked into that too, but could foresee a few use issues:
  • may move/interfere with passenger seat adjustment (lots of short-legged passengers!)
  • may interfere with passenger leg comfort
  • too obtuse of an angle to read or respond to texts or access work-related, FaceID secured apps and other non-CarPlay apps
it's a pretty stealthy location for folks in areas cracking down on visibly using smart devices while driving (not that i condone breaking the law...VA just started in Jan '21), and it doesn't interfere with air flow or HVAC buttons like their ventilation dash mount, which i still settled for. still curious with it being that low, how far do you have to tweak your upper torso/face to engage FaceID?
Regarding your first point, when I ordered the exact same mount for my Audi S5 last year, the angled bracket was glued on and it all came in the same order without specifying so I assumed this one would as well. Again, could have been more clear but lesson learned and hopefully won’t need to order another mount for a while

Placement is actually really good. No issues with interference in the passenger legroom at all. I was worried about that as well but it fits well.

I agree with your concern about the angle of the screen, however, it does unlock with Face ID so I’m happy about that. Still considering getting another rotating joint to put the angle bracket on to really get a better view.

Everything is a trade off unfortunately. I was more worried about the vent and buttons getting covered with the other mount.

I need some driving time to really see how well it works as is but the fit is good.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      04-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #53
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I need some driving time to really see how well it works as is but the fit is good.
which one of the four available mount sizes fits our G05?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #54
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X6M, 2012 X5, 2018 M2

Quote:
Finally got my proclip installed. They didn’t tell me I would need one of their angle brackets - previous car had almost identical setup and came with the angle mount. I had to wait for the mount on back order then order the angle bracket and wait for that. Points docked for not mentioning that anywhere on the site or checkout.

So 3 parts: mount, angle bracket & phone holder (which I’ve reused for years with similarly sized phones since the width adjusts).

I may order another ball mount to put the angle bracket on so I can turn the phone more in my direction but I’m really only using the phone at stop lights and to ff/rew scan songs since it looks like wireless carplay doesn’t allow that via any infotainment and definitely not in iDrive.

Face ID works at this angle to unlock the phone so may just leave it.

I also like the mount with the charging cable piece built in (bought short cable separately and just pop it through the bottom of the mount) so I don’t have to plug and unplug the phone manually and have a long cord dangling somewhere. A bit more convenient this way.

Just another option to consider.
Very nice, can you provide links to all three products for ease of ordering?

Also, does it interfere with the cup holders?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #55
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
As you can see from the photos, it can't mount anywhere immediately around the box that houses the cup holders; you can position it very close to the bottom border of the box as to force your angle of cup removal or placement to be straight up and down, so probably best to mount it a little further back from that area. the charging cable is the likely interference culprit as it goes from the device holder to the USB-A port, which will depend if you have thermoregulated cup holders or not; not an issue if you use the armrest's USB-C port instead. The first page of this thread shows ProClip's default product photo showing their intended mounting position.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 03:48 PM   #56
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
Very nice, can you provide links to all three products for ease of ordering?

It does not interfere with the cup holders except for the cable. I purchased a 12 inch cable somewhere. I can’t find that link unfortunately. If you get the phone holder with the space built in for the lightning cable for an iPhone, you have to be careful as not every cable tip will fit through the housing due to size. I read some reviews when I was buying the cable and some had people complaining that some of the cables wouldn’t fit their phone cases so I stayed away from those since the molding around the lightning tip was too large to fir in the phone holder hole. If I were buying now, I would get a USB-C to lightning cable since there is a C port in the console. The one I’m currently using is a USB-A.

The mount has to sit further back on the console back as it ‘clips’ into the seam around the Idrive dial trim and the wood trim. It can’t sit too far forward and therefore can’t block the cup holder.

Again, I need a few longer drives with this setup to gauge how much I like it but so far so good.

Again, I might suggest ordering another ball joint to mount the angle bracket intonation then that into the console mount but you’ll have to make sure that would work. It should as they provide self tapping screws but I don’t think that is set up with predrilled holes like everything else is for a simple install.

See below for the links you requested. Hope this helps! Each link should have the page for the product and at the bottom, there is a tab/link for installation instructions so you can see how easy this system is to install. My biggest problem early on was dropping screws between the seat and the console!

AT a minimum you need: Phone Holder, Angled Bracket and Phone Mount. I would recommend a short USB-C to whatever your phone accepts and I would think about an add’l ball joint attached between the console mount and the angled bracket. They have photos on their site to look that up.

Phone Holder for IPHONE!! You should search to make sure you order the correct phone holder for your model: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/a...g-to-usb-cable

This one fit my IPhone X and my new iPhone 12 Pro so it saved me some $$ by reusing but if I were buying now I would purchase the exact model for my phone.

Angled Bracket: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/a...xtension-plate

Console Mount: https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount

****Do NOT order this one, this is just the listing for the console mount for my Audi S5 showing the angled bracket included for reference. Again, do NOT order this one!!!! **** @nztizia, for your reference

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/8...-console-mount

Last edited by jg05; 04-04-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4592.50
      04-04-2021, 03:57 PM   #57
jg05
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hmmm, after looking at the site just now, this MIGHT be a good option to consider. It’s an adjustable mounting bracket.

