BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Paint job

My G05 is two months old. I didn’t notice at first, but I have swirly really fine lines in the paint, almost wispy spider web looking, mostly noticeable in certain light. I have been through my car wash a few times and was suspecting them of being the culprit with the wax they use, because I had seen that before on a previous car, but that would just rub out, this won’t. I just waxed my hood and the rear tailgate section and it did not help. Finally, I took off my license plate to see if those lines were also where the car wash couldn’t have possibly hit, and sure enough, they were there. So.... is this something that likely came from the factory this way, or is it more likely that my dealer did it in his prep job. Anybody have any expert opinion on this? Also, I have seen comments about paint correction on here, is this something that paint correction could likely fix?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Siwirling is from those nasty auto car washes you're using. I don't have that issue on mine after a year because I hand wash only but you can't prevent all light marks without a proper coating (ceramic) or ppf
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Siwirling is from those nasty auto car washes you're using. I don't have that issue on mine after a year because I hand wash only but you can't prevent all light marks without a proper coating (ceramic) or ppf
No, not the car wash. It’s swirly underneath my license plate. The lines continue under there. I took it off to see. The car wash can’t get under my license plate.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

What’s your color? I would try polishing it out. I did a full concours detail polish of my carbon black and found lots of adhesive left from the plastic film. After my polish my paint is damn near perfect even by my ocd standards. Give it a quality polish. Automatic car washes are evil. I had to polish out marks on my wife’s black Audi from her going through a “touchless” car wash. She won’t doing that again.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
What’s your color? I would try polishing it out. I did a full concours detail polish of my carbon black and found lots of adhesive left from the plastic film. After my polish my paint is damn near perfect even by my ocd standards. Give it a quality polish. Automatic car washes are evil. I had to polish out marks on my wife’s black Audi from her going through a “touchless” car wash. She won’t doing that again.
My paint color is black sapphire metallic. And I did polish the hood and rear which did look good afterward but did not take out the fine swirly lines. It’s not my car wash, their equipment does not match the lines I’ve got, and like I said, the same lines are under the license plate. My wife’s 2011 535i is also black sapphire, uses the same car wash, and has no lines anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
robby818
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Post some pics?
Paint correction can remove very fine scratches but if they are too deep then the detailer may not want to cut aggressively into the clear coat to get them out.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2019, 04:06 PM   #7
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby818 View Post
Post some pics?
Paint correction can remove very fine scratches but if they are too deep then the detailer may not want to cut aggressively into the clear coat to get them out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

That is bad polishing or polishing with contaminated towels. If not that then someone used their butt or arm rubbing across it when there was dirt on the paint or dried it off with a dirty chamois. You can get them out with P21 paint cleaner. As you know black is hypersensative to any contaminants or agressive polishing compounds.

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-06-2019 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
Quote:
No, not the car wash. It's swirly underneath my license plate. The lines continue under there. I took it off to see. The car wash can't get under my license plate.
dirt can get behind th plate and the agitation from those carpet things hitting the car will scratch the paint or clear coat. Also drying with dirty towels can cause those marks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:17 PM   #10
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is bad polishing or polishing with contaminated towels. If not that then someone used their butt or arm rubbing across it when there was dirt on the paint or dried it off with a dirty chamois. You can get them out with P21 paint cleaner. As you know black is hypersensative to any contaminants or agressive polishing compounds.
They won’t wax out, I tried that today. I think you’re right, and I”m wondering who did it. I know it’s not the car wash, so it’s either my dealer or the factory, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’ll check out that paint cleaner, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
MystroX5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They won’t wax out, I tried that today. I think you’re right, and I”m wondering who did it. I know it’s not the car wash, so it’s either my dealer or the factory, that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I’ll check out that paint cleaner, thanks.
I can get them out with my orbital polisher and P21 cleaner. You don’t want to use any agressive polishing compounds. Just a light paint cleaner and go over it multiple times with little pressure. Use a ultra high quality microfiber towel.
My wife’s black Audi was much worse than that and I got it looking perfect. You have outstanding paint on your X5. You might want to show it to your dealer next time you are there and ask if they have a pro in detail department that can buff it out. Shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes. I did a entire car that looked like that and it took me 2 hours with my buffer. I have a standing order at my dealer not to wash my car unless a particular pro I know is working. I am a PCA concours judge and teach a class every year for my chapter. I wish I lived closer cause I would have you bring it by my house and I would take care of it. These dealers have kids washing $100k vehicles and I have seen horrible results from their “free” washes at service.

