BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2024, 04:22 PM   #1
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

22 45e Air Con Discussion

Hello all!

Just got a 22 45e. Awesome vehicle except 1 qualm which is the AC. Living in FL I’m worried about the outside heat.

Drove the car in the morning for a bit didn’t use AC since it was cool. Went shopping and came back out to a warm cabin. Turned on the AC; drove for a bit and Luke warm air still coming from the vent.

I have the temperature ventilation to cool for both driver and passenger; MAX AC was on and seat ventilation was on; the cabin was still warm and never cooled down (20 - 25 min drive to home).

Tried searching/ reading multiple posts but most relate it to the temp vent, don’t run synchronized or don’t run auto. Tried everything and the vent just seems to be running the fan oppose to any Freon/AC.

I also attempted to pre condition the car a couple hours later while it was charged / plugged in.

Went into the car and it was warmer inside then in the garage… I’m lost at what I’m possibly doing wrong? Last BMW was a E92 and don’t remember AC being an issue.

Thanks for any advice!
      03-21-2024, 04:28 PM   #2
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
what does your stratified air setting look like? (it's where you can fine-tune heat or cold in the central upper vents)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:38 PM   #3
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
what does your stratified air setting look like? (it's where you can fine-tune heat or cold in the central upper vents)
Both on max cool for driver and passenger.

I was wondering if I drove in sport mode to run the engine if that will generate the AC to cool more?
      03-21-2024, 05:08 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335 View Post
Both on max cool for driver and passenger.

I was wondering if I drove in sport mode to run the engine if that will generate the AC to cool more?
you’re thinking traditionally where the AC compressor’s speed depends on the engine’s speed. it doesn’t work that way in this PHEV where the HVAC system is completely powered by the high voltage battery that powers an inverter compressor.

sounds like you need to get it checked. though not rampant, there have been several reports of failed HVAC systems in the 45e with repairs ranging from simple refrigerant to complete overhauls. hopefully yours isn’t the latter

BTW I have a 2021 45e
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:47 PM   #5
fepstein
Rep
Drives: X7 xdrive40i

Go to Climate Control/Heating Ventilation/Front Passenger/ Temperature Adjustments

Check if that slider is in the center. See my photo attached. If that is not in the center, bring to the center. See if that helps…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:51 PM   #6
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fepstein View Post
Go to Climate Control/Heating Ventilation/Front Passenger/ Temperature Adjustments

Check if that slider is in the center. See my photo attached. If that is not in the center, bring to the center. See if that helps…
I asked this already. he said both driver and passenger sliders are all the way to the maximum coolness
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 08:52 PM   #7
fepstein
Rep
Drives: X7 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
I asked this already. he said both driver and passenger sliders are all the way to the cool end
Sorry…😬
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 08:19 AM   #8
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

I have the same model. The AC isn't as robust as in most cars I've had, especially if it's really hot outside and/or the car has been closed up. But it works a lot better than yours seems to.

Check the settings in the rear to make sure the heat isn't on back there. That has happened to me a few times when someone inadvertently brushed against the control.

If you precondition via the app, double check to confirm it's cooling, not heating. For some reason mine will randomly start pre-cooling when it's 40 degrees outside or heating when it's 90. Not often, but often enough that I always check.

After a lot of fiddling with the controls, I've found Auto is generally the way to go. Use Max AC if you need a rapid cool-down.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 01:24 PM   #9
Mr.335
Private First Class
Rep

100% an issue with the AC. Have an appt for the 1st but bought a cable and bimmerlink.

I randomly got a CEL; wondered if it was related to the AC since the car drove perfect (motor and electric).

Just ran the codes and it’s returning code 80216.

Saw this from another post.
801216 - Electric A/C compressor: Shut-down of air conditioning compressor due to vacuum in refrigerant circui
      03-23-2024, 01:37 PM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.335 View Post
100% an issue with the AC. Have an appt for the 1st but bought a cable and bimmerlink.

I randomly got a CEL; wondered if it was related to the AC since the car drove perfect (motor and electric).

Just ran the codes and it’s returning code 80216.

Saw this from another post.
801216 - Electric A/C compressor: Shut-down of air conditioning compressor due to vacuum in refrigerant circui
well there ya go!
Appreciate 0