I’ll let someone else try this one and report back but it might negate the need for the extra ball joint and angled bracket (again, maybe - please ask Proclip as I don’t know if this gives enough phone clearance, works with the console mount, etc). I just found this and figured I would post. There are also gooseneck extensions and other things so poke around the site and realize you need something to attach the phone holder to the base that elevates it enough for clearance for the cable to plug in. Would love to see if this option works for anyone:

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/s...le-tilt-swivel
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #58
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
jg05 this may be the perfect solution for my wife or anyone else in the passenger seat. during long trips when not in use, she'll drop her phone in the cup holder (if vacant, but usually not). unsure if i'll get the aforementioned adjustable mounting bracket. thanks for the info!
Appreciate 1
jg05303.50
      04-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #59
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC, 2021 X7M50i

Quote:
Hmmm, after looking at the site just now, this MIGHT be a good option to consider. It’s an adjustable mounting bracket.

I’ll let someone else try this one and report back but it might negate the need for the extra ball joint and angled bracket (again, maybe - please ask Proclip as I don’t know if this gives enough phone clearance, works with the console mount, etc). I just found this and figured I would post. There are also gooseneck extensions and other things so poke around the site and realize you need something to attach the phone holder to the base that elevates it enough for clearance for the cable to plug in. Would love to see if this option works for anyone:

https://www.proclipusa.com/product/s...le-tilt-swivel
Could you please measure the dimensions of the mounting surface of the console mount top flat surface?

I am researching this Small Pedestal Mount+console mount option in lieu of the angled bracket+ball joint swivel mount+console mount. Proclip replied that the small pedestal mount is 1" shorter in height than the angled bracket. I plan to mount their GPS ball mount option so that I can use a iPitaka car magnet/charger and I am worried the small pedestal will be a little to short height wise. Still trying to figure out what the best solution give the lack of any good mounting spots in the F95.

Last edited by m-prsev; 04-10-2021 at 08:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 09:42 AM   #60
Xccelerate
Back in a BMW
Rep
Drives: 21 X5M Comp

Not a fan of blocking the vents, I throw mine in the charging pad.
Fiancé uses the cable to charge haha.

11' 1M Coupe Valencia 6MT OEM+ 289 of 740
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:12 PM   #61
m-prsev
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC, 2021 X7M50i

Here is the setup I ended up. This is a combination of the Proclips console mount + 70mm disk + iPitaka suction cup + iPitaka wireless charger. This works really well with my iPhone 12 pro max.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
GlennC321.00
      04-27-2021, 05:46 PM   #62
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Installed Kuda mount in combination with Pro clip. Perfect in my opinion - clean, convenient, doesn't interfere with cup holders, vents or any of the controls. Very simple to install.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 05:48 PM   #63
SlowX6M
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 1
m-prsev74.50
      07-04-2021, 01:39 AM   #64
Bayareabmwguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mclaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-prsev View Post
Anyone running a good phone mount? I want to stay away from anything with the vent as the vents appear to be very fragile as one of the vent pieces that pivots just broke shortly after I picked up my F95. I have been researching and given the angles and shape of our dash and center console there are not many options aside from sticking something to the leather dash that I am reluctant to doing as well.
I was looking for a solid phone mount. I bought 13 different mounts from Amazon and I found a winner. It doesn't cover the vent, construction is solid, and it won't damage the vent panels. I've also included photos of how it looks on my car.

I hate wireless charging because of the lack of speed, so I only use this to mount my phone and hardline directly to the USB to phone when charging. But, if you want wireless charging, this mount has it.

I hope this will save a lot of time for people.

SCOSCHE MCQVP-XTET MagicMount Charge3 10W Magnetic Qi-Certified Wireless Adhesive Charging Free Flow Vent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7CYRD2...UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 05:02 PM   #65
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Purely curious because I haven't had an iphone in a decade, but do iphones not have fast charging? Cause I have a PD battery which charges my phone in 15 min so basically I never plug it in in the car daily cause it's just easier not to (i.e., hassle with cords & Qi is too slow to be useful).

If I'm on a roadtrip and running JBV1, so the phone is always on showing the police warnings, I just put it in the cupholder and plug it in on top and then run Waze via android auto.

anyway, just wondering what the use-case is to need elaborate mounts ... Just never needed a mount on a daily basis, though I have occasionally used a windshield mount for JBV1.

For texts or whatever I just pick up my phone at a stop light, and for calls I use the bluetooth.

Just Gen-X curious, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:48 PM   #66
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Purely curious because I haven't had an iphone in a decade, but do iphones not have fast charging?
only the latest iPhone 12 models have 15W wireless charging except the iPhone 12 mini which maxes out at 12W.

personally, i need to access work apps that require FaceID log-ins which is easier to do if the phone is mounted versus in the wireless tray, cupholder, or pocket.

Last edited by nZtiZia; 07-04-2021 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00