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12350B-P...paint+cleanser

Last edited by MystroX5; 01-06-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
      01-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #12
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Quote:
I know people are passionate on this forum, but people seriously still hand wash their cars? I can’t even imagine having the time to do that.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I can get them out with my orbital polisher and P21 cleaner. You don’t want to use any agressive polishing compounds. Just a light paint cleaner and go over it multiple times with little pressure. Use a ultra high quality microfiber towel.
My wife’s black Audi was much worse than that and I got it looking perfect. You have outstanding paint on your X5. You might want to show it to your dealer next time you are there and ask if they have a pro in detail department that can buff it out. Shouldn’t take longer than 15 minutes. I did a entire car that looked like that and it took me 2 hours with my buffer. I have a standing order at my dealer not to wash my car unless a particular pro I know is working. I am a PCA concours judge and teach a class every year for my chapter. I wish I lived closer cause I would have you bring it by my house and I would take care of it. These dealers have kids washing $100k vehicles and I have seen horrible results from their “free” washes at service.

Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/P21S-12350B-P...paint+cleanser
I’ll give that a try, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 04:44 PM   #14
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

From what you've posted, I'd suspect the dealer. The factory goes to great lengths to ensure the paint is protected. Sounds like your dealer's detailer was using crap/dirty drying towels.

With the right process and approach, that will come right out.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
From what you've posted, I'd suspect the dealer. The factory goes to great lengths to ensure the paint is protected. Sounds like your dealer's detailer was using crap/dirty drying towels.

With the right process and approach, that will come right out.
I think it was the dealer, too, Lump...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 06:06 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Quote:
I know people are passionate on this forum, but people seriously still hand wash their cars? I can’t even imagine having the time to do that.
yes, every weekend I do mine unless it's raining the next day or two. it takes about 2 hours and is quite relaxing
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      01-06-2019, 06:17 PM   #17
JLR0523
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

The day we brought our Phytonic Blue 50i home last month I noticed the same type of micro scratches and swirls. Agree with all the opinions here on how it happened with a dry towel, etc. I typically do my own polishing but since we were having Xpel wrap installed I had them do a full paint correction prior to install of Xpel. It looks amazing now. All the swirls are gone. I know you’re asking opinions - But you should never use an auto car wash. The brushes, waxes and soaps they use. They scrub someone else’s grub and grime into your paint. When I hand wash with two buckets I know I’m not scrubbing dirt into the finish causing scratches, etc. plus I know the soap I’m using is quality without leaving film behind, etc. it’s the only way to know for sure.
      01-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0523 View Post
The day we brought our Phytonic Blue 50i home last month I noticed the same type of micro scratches and swirls. Agree with all the opinions here on how it happened with a dry towel, etc. I typically do my own polishing but since we were having Xpel wrap installed I had them do a full paint correction prior to install of Xpel. It looks amazing now. All the swirls are gone. I know you’re asking opinions - But you should never use an auto car wash. The brushes, waxes and soaps they use. They scrub someone else’s grub and grime into your paint. When I hand wash with two buckets I know I’m not scrubbing dirt into the finish causing scratches, etc. plus I know the soap I’m using is quality without leaving film behind, etc. it’s the only way to know for sure.
Thanks for the comments! I’m getting encouraged that I can get the swirls out, now it’s just a question of how. As far as the car wash, mine is pretty good. I had my F15 for five years and had no problems with the paint because of the car wash. I really don’t have a choice but to use it or have a dirty car, so I use it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #19
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed, you can't guarantee other things won't cause fine marks like strong winds + sand or other things. I've had to buff out a lot of small marks from road debris, sand etc, thankfully bone were caused by washing the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #20
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the comments! I'm getting encouraged that I can get the swirls out, now it's just a question of how. As far as the car wash, mine is pretty good. I had my F15 for five years and had no problems with the paint because of the car wash. I really don't have a choice but to use it or have a dirty car, so I use it.
Do you have a touchless carwash around your area? One of those would be much safer than the usual automatic washes
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #21
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Quote:
Rinseless wash every 1-2 weeks. Having a coating on the body and wheels helps the car stay cleaner between washings. Takes less than a half hour each wash.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #22
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Slightly related I hope ... what is "paint correction"? The term implies (to me) that the factory f**ked up and something needs to be "corrected"?
Appreciate 0